New horsebox - how to pay tax?

Jo1987

Visit site
Hi all, possibly a stupid question - I'm buying my first horsebox soon, and haven't taxed any kind of vehicle since the law changed meaning the old owner surrenders remaining tax and new owner re-taxes.
The government website isn't very clear, is it possible to tax the lorry over the phone (it's a 5 ton) or do I need to go to a post office to do it, and which documents will I need?
Thanks in advance!

supsup

Visit site
I bought my vehicle tax online (DVLA webpage), to start on the day I picked up my horsebox. You need some info from the vehicle registration for it (can't remember what numbers, but the DVLA page will tell you what you need), so you need to get those from the current owner. My box was a 3.5t, so not sure if having a 5t makes a difference.

popsdosh

Visit site
You will need the doc ref number from the green slip . Expect problems if the previous owner has not notified them. Particularly if the previous tax had run out and not been on sorn.
Its easier to do it over the phone if you are unsure as if there is an issue it cannot be done at PO but can be put right on the phone . Make sure the insurance is in place well before you try any method.It can take 24hrs or longer to show on database electronically

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks supsup, 5ton is apparently classed as HGV so may be different, I'm hoping I can do it over the phone as it will be much more awkward traipsing backwards and forwards from the lorry to the post office and back to the lorry when the lorry is already 2 hours from where I live!

ponydi

Visit site
When my daughter bought a wagon (7.5) recently she had insurance sorted, and literally borrowed the seller's computer to tax it online before she set off for home

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks ponydi that's helpful, I don't suppose you know if the lorry needs to be SORN'd before the new owner taxes it? The government website just says that when the DVLA is notified that the vehicle has been sold, it will automatically refund the previous owner so there's no need to SORN before its sold - but this means it will be taxed twice for a week or so until the tax is refunded?!
I'm not keen on this new system, I don't understand it all I'm afraid!

supsup

Visit site
Yes. When I got my box, it was still taxed by the previous owner. It was then double-taxed for a couple of weeks until she was refunded her tax (back-dated to that day I bought the box). Having the box double-taxed is not an issue.