New life to look forward to

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I have a bit of history when it comes to moving on when life gives me a bit of a kicking but this is the biggest upheaval yet. I have bought a little farm in South West County Sligo and I'm going to retire in five and a half weeks time and up sticks. The sale of 8 acres of windswept Dartmoor and some fairly dilapidated stables plus my beloved shepherd's hut financed all but €20,000 of the purchase price of a compact 3 bed/2 bath single story house in the Irish tradition which is in good order, another 2 room plus bathroom cottage in good order, a corrugated 2 bay Dutch barn and a concrete block cow shed which I will convert to stables. There is a space ideal for a school (no planning required) and a few other outbuildings with solid walls and good roofs and an unspeakable outside lav. Most of the land is peat bog but there is enough good quality pasture for my needs. It isn't pretty country but it is 1 mile from the village, 4 miles from the nearest town and 9 miles from Knock Airport and the bog tracks are great for hacking so ideal for a 60 year old. I never dreamed I could have my horses at home or be able to design my own stables (Monarch catalogue in the post). There is a fair amount of detritus in some of the buildings which I suppose I will be left to dispose of but actually I can't wait to get stuck in - even the loo! I would be madly excited if I could bring myself to believe it is happening.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Céad Míle Fáilte! Give us a shout when you arrive and I'll let you know where all the best venues are (if you don't already have all that sussed out). I'm on the other side of the country but occasionally venture over that direction.

Carpé Diem (I'm trilingual, me...).

Last edited:

Shady

Visit site
It won't really hit you until you are actually there!( and having another look at the unspeakable toilet wondering if it's really you that has to remove it!!)
Well done and the very best of luck in your new life, exciting times ahead:)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Fantastic. I'm excited for you. My aunt moved to a cottage overlooking Galway Bay many years ago and I spent many summer's riding around Connemara. Maybe one day, I'll be as brave as you and take the plunge.

TPO

Visit site
How exciting! Wishing you all the best with the move and your future

Hopefully you'll keep the forum updated with lots of before, during and after photos <hint, hint>

Tarragon

Visit site
Sounds fantastic! To move this time of year with the whole of the best of the year ahead of you with the space and time to make something out of it all - I must admit that I am a tad jealous!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Céad Míle Fáilte! Give us a shout when you arrive and I'll let you know where all the best venues are (if you don't already have all that sussed out). I'm on the other side of the country but occasionally venture over that direction.

Carpé Diem (I'm trilingual, me...).

Me too, let me know when you get here! Not a million miles away from you OP, and distance is relative anyway because there's not much traffic :)

Merrymoles

Visit site
That's brilliant - well done you!

Strangely enough, friend and I were discussing whether either of us would make a "big" move again at the weekend - I'm nearer your age than hers and I would but her husband, almost your age, thinks only about retirement and an easy life.

As others have said, we need pictures!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's very good value for money over here (in some parts) - €300k would have bought my friend's little place last year - a lovely old farmhouse, stables, arena, 5 acres of paddocks, lovely hacking, lovely views, and a stone's throw from Cavan EC. Don't all rush at once ;)

That sounds suspiciously like my place! I'm off to Spain in a few years if anyone wants to buy mine?