New pony bit my face :( Help / advice needed please.

Visit site
*LONG POST SORRY*

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate any help with this.
My partner and I bought a two year old Section A pony as company for our mare and a lead-rein pony for our little girls.
Her parents are excellent, well-handled ponies with good success in showing etc.
We picked her up on Saturday and she was ok. She was a bit nervous / bolshy but she had been turned out for a while at her original stud home and only had limited handling so that was to be expected. She is in the stable as apparently difficult to catch and nervous of new people, and had 'hidden' in the corner a bit with her bum to us but we assumed this was out of fear and mistrust.. again understandable considering its a new home with new people.. we have been very kind and gentle with her to help her through this. however..
So I went into the stable the Sunday evening to muck her out, feed her etc. I was stroking and talking to her while she ate her hard feed and she suddenly flew round and bit my face. Luckily she didn't do damage just caught my cheek with her tooth but she most definitely meant it in aggression. I was so shocked and upset by this as she had only been with us for about 27 hours at most.
I have enough experience with nervous, turned-out horses and ponies to feel confident handling her but I have never experienced such unprovoked aggression (I had a young Arab stallion from a very similar background for a few years and he nipped a bit being naughty but there was never any malice).
What should I do? Should I persevere with her or send her back to the stud?
Thanks in advance x

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I was stroking and talking to her while she ate her hard feed and she suddenly flew round and bit my face.

I would most definitely be allowing a new and nervous youngster to eat in peace. I would only be interrupting her space at feed time when you are much further down the line with her. IMO (probably wrong!) she was not deliberately attacking you in particular, she was just doing what a herd animal does to protect its own feed source from other herd members.

Obviously this will need working on at some point but certainly not at this stage. I always try to let my horses in peace when they are feeding but have them trained enough to allow me around them should I need to without fear of being attacked.

I dont think a nervous and unhandled 2 year old is ideal for a first leading rein pony for your child to be honest. I would have gone for something that already knows its job, by the time you have this baby ready for that your child will probably need something in advance of leading rein activities anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide.

PurBee

Visit site
Most fearful of human animals, when around their food bowl, will exhibit aggression to ‘protect’ their food. The pony isnt comfortable with you yet for you to be seen as one of its herd, so its normal herd-like behaviour for it to defend its food stash and attack anything coming close.

Its up to you if you continue with this pony - but while its nervous itll behave very wild and youll need to behave and train it appropriately due to this.

If, after the bite, you stepped back and left the pony alone - it has now learnt that biting humans keeps them away from its food…Not good. This now needs addressing. But its best, while the pony is so unhandled and settles in, to just give it food and leave it alone while eating. An anxious pony isnt interested in petting, hugs and befriending humans. That takes time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't have bought an unhandled 2 yr old to be a lead-rein pony, either. By the time the pony is suitable the child is likely to be off the lead. However, I certainly wouldn't have been messing about with the pony while it was eating from a bucket.
I used to have a youngster who couldn't settle to eat her hay if there were people about. Fortunately we were on a yard with a walkway behind the boxes, which both horses and people could see thorugh. We stood behind her hay for a short time each day, so that she got used to it, without being able to injure anyone. In time she would bring hay to show us/share with us on the first night in, in winter.
I should imagine your pony is terrified of you touching her when she can't get away and because she isn't used to being stabled anyway.

paddy555

Visit site
*LONG POST SORRY*

So I went into the stable the Sunday evening to muck her out, feed her etc. I was stroking and talking to her while she ate her hard feed and she suddenly flew round and bit my face. Luckily she didn't do damage just caught my cheek with her tooth but she most definitely meant it in aggression. I was so shocked and upset by this as she had only been with us for about 27 hours at most.

she has had limited handling. What happened above could and should have been anticipated. She simply did to you what she would do to another pony who she thought as about to come near her food. Nothing there you can blame the pony for.

I would question if a 2yo sec A is a suitable LR pony. She is going to take a long time to tame, get her quiet enough for small kids to be safely with and to ride even led.

Would you not be better to get an older, well handled pony, probably even an old one, so that the kids can play and ride safely. A pony who is already experienced with small kids.

Visit site
Thank you PurBee.
I was in shock so unfortunately I didn't react much or discipline her but I took her hard feed off her straight away.
When I went to see to her this morning I asserted my authority instantly and she was better towards me but I am worried she might bite again as it was so sudden. Apparently she has never bitten or kicked anyone so that's even more upsetting because it is our of character ?
It was because of her parents being so good and sweet-natured that we bought her. We never imagined she would be like this :( x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As soon as you said it was while she was eating bucket feed I wondered if you'd had a young horse before? It sounds like some help with a person who's experienced with youngsters would be beneficial. Is the pony to be used in future as a lead rein? It is hard to tell from your wording. If so it's a big gamble and the timing may not work as PAS has said, would it be better to get an easy to handle aged pony instead as a companion?

honetpot

Visit site
I have never experienced such unprovoked aggression
Its not unprovoked, you were a potential threat to her food, and she was guarding it.
Small ponies are often kept in herds and quickly learn to guard their food, and squabble to get the most, its perfectly normal behaviour. I would never put you or your children near a pony while it is eating, your lucky it was just a minor injury.
You put the food, if you have to give it any in the stable on the floor, put the pony in the stable, making sure you have the door at your back, and the ponies bottom is away from you, step back and close the door, and leave it in peace.
but I took her hard feed off her straight away
This re-enforces that you are a threat, and not someone to be trusted.
I have a pony that my small children did PC on, I would never let a child be anywhere near him with food, and he is now over twenty. He would chase a bird, if it came near him, if he was eating.

Visit site
Thank you PurBee.
I was in shock so unfortunately I didn't react much or discipline her but I took her hard feed off her straight away.
When I went to see to her this morning I asserted my authority instantly and she was better towards me but I am worried she might bite again as it was so sudden. Apparently she has never bitten or kicked anyone so that's even more upsetting because it is our of character ?
It was because of her parents being so good and sweet-natured that we bought her. We never imagined she would be like this :( x

From your posts, you don’t sound like you have knowledge of youngsters. She will be completely confused why the human bothered her and after her panic, took her food away.

Do you have anyone on your yard or an instructor who has knowledge of youngsters that can help direct you?

I think you are going to struggle as the pony is very young, no life experience, you sound frightened and surprised by the pony’s reaction. Such a young pony is not going to be the ideal choice for a lead rein pony for your children.

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I guess I screwed up spectacularly then :( Feeling very grim now. I was advised to do lots with her in the first few weeks of owning her before she gets comfortable and starts 'testing boundaries'. I guess that was not great advice, and I shouldn't have followed it :(

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I guess I screwed up spectacularly then :( Feeling very grim now. I was advised to do lots with her in the first few weeks of owning her before she gets comfortable and starts 'testing boundaries'. I guess that was not great advice, and I shouldn't have followed it :(

OP, you can’t know everything but what matters here is that you find help, to get you back on track and you learn about what you need to do (not just from livery no-it-all’s by the way, as most yards have them!). Find someone who has good knowledge of youngsters, to give you guidance.

If you aren’t able to do that, then you need to find an alternative home, with someone that has the knowledge needed. It takes a lot of time and effort to train a youngster.

Visit site
OP, you can’t know everything but what matters here is that you find help, to get you back on track and you learn about what you need to do (not just from livery no-it-all’s by the way, as most yards have them!). Find someone who has good knowledge of youngsters, to give you guidance.

If you aren’t able to do that, then you need to find an alternative home, with someone that has the knowledge needed. It takes a lot of time and effort to train a youngster.

Thank you. I wish all the answers were as kind and understanding as this one.

Visit site

Definitely don’t take it to heart, we just see so many posts from people who’ve bought unsuitable equines etc. At least you came on here and asked questions and have accepted the responses well. Do you have an instructor? Someone with knowledge of youngsters? Pay them and get them out to help give you guidance (if you want to continue). I’ll admit it isn’t going to be easy but with a lot of effort and a willingness to learn then you can get through it. I’m afraid a young pony will still be far from what you need for your children.

Visit site
Definitely don’t take it to heart, we just see so many posts from people who’ve bought unsuitable equines etc. At least you came on here and asked questions and have accepted the responses well. Do you have an instructor? Someone with knowledge of youngsters? Pay them and get them out to help give you guidance (if you want to continue). I’ll admit it isn’t going to be easy but with a lot of effort and a willingness to learn then you can get through it. I’m afraid a young pony will still be far from what you need for your children.

Thanks. I do feel some answers have been a bit harsh and not very helpful. I am already upset enough by

paddy555

Visit site

Don't worry too much. I have had both ferals which yours almost is, youngsters and some which are both. First job is don't ever put yourself in a position where you could get hurt. Second is to constantly read the animal and then you will know how it is going to react which is going to be like a horse not like a human.

Are you able to take this pony back? If so I would do so, She seems to be far to big a challenge for what you want. I would not let your kids anywhere near her for a VERY long time ie years. It will take very little for them to get bitten, kicked or cornered and they will not know any better or have any idea what she can do.

Safety, yours and the kids is top of the list. You didn't screw up spectacularly. You asked for advice quickly and are now a lot more aware of the situation. Young horses/ponies are going to constantly test the boundaries. Mine is still doing so and he is 6.

Visit site
Don't worry too much. I have had both ferals which yours almost is, youngsters and some which are both. First job is don't ever put yourself in a position where you could get hurt. Second is to constantly read the animal and then you will know how it is going to react which is going to be like a horse not like a human.

Are you able to take this pony back? If so I would do so, She seems to be far to big a challenge for what you want. I would not let your kids anywhere near her for a VERY long time ie years. It will take very little for them to get bitten, kicked or cornered and they will not know any better or have any idea what she can do.

Safety, yours and the kids is top of the list. You didn't screw up spectacularly. You asked for advice quickly and are now a lot more aware of the situation. Young horses/ponies are going to constantly test the boundaries. Mine is still doing so and he is 6.

❤️ Thank you for being nice about it x

Visit site
WWasfnro

Was just trying to be nice and help her to associate me with nice things. Sorry.

OP, I guess it can be so tempting to want to try to “win them over”, if you don’t have that knowledge. They’re little, cute and you want to fuss them etc but you can’t.

You’ve got her now, so you’re responsible for her, get yourself some help to improve your knowledge. Having a youngster is very different from a “ready made” equine.

Exasperation from people can come from the fact that we all know how hard work It is to raise a youngster and if you don’t have that knowledge, you’re going to feel completely overwhelmed and out of your depth and you’re going to put yourself at risk etc.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I don't think anyone was being unpleasant on purpose or for no reason
However taking on a young pony puts you in the position of shaping it for the rest of its life. It is a big responsibility, and people taking on that job without the required knowledge is a big reason why the world has unhappy and unwanted equines further down the road.
FYI my horse is an exceptionally well mannered 16yo and I don't disturb him while he is eating, because thats his time, not mine. If I had to I think he would let me but its not something that I have ever tested.
Would you consider just returning this pony before anyone gets too attached, and getting an aged been there done that pony club type which will be ready for your kids and already have the hard work done?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site

OP I cant see any posts on here you could possibly take exception to? Everyone has answered you in an honest and straightforward way offering the best advice to you within their knowledge base. If I was one of the posters that you felt were harsh and unhelpful then I can only apologise, but have reread my words and nothing leaps out at me, so slightly bewildered, but not to worry, As I said before in my first post up thread, Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I doubt that you were advised to mess with her while she was eating a bucket feed. If I were you, I would speak to the breeder about returning her and finding something older and wiser to look after your children.

Visit site
OP I cant see any posts on here you could possibly take exception to? Everyone has answered you in an honest and straightforward way offering the best advice to you within their knowledge base. If I was one of the posters that you felt were harsh and unhelpful then I can only apologise, but have reread my words and nothing leaps out at me, so slightly bewildered, but not to worry, As I said before in my first post up thread, Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Thank you. It just felt a bit like people were telling me I was stupid to get her. And maybe they are right.. but I am feeling pretty sensitive at the moment :(

Visit site
I doubt that you were advised to mess with her while she was eating a bucket feed. If I were you, I would speak to the breeder about returning her and finding something older and wiser to look after your children.

Thanks. I have always been told that food is the way to their hearts - and up until now with all the other many horses I have done work with - it always seemed to be the case. I had no idea it would cause this aggro for both the pony and myself :(

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Thank you. It just felt a bit like people were telling me I was stupid to get her. And maybe they are right.. but I am feeling pretty sensitive at the moment :(

Far from telling you that you were 'stupid' to get her, unwise perhaps but not much more than that, we have all done some extremely unwise things ourselves on many occasions with horses I am sure, so that is not a biggie IMO anyway, just a normal learning curve - I am still on that learning curve with horse knowledge in my 70s lol!

I do get the sensitive reaction though, I am feeling a bit that way myself today for a dog related issue, so really do understand that ;)