New Horse

Becky19

New User
Visit site
I've bought a new thoroughbred, an ex racer. I've retrained one before using a lot of flat work, working long and low and a lot of hacking, also encouraging the horse to stretch, which worked really well with her! My new one is not responding so well to the type of schooling I've used previously. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to slow him down and get him out of racing mode? Or has anyone had the same type of experience with an ex racer and what methods did you use to retrain them?

ImmyS

Visit site
I've bought a new thoroughbred, an ex racer. I've retrained one before using a lot of flat work, working long and low and a lot of hacking, also encouraging the horse to stretch, which worked really well with her! My new one is not responding so well to the type of schooling I've used previously. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to slow him down and get him out of racing mode? Or has anyone had the same type of experience with an ex racer and what methods did you use to retrain them?

Lots and lots and lots of groundwork to improve basic lateral flexibility. Remember ex racers have been trained to run fast in a straight line, they have no ability or knowledge of how to carry and balance themselves. Groundwork such as turning the hindquarters, turning the forehand, backing up, lateral stretches will all be greatly beneficial when its translated into ridden work. I was working with my ex racer today actually, she's just been hacked all winter and is now starting school work. She is fine in a walk but as soon as we go up a gear she rushes, motorbikes, falls in, drops the shoulder, spooks etc... You name it she does it.

Today we just took it right back to basics to get her lifting her shoulders and finding self carriage independently, so we walked in a straight line then asked for a 5 m circle on one rein, carry on around the circle until carrying herself properly then re join the straight line, after about five to six strides go onto a 5m circle on the other rein. We repeated this process up and down the field until she was totally balanced. This sounds bizarre but it really works in getting them initially balanced and lifting their shoulders - when turning the circles I would lift up my inside hand up high, slightly out wards for guidance and turn my hand upside down so thumb is facing downwards. (very non bhs I know, but it works!) whilst keeping the outside hand high also and consistent to guide round and to support. The difference in my girl in one session was incredible, she was for the first time ever carrying herself, not being pulled into a false 'shape'.

We then translated this to the trot, but not attempting any circles just focusing on her lifting her shoulders and not rushing. So she's popped into trot and the first thing that happens - head comes up and she rushes. So every time she rushes even a step we dramatically turned and changed direction, as soon as she rushed again she was turn immediately, after having to change directions about three times she discovered it was much easier to relax into the contact and carry herself and I got the best trot out of her I had ever seen, yes self carriage and impulsion is hard work for a horse, especially and ex racer but they soon learn it is much more hard work and uncomfortable to be turned every time they rush and they soon search for the comforting supportive contact and self carriage that is established in the walking 5m circles exercise. I'm going to continue with this with my girl just keeping it easy and basic and after a couple of weeks she should be ready to move up to canter and more demanding lateral work. Taking things slowly and not running before you can walk is key.

Hope this helps a little!