New House - Bad Fencing

Croeso

Visit site
2 weeks ago we moved to wales with horses!

Starting to get in the paddocks now, and every where I look I see dangers and having to fence of big parts of the field

row of oak trees, stream with rocks, 25 foot drop just to mention a few

what is worrying was there has been horses on this land for at least the last 25 years!
and the old guy that lived here, his mare lived to 38!
Am I just being over fussy? people keep telling me I am in wales now they have to get used to getting there feet muddy!

they are welsh cobs after all, but there not used to it

theres also lots of black thorn, I am just thats no good for them either?

fgroom

Visit site
I wouldn't be worried about the stream as long as it's not to narrow incase the horses rolled to near and got wedged, I would be worried about the 25 foot drop and also the oak trees, but then again I worry about everyting!!

pixie

Visit site
As for streams, near FIL's farm there are paddocks next to a rather deep river, from which the animals drink - Cows, sheep, goats and horses. In all the years they've been there they've only known 1 occurence of a horse falling in. Animals can be suprisingly sensible sometimes.
I would fence off the oak trees, because I think acorns are poisonous? I would also fence off the "cliff". Wouldn't bother with the stream.

Croeso

Visit site
the stream is very narrow about 2 foot wide and smaller in places with big boulders in it and around it

we worked out the fencing alone is £1600 then theres labour on top

eeks!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Having lived in Mid Wales I know exactly what you are talking about.

Fortunately the Welsh Mountain Pony I had knew the territory well and had a complete valley to graze in which had all sorts of dangers.

However if your horses have not been brought up in these surroundings I would suggest that you fence off any dangers. It just is not worth the risk.

I use post and rail fencing with Equ-fencing (a tight knit sheep fencing developed for horses). Although I use treated wood for the post and rail fencing I always repaint it all before I put it up as it makes it last that much longer and then once it is put up I staple the Equi-Fencing on to the post and rail fencing. The fencing will prevent horses kicking through the fencing and injuring themselves or other horses on the other side.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
There are some things horses cope well with and not others. if you go and look in the archives of my blog you will see our lot mostly have to cope with rabbit holes, rocks, badger setts, some falling down fencing and streams, ditches, boggy parts etc.
Most horses who retire here arrive never having seen a real life environment more a controlled well fenced and often flat area. the all cope incredibly well and injuries are very rare (you watch, I'll get loads now!)
Things they don't cope with are unfenced drops, I know this from years ago when we grazed the side of a quarry, one pony fell off and broke his neck, so fence that drop.
The rocks, streams etc don't worry about, the blackthorn (and we have loads) sometimes causes eye problems and we tend to treat them seriously right away.
I lived in Wales with lots of horses (jobs) for a few years and your Welsh Cobs have niftyness and avoiding bogs bred into their genes, don't worry about them.
In fact as horses go you probably have some of the best for surefootedness.
Hope you're happy in your new home.