NEW MICROCHIPPING RULES & VERY OLD EQUINES

sywell

Visit site
I did a freedom of information request to DEFRA on how many horses on the CED have no microchip the reply 611000,nice earner for vets and we know many horses do not have passports. I did have a chat with the EU head of the Department responsible for the new breeding rules for horse,pigs,sheep ect and he indicated his department was looking at the situation in Ireland regarding the movement of livestock which horse are in the EU but in England they are pets.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Not a waste of time, no. Only if people comply will it be possible to move on those who don't. Passports are for the benefit of the horse, never mind if they are not routinely checked - your passports are not checked unless you travel abroad, are they?
the point i was making was that they havent managed to get all horses passported and i was under the impression ALL equines had to have a passport and we were told the passport must be with the horse at all times, so how will the microchip law be enforced?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
the point i was making was that they havent managed to get all horses passported and i was under the impression ALL equines had to have a passport and we were told the passport must be with the horse at all times, so how will the microchip law be enforced?

I have no idea how your country intends to enforce the rules, perhaps you should ask? I do know how it works here, and that is whenever a horse is registered, or changes ownership, is vetted, goes to slaughter, to sales, or is found straying, then it's microchip is checked, and its' passport. I have had horses' chips checked, and passports, when returning to Ireland from competing overseas.

meleeka

Visit site
I do know how it works here, and that is whenever a horse is registered, or changes ownership, is vetted, goes to slaughter, to sales, or is found straying, then it's microchip is checked, and its' passport.

And therein lies the problem. That’s was is supposed to happen here, but doesn’t.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Microchips give owners a false sense of security. When I was selling, the vet couldn't find the chip and did it again. Same with my dog. He had to have it done a second time as my latest small animal vet will only treat a dog that has been chipped.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have no idea how your country intends to enforce the rules, perhaps you should ask? I do know how it works here, and that is whenever a horse is registered, or changes ownership, is vetted, goes to slaughter, to sales, or is found straying, then it's microchip is checked, and its' passport. I have had horses' chips checked, and passports, when returning to Ireland from competing overseas.

So why is my friend routinely buying horses in Ireland, quite often at the mart, and then having to chip and passport them?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I had one of mine chipped 18 years ago when she was a weanling. On the crest above where the chip went in she developed a small wound leaking pus. I treated it but it wouldn't heal. Got the vet and he gave antibiotics. Healed then a few days later started again, got another lot of antibiotics and the same thing happened. Took her into the vets and they operated on her. There was a fistula from the chip to her crest and they had to cut it all out, not sure if they took the chip out or not. Wound about 4 inches long. It seems that either her body was trying to reject the chip or when she was chipped it had pushed some dirt or hair in which was causing the problem. She healed up after that but still has a nasty scar. Cost me a fair bit all in all , all for doing the right thing and getting her chipped.

w1bbler

Visit site
I did a freedom of information request to DEFRA on how many horses on the CED have no microchip the reply 611000,nice earner for vets and we know many horses do not have passports. I did have a chat with the EU head of the Department responsible for the new breeding rules for horse,pigs,sheep ect and he indicated his department was looking at the situation in Ireland regarding the movement of livestock which horse are in the EU but in England they are pets.

But I imagine several of those horses are no longer alive. I've got 2 passports of horses that are no longer around & I know a few other people in the same situation.

Nasicus

Visit site
Microchips give owners a false sense of security. When I was selling, the vet couldn't find the chip and did it again. Same with my dog. He had to have it done a second time as my latest small animal vet will only treat a dog that has been chipped.
I always ask the vet (Equine and otherwise) to do a quick check of the chip at yearly vaccinations, just to ensure it's still working.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
So why is my friend routinely buying horses in Ireland, quite often at the mart, and then having to chip and passport them?

Because not everybody does as they are supposed to, and probably the mart is not a licensed horse sale. But note that she has to passport and chip them before shipping, so that at least shows that someone is following the rules.

Bearsmum

Visit site
I won't be getting my early 30's old guy chipped. He's needle/vet phobic and it would be a big ordeal for him and need sedating to insert chip then get near enough to check it. He won't leave the yard, he's retired and is kept in a secure environment where he couldn't stray. Stupid law, they can't be far off most horses being of an age they should have been chipped due to previous legislation. Maybe they should put their efforts into dealing with those who flout the current microchip laws first......🙄

This is Bear too, although 'only23'! he's 16.3 and extremely dangerous to inject, I just wouldn't try to put him through it or risk the vet or someone else getting hurt

Merrymoles

Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is currently a hot topic of debate on our yard as my friend's 27-year-old "should" be microchipped by October but we are debating what the point is?

I've just read back on the Government announcement of the new law in 2018 and it's as clear as mud in terms of how it will be managed.

Apparently it is designed to improve horse welfare. Really??? So who is going to be responsible for checking the microchips in all the horses that we know are the most likely candidates to be fly-grazed, starved or dumped dead or dying in laybys? I can't see any local authorities having the resources or the wish to step up to the plate on that one. Local authorities don't generally have horse experts as part of their standard staff list so how are they supposed to tackle checking for microchips in a field full of semi-feral, barely-handled horses.

I get it that it's a good idea in principle but in practice it is nothing more than an additional cost for your average leisure horse owner, won't be managed or policed and I don't expect to see a single prosecution for no microchip any time in the foreseeable future.

ETA for those who missed it in 2018, here is a link to the announcement. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/compulsory-microchipping-to-improve-horse-welfare

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I get it that it's a good idea in principle but in practice it is nothing more than an additional cost for your average leisure horse owner, won't be managed or policed and I don't expect to see a single prosecution for no microchip any time in the foreseeable future.
I didn't post originally but this is my feeling too, with the retrospective chipping of older horses.
I have a couple of retirees who never leave their field. If they were owned by me then I would feel pretty hacked off about the rule coming in. as it is they are owned by a charity who will be chasing me up for their chip details therefore I have to cough up and comply.

all my others are chipped (except the foal who will be done fairly soon). but it seems pointless for the oldies. however i guess it would be impossible to apply one rule for people like me who will keep the horses secure until the end of their days vs someone who will fly graze them or whatever.

Merrymoles

Visit site
however i guess it would be impossible to apply one rule for people like me who will keep the horses secure until the end of their days vs someone who will fly graze them or whatever.

You are, of course, completely right on that but that one rule won't be enforced on those who will fly graze or whatever!

Reacher

Visit site
I had a letter from the passport company telling me their records show my horse has no microchip. In fact he does have a chip but the previous owners who did it didn’t update his passport. I am not sure whether I am obliged to pay for the passport people to update their records or is the fact that he is chipped (and is registered with Anibase and I have the details sufficient?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
This is interesting! I didn’t know about this new law regarding microchipping, I thought it was just that horses from. Now on we’re to be microchipped on passporting (as a youngster). Does it stand yet? My riding horse and my youngster are (my young one has two chips!) but I won’t be getting my 30ur old pony and my 26yr old shetland done. They will be staying on this farm until the end of their days.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had a letter from the passport company telling me their records show my horse has no microchip. In fact he does have a chip but the previous owners who did it didn’t update his passport. I am not sure whether I am obliged to pay for the passport people to update their records or is the fact that he is chipped (and is registered with Anibase and I have the details sufficient?
Both ours just have chip number written on one of the back pages.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Conflicted myself. My younger horse is chipped, but my mare is nearly 20 and retired. Barely leaves the field aside from the odd walk out. Younger horse is due his jab in Sept, though, so may get her done, as an extra 20 quid on top of vet call out, teeth and vaccinations won't seem so much, then.

lannerch

Visit site
Not a waste of time, no. Only if people comply will it be possible to move on those who don't. Passports are for the benefit of the horse, never mind if they are not routinely checked - your passports are not checked unless you travel abroad, are they?
Which is why if you don’t travel abroad people rarely have one , my oh certainly doesn’t .

HashRouge

Visit site
My 27 year old was chipped years ago because when I first had her as an 11 yr old (me, not her) I was convinced that as a purebred Arab she would be a prime target for horse thieves. I blame the Jinny at Finmory book where Shantih gets stolen! However, if she wasn't chipped I think I'd be conflicted due to her age and the fact she never leaves the yard. I'd probably get it done though just because the thought of not obeying the law makes me twitchy!

meleeka

Visit site
I still have two oldies that aren’t chipped. They never leave the property and I won’t be getting them done. I will be delighted to be proven wrong, but I don’t think it’ll get enforced at all. Chipping of dogs is law now, but that’s certainly not made any difference.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
For riding club qualifiers you now have to write the microchip number on the declaration form instead of the passport number (they say it is a more reliable way to track a horse then passport name), any horse without a microchip won't be able to compete.

If your horse is retired and not going anywhere then I don't think I would bother!

Shay

Visit site
I don't plan on chipping our oldie. He's freezemarked and as a piebald easily identifiable. He isn't going to enter the human food chain (which is really where the chipping debate started.)