New Look H & H

hobo

Visit site
I will have to cancel my subscription after many, many years. I can not read it now the print is to small, why should I have to get glasses just to read it last weeks is fine. Paper seemed thinner as well so it gave it a cheap feel.
I know I do not like change but if I can not read it , it is no use having it.

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Thank you for your comments, which have been taken on board. The size of some fonts are going to be reviewed in 30 April edition. Hopefully that will make it a more comfortable read for you. I can confirm that the paper stock has not been changed during the past few issues.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thank you for your comments, which have been taken on board. The size of some fonts are going to be reviewed in 30 April edition. Hopefully that will make it a more comfortable read for you. I can confirm that the paper stock has not been changed during the past few issues.
Good news about the font size being 'reviewed', much of the print was indeed teeny weeny in the current edition.

Re the paper thickness, I agree with above posters that it is now too thin. I appreciate that it has been this way for a few issues now, but it is seriously compromising the enjoyment of reading the paper mag. The pages won't stay flat properly for me to read easily, I have to to pull them flat all the time, and the paper is now very reflective, so I'm squinting a lot and moving the mag about to get a decent viewing angle.

Reading a magazine shouldn't be so complicated :).

I am a long term postal subscriber.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Cheap nasty and I can't read it .
Think it's time to me to move on .
I have been buying Hand H since was old enough to have the money ( 15 I think ) that's make it a half century of buying end of an era for me .

Last edited:

MerryMystie

New User
Visit site
Please go back to the old H & H - this weeks edition was not an enjoyable read, despite the excellent content.
My subscription is due for renewal in May - won't bother if it stays as is.

Last edited:

frostyfingers

Visit site
I dislike the new font size too - I know it's hard to adapt sometimes and I'm prepared to hang on in there, but I really don't like it. It just seems a bit flimsy (I don't mean the paper) just the headings etc - also the article entitled Training (with Patrick Kittel) looked as though it was part of the ad opposite. Content is still ok (more point to point reports please?) but as above layout currently is not to my liking.

Also they said they'd been asking readers and subscribers for input - I didn't see anything about it......

gunnergundog

Visit site
Just come back from village newsagent MINUS my regular H&H. Flicked over a few pages and put it back. Had the prescription for my glasses updated in January this year, so don't blame my eyesight H&H.

Rapidash

Visit site
I disagree- I've been enjoying reading it more and more. Some good content lately, and far more grown up than Your Horse etc.

Seems a shame to stop buying it because of a font- especially when it seems hh are keen to take criticism on board and change it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I disagree- I've been enjoying reading it more and more. Some good content lately, and far more grown up than Your Horse etc.

Seems a shame to stop buying it because of a font- especially when it seems hh are keen to take criticism on board and change it.

There's no point in paying for magazine that you dip in and out of if you have find your specs and sit by a light to read it .

Chiffy

Visit site
I always look forward to my H and H arriving on a Thursday and hoped the new format that was promised would be good. Sadly I agree with the other posters and found it difficult to read. I had already noticed that the paper had become thinner over the last little while.
I have been reading H and H for 50 years and been a subscriber for 40. I would be so sad if the quality continues to deteriorate.

vanrim

Visit site
I couldn't read the dressage results. I would have needed a bloody magnifying glass. What on earth is going on?

milos

Visit site
I buy every week at newsagents. I'm sorry but I have to agree I really don't like the new layout. The font chosen and size is awful. I prefer the old layout. Please put it back!

Shay

Visit site
The results pages were very hard to read. But what bothers me more than anything is the paper quality. Yes I know its been thinner for a while. But this is a magazine aimed at people with an active outside interest. Since arriving this week's copy as been... Rolled up and stuffed in my bag to read on the train. Confiscated by my daughter to read the horses for sale bits and then she slept on it. Sat on by the dog. Slobbered on by 2 horses. Stood on by the cat. I have now got it back and it is in the show box as we head out to an ODE which is set to be windy. (I don't think it would survive the rain now...) I'm less than 1/2 way through and it is falling apart. With the old paper stock the cover used to come off quite often but the pages remained more or less readable depending on muddy paws etc. Can we have the old paper stock back?

Oh.. and the funny photo bit on the index page? Really miss that!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Good content, but it all looked uninviting, boring and 'anaemic' in black and white eg. the 'comments' like Anna Ross and Pippa Roome etc and just generally really eg. page 44 the 'from famine to feast' box would of looked better in the old style in a coloured box.

Another one who misses the funny photos

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I'm going to disagree. I like the new layout although did find the size a bit tricky and I am 21 with good eyesight.

I think the content is slowly improving but there are still far fewer features than other horses mags.

Another one wanting the funny pictures back though!

Nicnac

Visit site
Have also been a postal subscriber for more years than I care to remember and my Nana used to buy it and send it over to me when I lived abroad once I'd grown out of Jackie magazine! Couldn't read Thursday's edition despite using reading glasses (that I don't usually need!!) I didn't even try to look at the results as they were minute.

Thought poor paper quality more evident in new format. Will give it a couple more weeks but am veering towards cancelled subscription which is hugely disappointing as Thursday's will not be the same.

I really enjoyed the issues edited by the guest editors however but really not sure what this new format is trying to achieve.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm going against the majority too. I liked it, didn't find the paper any different, and found the print fine to read (but have good eyesight in general). I would go as far as to say that I preferred it, but that could be because it had more eventing in as the season is starting, and I am more interested in eventing than hunting (I generally only buy it for eventing news and don't buy it in winter).

I've found H&H difficult to find for a couple of years now.

Would love to comment, but I couldn't get a copy. None of my local newsagents had one.

Mariposa

Visit site
Another unhappy subscriber here! The font is really small - much smaller than normal magazines ( and I work in press so I do see a lot of publications!)

I'm not a huge fan of the layout. I'm just not sure why they felt they needed to change it, the layout before was good!

fburton

Visit site
I don't understand why some people believe that change is good in itself. If the changes made to the magazine were really needed, and not some fashion faddy thing, I'd be very interested to hear the rationale behind them.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I'm another one going against the majority and I'm a graphic designer!! I must say I really like the new layout. I thought it had got a bit thin on content in recent times and felt like you could flip through it in minutes. Now it feels more like you can sit down with a nice juicy chunk of stuff to read. I like it!!

I'm going against the majority too. I liked it, didn't find the paper any different, and found the print fine to read (but have good eyesight in general). I would go as far as to say that I preferred it, but that could be because it had more eventing in as the season is starting, and I am more interested in eventing than hunting (I generally only buy it for eventing news and don't buy it in winter).

I've found H&H difficult to find for a couple of years now.

fairyclare

Visit site
I have cancelled my subscription.

My reasons being, its wafer thin, ever increasing price and its full of full page adverts or pictures (such as Nicola Wilsons face!)
It just no longer makes me want to sit down with a big cup of tea and start the epic 'cover to cover' read :(