NEW MICROCHIPPING RULES & VERY OLD EQUINES

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As it's been mandatory to chip in the year of birth from 2009, all those equines 11 and under should be chipped
and since passports became mandatory in 2005 those equines 15 and under should have one.......shouldnt they......

Except there is no penalty ever seen to be carried out. No dumped in a lane body, nor flygrazers have either, never heard of anyone being fined the 'unlimited' amounts...yet!

Bearsmum

Visit site
I need to ask what our yard owners policy is on this as I don't want to chip Bear if I don't have to; he's happily retired there & has a huge needle phobia

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm not intending to do my 18year old either. We used to do area qualifiers but we won't be doing them now if we need a microchip number. The passport system is already flawed, so how will this be any different? Yes it's easier and quicker to scan, but who will be out doing the scanning? The only people that will get this done are the ones who need to do it so that they can compete etc, not the ones that sell horses willy nilly or the ones that dump them left right and centre. And isn't that the aim of the whole thing? To prevent that and know the horse's information.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My 27 year old was chipped years ago because when I first had her as an 11 yr old (me, not her) I was convinced that as a purebred Arab she would be a prime target for horse thieves. I blame the Jinny at Finmory book where Shantih gets stolen! However, if she wasn't chipped I think I'd be conflicted due to her age and the fact she never leaves the yard. I'd probably get it done though just because the thought of not obeying the law makes me twitchy!

Same here I got my now 25yr old done voluntarily when I bought him 15years ago just because if he were stolen he could be identified, just as I have my cats and dog chipped. I’ve never updated it on his passport with the PIO though as it’s BWP in Belgium and it seems like a faff so the document is just kept with it.

My younger horse of 11yrs is chipped and has a KWPN passport I’ve no idea if it’s registered on this central database thing though.

McFluff

Visit site
My information book arrived this morning. Quite an investment to produce that! I now need to work our whether to chip my 24 yo. He’s not going to be sold, nor go for meat, so not sure why I would.

chaps89

Visit site
Last time we went to the vets (month or so ago) the vet did a very thorough check of passport against the pony and signed/dated it to say it had been checked/confirmed it all matched.
She also scanned her, and much to my surprise she had a microchip. So she added that to the passport too.
I've been with the practice for 5 or 6 years and it's the first time it's ever come up, other than a cursory glance and stamp for vaccs.
Ets- I should probably get the chip registered to me now I know it exists but no idea how/where - any ideas? Has literally just popped into my head now.

I have no idea if old loan pony is chipped. I was surprised enough he had a passport tbh! I should at least check though.

Buster2020

Visit site
My horse has one but the problem is most people don’t change there ownership on there passports when they buy a horse so the microchip information doesn’t change. So if the horse gets lost it will display the old owners information.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
chaps I think usually the number can indicate who provided it.

Buster, our microchip info was completely unrelated to passport info, it was a separate phone call to update details for that.