New pony, threw daughter - do I keep him?

TillyF

Visit site
Hi
I am after some advice.
We have a new pony, was sold as perfect first pony. Even the vet said that!
However, he has been agressive in the field - ears back, looking to bite. I think it was cos I wasnt firm enough to start with. We are better at catching him now and I feel more confident. He bit my sleeve once. Also makes faces at my daughter.
Daughter has been riding him and getting more confident, doing some little trots on her own. Yesterday, he spooked and bolted, throwing her off. I think he bucked or swerved when she fell. She had to go to A and E, luckily nothing broken.
I rode him home after the accident and he was fine.
He is used to a busy yard, ours is a quiet field with another horse. I dont think he is used to being out alone.
But overall I am unsure if we should keep him. He just doesnt feel like a kind pony on the ground and is a bit spooky hacking.
I dont know whether to to try and send him back (daughter will be sad) or to get an instructor and persevere.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

TillyF

Visit site
Havent got an instructor yet. Have had one recommended who I can contact. But she cant ride now for 6 weeks cos of fall.
I suppose I don't want her to get too attached and also need to send back before much longer if I do.

dixie

Visit site
How old is he?
Did you get him from a dealer?
Can you get a second opinion from an instructor or friend with a more experienced child.
Altho to be fair it doesn’t sounds like a child’s first pony even on the ground. Even allowing to letting him settle in, your daughters confidence is precious at this level.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Three weeks is nothing. She needs an instructor and the pony needs to settle in a bit.

Re the catching - does his tack all fit? And do you catch him for nice things - feeding, grooming? Or is it always work?

dixie

Visit site
As your daughter can’t ride for a while I would suggest getting someone you trust to assess him to see if he’s suitable or just trying it on or unsettled.

TillyF

Visit site
Hi Snowfilly
Yes we do grooming etc.
He stands well for that, once tied up with hay. If no hay he moves around and makes a face and tries to pull off ring.
Had tack checked by a friend who works at a stable and it looks fine.

honetpot

Visit site
So many variables. Most ponies have a but, and depending on how long you have had him, he may just be testing what he can get away with. Some ponies learn very quickly that a spook, with a zoom or a buck will quickly dislodge a child, child cries doesn't get back on, job done.
I control every thing, no matter how long you have had them. You have to do all the thinking for the child, your pony was hopefully outgrown, so its last rider may be more competent than yours. When I buy anything is basically treated like its just been backed, and the child and the pony not challenged by anything until the child is in control 95% of the time.
I had a LR pony that started spooking, I sent it away to a pro, and the small adult could do anything with it. Later that summer it started head shaking. I had owned the pony nearly three years, and in the space of three months it became unrideable.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
is he being fed differently? also is he turned out on his own? 3 weeks isnt very long and if his management has been changed that could affect his behaviour in all ways, he may feel insecure and be behaving in a different way to his old home. can you get a more experienced child to ride him for a while and maybe have a professional person assess him for you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
3 weeks is no time at all his in a strange place with strangers, you have to take into consideration that his whole life and routine has changed.

Is he getting enough exercise and turnout? I would get him lunging long lining with ground work with an instructor while your daughter can't ride.

What are you feeding him? I would be inclined to just feed hay and grass at the moment.

How much turnout is he getting? Is it similar to what he is used to? It can make a huge difference to there energy levels if the turnout is less now.

TillyF

Visit site
Thanks Splashgirl.
Yes it is a different environment. Same food. I do think he is unsure.
I was questioning if he is right for us before the fall anyway. Just doesnt seen very kind or friendly on the ground. He does come to greet us at the fence, but think thats for food!

TillyF

Visit site
Hi Pinkvboots
He is out full time with fieldshelter. Haven't tried lunging him yet.
Before with us, he was ridden by an 8 year old and gave her confidence.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
being on individual turnout if they are not used to it can make a huge difference, they feel vulnerable and unsure. can you try another pony in with him to see if it helps. my old mare came from turnout with 11 others to individual turnout with others next door. when i moved her she had to share with another horse, she changed almost immediately and became much more settled, i hadnt realised that she was stressed on individual turnout and felt very guilty that i didnt know ...

TillyF

Visit site
When viewing he came from a stable into indoor school and happily stood with haynet (which I now do!)
He was fine with owners 8 year old riding him and then mine too. He was fine with us grooming him.
She did say he doesnt like his girth being done up, will pull a face, but lots are like that.

TillyF

Visit site
Yes he might be better with a friend in field, but I dont have another one yet!
Just dont want to leave it too long if decide to return.
I could call previous owner and have a chat, but I'm not sure how she'd be about having him back as she now has other ones on sale.

AUB

Visit site
Moving yards can be a big mouthful for some horses. 3 weeks is nothing.

Also: he might be underworked. How much work was he in before? It doesn’t sound as if does too much atm, maybe he just needs to do more.

And on top of that it’s spring.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It might be worth having a chat, not necessarily to ask them to have him back but just to run all this past them, they may well be able to shed some light on it or advise.
I know certain things would make my horses act up and could avoid doing them because I know them so well. It’s hard with a new pony, for both sides.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why not call previous owner and ask for advice.....it would be a shame to send him back if a tweak to his management could make him go back to the pony you tried....i was thinking you could ask someone at your yard if they would turn theirs out with him to see if it helps.... not expecting you to purchase another