New name ideas

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
Ok so I know it’s bad luck to change a horse name but I have a racehorse coming and his name is…..Neil ?.
I’ve never changed a horses name before so I’m stuck for ideas. His race name was Nearly There (hence Neil)

He’s a very pretty, bay TB with a white star. Laid back and a nature to die for.

Any ideas very welcome!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Call him NT. Then you aren't changing his name, just using his initials. That's what we did with "Bob" the ex-racehorse, which I really hated as it just didn't suit him. So he got called by his official name initials.

You could call him Almost. Or Close.

RushpolePony

Visit site
Honestly, who really uses their horse's actual stable names unless they are in trouble?! I know personally that my boy has at least 5 nicknames that are used 10x more than his stable name.

Plus these kinda names always seem odd and a bit silly but I always find that they end up suiting the horse anyway.

If you really want to change his name though, the name will probably come from something random you start calling him(I know a youngster ended up being called Munchkin because she was so cheeky!)or a name that will suddenly come to you and suits him.

Good luck with your new horse!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have changed one horse's name to something really close phonetically.

And my 3yo came with a stable name that I am not a fan of but fortunately there's many ways to vary it so I am not changing it.

I'd probably dump Neil and just call yours Nearly on the yard :) names that end with a Y sound are easy to call.

fankino04

Visit site
Honestly, who really uses their horse's actual stable names unless they are in trouble?! I know personally that my boy has at least 5 nicknames that are used 10x more than his stable name.

Plus these kinda names always seem odd and a bit silly but I always find that they end up suiting the horse anyway.

If you really want to change his name though, the name will probably come from something random you start calling him(I know a youngster ended up being called Munchkin because she was so cheeky!)or a name that will suddenly come to you and suits him.

Good luck with your new horse!
I knew a filly that got called missy, short for miscellaneous as they just couldn't think of s name for her ?

pistolpete

Visit site
Neil is cute but if you hate it I like different species like Badger and Weasel or Tiger or Mouse. Whatever seems to suit. He sounds like he might suit Mr Neilikins!

LegOn

Visit site
I love Neil too! I would definitely be in the Gavin & Stacey camp aswell - Neil, the Horse! Best. Name. Ever.

If you dont like Neil though, what about Nile or in Irish spelling (pronounced the same way) Niall or I like the idea of NT either, thats a nice way of keeping the original name.

Here is how my brain works... Nearly There... 2nd Place, not 1st Place... 2nd Place is a blue rosette... BLUE! I love the name Blue for a horse :)

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
At one of the yards I used to work at many years ago they bought a young horse for hunting/eventing . He was a massive beast of a thing and was called Strongarm , but on the yard this got changed to Armstrong and then eventually to Neil . The one thing that really sticks in my mind about Neil was that if anyone called his name , shouting him in from the field for example , the whole yard would drop to their knees as one . Never failed to amuse us .
i love the name too.!

Trouper

Visit site
Have a look at his pedigree online for some inspiration. If I have identified him correctly there are some good ones there - including Pivotal who appeared in my boy's pedigree!!

Cowpony

Visit site
Sorry to go against the grain, but I hate the name Neil for a horse! How about Inky (as in incomplete) or Soran (also-ran). Or Dude, as he's laid back.