New paddocks :)

Lacuna

Visit site
So we're in the new house. Yay

Now to create new paddocks. We have a couple.of options. I'm not sure whether to make a few smaller paddocks or a larger one that we can then subdivide as needed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g5noeawFtKjrg9UN6

Area 1. Currently large garden, would make about a half acre paddock. Seems a bit of a shame to change its use but would have view of ponies from the house

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pqp5LnUGBHRVDCAv9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DXVqVFLuQn2KsdqF8
Area 2 is about 2 acres set to very young woodland. Plenty of grass and obviously fairly good natural shelter. Not kept ponies on this kind of ground before. Any advise welcome. Would obviously check for poisonous plants etc. I'm looking to get some fencing quotes next week

cauda equina

Visit site
Why not just invest in some electric fencing for now, then you can see how things go; it might be useful to know about eg where the wet bits are or how well the grass grows before committing yourself to permanent fencing
If you're turning out among the trees it would be worth protecting any that you'd be sad to lose!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would keep the garden as a garden for now, then you can reserve the right to build a stable, storage, hard standing etc. so it won't need permission. My arena was extended into the garden :) but that wouldn't have been possible if we had changed its use to a field. A few years later, the field shelter was put in the garden, opening into the arena, which is also winter turnout.

By leaving it as a garden, you keep options open for the future.

Lacuna

Visit site
Why not just invest in some electric fencing for now, then you can see how things go; it might be useful to know about eg where the wet bits are or how well the grass grows before committing yourself to permanent fencing
If you're turning out among the trees it would be worth protecting any that you'd be sad to lose!

I've been considering the electric fencing route however the site as a whole isn't secure at present and I've been worrying that if the neds got through the tape for whatever reason then they could high tail off into the neighbouring fields

dorsetladette

Visit site
Lucky you - I'd love to have my ponies at home.

I'd also wait 12 months before you put permanent internal fencing up. Then you have seen all seasons and will have an idea of wet patches, the prevailing wind, shady spots etc etc.

So as long at your perimeter fencing is good I'd just invest in some electric fencing to section off paddocks you think you would like to have in the future.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i would want to fence the perimeter with something fairly sturdy in that case, mine are all stock fenced but horse tornado fencing would be my preference really. and then as above, electric fence with a few permanent stakes whacked in to keep it taught, so you can figure it out over time.