new mare - being grumpy

clarenz

New User
Visit site
Hi, my new mare, who I have had 3 weeks has just started putting her ears back when I take her feed into her paddock. She puts her ears back and swings her neck at me. I feel it is a display of dominance (?), so should I reply in a dominant way? I tell her to get back in a gruff voice and she doesnt do anything but it is a bit strange as she was fine before and is fine once her nose is in the bucket. She is currently at grass on her own. Its still winter, we are in NZ. I would love a second opinion please

Clodagh

Visit site
Perhaps she has settled in a bit and is testing you? Maybe before she was too unsure of her new surroundings?

Can't help with the answers, though, but maybe catch her before you feed her, at least that way she can't progress to swinging her bum and you can control her with a headcollar.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Initially I thought it may be seasons - if she was ok - but has suddenly become moody - but seeing as though you're in NZ it may not be the case! LOL!

Is she happy spending time alone? Maybe that is an issue for her? She may be feeling insecure - what were her living arrangements like before?
Kate x