New Project pony with *pics* Feeding advice welcome!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My Christmas present arrived on Thursday, a lovely connemara X, 14.2hh approx 10yrs, he has obviously had a very unsettled life and is very timid although very quiet and willing, he needs to be brought back into work and is lacking topline. I know this will come with correct feeding and work but i'm open to any feeding suggestions from people's experiences. At the minute he is having ad lib haylage, Alfa A & speedi beet twice a day, i've been looking into topline/conditioning cubes and the general thought is that the baileys ones are best, but I wondered what people experiences with these were? Constructive criticism welcome! He is proving to be a lovely chap and I think he well be stunning once he is right. He has been wormed with Pramox and will be having a visit from the vet and dentistbetween Christmas and new year.
smile.gif
[image]
100_0188-1.jpg
[/image] [image]
100_0190.jpg
[/image] [image]
100_0191.jpg
[/image]
[image]
100_0189.jpg
[/image]
[image]
100_0199.jpg
[/image]

dwi

Visit site
Considering the time of year I would say that he is quite well covered and that his topline will come with work rather than feeding. I would worry that conditioning cubes might give more condition than you would want by the time spring comes

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Hmmm that was one of my thoughts too, it is very early days and I don't want to rush it anyway. I think once he is 'right' he will actually be quite a good doer. I'm going to give him a couple of weeks to settle and then start steady lunging.

rubyred

Visit site
He looks lovely but then I do have a soft spot for Connemara's!
Personally I would not give him topline cubes because being a Connie he should end up being a good doer and you'll have a problem come spring. I know his coat is long but he doesn't look that thin, more under-muscled. The Alfa A sounds a good idea though for quality protein to build muscle.

gothdolly

Visit site
He is lovely, I think his weight looks fine, so much better than the fat natives we are all used to seeing! I would stick to fibre feeds, (Alfa A lite) I cant imagine a connemara type needing conditioning cubes?

Wish you could send him to me - I love connemaras too...

bugaboo

Visit site
He is lush we have a connie mare and her connie x foal atm and they are both gorgeous.

But back onto him i dont htink he is looking half bad,work will bring on the top line,i would be careful about feeding a new horse something like conditioning feeds as in my experience can give them a little too much energy.
I would keep on with what he is having now while he is coming back into work and see how he goes one he is fit and been worked harder.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
QR - Thanks for all the lovely comments, i'm so pleased with him althoug he is timid he is being a darling! I think I will continue with what i'm doing, it's still early days and then see how he improves once i'm working him. That way i'm keeping his feeds basic. :)

bugaboo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR - Thanks for all the lovely comments, i'm so pleased with him althoug he is timid he is being a darling! I think I will continue with what i'm doing, it's still early days and then see how he improves once i'm working him. That way i'm keeping his feeds basic. :)

[/ QUOTE ]

As a breed i find them rather laid back our girl is we have been able to seperate her and baby from day 1 of having them and as for backing her it was a 2 day job.

Keep us updated with pics i love to see how these project horses progress
laugh.gif

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Thanks bugaboo, thats nice to know, he is very laid back. I took him in the menage to stetch his legs tonight it was the first time he had been in there and the flood lights were on, a friend had her pony in there and her leadrope broke, her pony was cantering round and they couldn't catch him but P just stood there and watched! I was so suprised, he has been in for 3 days now and was in a strange place but didn't better an eyelid, after that we unclipped his leadrope for him to have a walk round and he just followed me!
smile.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
He is lovely, as somebody said, top line will come with exercise rather than feeding. Being part connemara, he will be a good doer and he doesnt look underweight in the photos.

I would stick to your current feeding plan, you will find that in the summer, this may need to be reduced.

As long as he is on the recommended amounts for his size, he will be getting enough vits/mins. If he isnt, consider a general purpose supplement.

He is gorgeous and I love his dorsal stripe.

bugaboo

Visit site
Keep us updated on him i would like to hear how he gets on i will have to get some pics of our girly and baby boy to show you.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Keep us updated on him i would like to hear how he gets on i will have to get some pics of our girly and baby boy to show you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pics would be good!
smile.gif

bugaboo

Visit site
I will deffo be going over within next few days so i am currently charging my camera to take pics of my tree for another thread so will deffo take it with me.

Taffster

Visit site
Lovely looking chappie! Good luck with him, again working correctly will create a better topline - He looks quite small behind which could suggest working correctly isnt something he has been used to doing so it might take a while before he gets there - with a willing attitude and a good summer i reckon the little stunner will be even more stunning by mid summer!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
What a good-looking, sweet little pony. Also, he doesn't need any more weight on! Back off with the ad-lib haylage and only give him enough alfa A to put a few vitamins in. Speedi Beet is OK. You really don't want him any heavier, really you don't at this stage. Wait til he's settled and in work and feed by eye. If he gets thin (ner) up the forage a bit. Stay well away with the conditioning stuff. He's a native and designed to live on a mountain being blasted by the elements and surviving on the meagre 'scrapings' he can find. Please don't feed him to 'prove' that you are looking after him well, although I understand the temptation.