New Pony biting my horse -advice needed

Hels_Bells

Visit site
We finally found a lovely first pony for my five year old daughter. He has been with us for about 3 weeks now. He is as go9d as gold for my daughter but has a definite twinkle in his eye. I cannot fault him except for one problem - he keeps biting my horse and my horse simply puts up with it. Pony is 12hh welsh x and my horse 16.1 KWPN. They are the only two in the “herd” as we keep our horses at home.

They were fine for the first week then I noticed one or two scratches on my horse’s shoulder and bottom. I thought he had scratched himself on a post which was odd as he’s barely had a mark on him in 10 years. More have since appeared and I’ve caught little pony attempting to bite several times but my horse just puts up with it. He isn’t in any way afraid of the pony, doesnt avoid or steer clear of him but he does seem a bit down in himself to me.

I had hoped this would all settle down after a week or two but after several open bite marks (like slashes) to my horses shoulder I have had to separate them. My horse has always been the boss but we’ve never had more than three horses at a time. And in 35 years have never had this problem! The pony’s owner (he’s on loan) says he’s always been mid herd in a large herd and has never had a Problem with him.

I’m going to separate for a week or two then try again. I know they’re just sOrting themselves out but am not happy leaving my boy as a punch bag. I am also hoping come thick rugs for protection in winter this may all pass by spring... he is such a cracking pony in all other respects returning him isn’t really an option.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I’ve never ever had a problem with herd dynamics so any advice and insights/suggestions most welcome!