New puppy routine

Princess16

Visit site
We are getting a new puppy so just wondered what your daily routines are re getting up walking / feeding etc. I have been told to leave about an hour between walking / feeding or vice versa. Which way round do you do it do you feed first then walk or other way round? Need to feed 3 times a day at mo.

So excited :)

Thistle

Visit site
A puppy shouldn't be getting much exercise in the form of walks, 5 mins per day, per month age. So a 3 month puppy no more than 15 mins in total. This doesn't include bumbling about and gentle play in the garden.

With my older dogs I don't exercise hard for an hour after feeding and after exercise I wait until they are calm and quiet and not panting at all before feeding.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I give morning feed before walking (walk an hour later), and evening feed an hour after they've walked.

As Thistle says though, you won't really be walking a put at this stage, just gentle exercise.

Clodagh

Visit site
But pup will need to go out in the garden immediately it's nose leaves the feed bowl - in one end, out the other!

Thistle

Visit site
But pup will need to go out in the garden immediately it's nose leaves the feed bowl - in one end, out the other!

Definitely! Out every 30 mins for a wee. Also after waking, feeding and playing. After a few days you can probably do every hour, I expect them to settle late evening and try to ignore them until 6am. Yes they'll have accidents but sleep is good for my sanity.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Definitely! Out every 30 mins for a wee. Also after waking, feeding and playing. After a few days you can probably do every hour, I expect them to settle late evening and try to ignore them until 6am. Yes they'll have accidents but sleep is good for my sanity.

Oh yes, I. Certainly don't get up during the night to let pups out, IMO that is just training them to expect to go out when they and I should be asleep

Fiona

Visit site
My routine was out in the garden for wees, in to play, then crate until ready to go out again.. She was fed 4 times daily and walked mostly in the afternoons. .

She was quiet at night so we didn't get up to let her out, clean in her crate at night by about 12 or 13 weeks...

Fiona

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh yes, I. Certainly don't get up during the night to let pups out, IMO that is just training them to expect to go out when they and I should be asleep

We were different. For the first three weeks I did get up in the night to take Daisy out for a pee, moving the time on each week until she slept through till about 7.00am.

Peter7917

Visit site
I think getting up to toilet them in the night is dependant on routine. If puppy has free run of a room then I see no harm in sleeping through, that said I prefer to crate next to my bed and will absolutely take them out when they wake for the toilet; straight back to bed after though! I think forcing a puppy to toilet in it's crate is nothing short of barbaric.

Clodagh

Visit site
We shut ours in a crate all night and they have never weed in it, from 10.30 til 5 when small they seem to hold on fine. Like Thistle, I am a much nicer person if I have had plenty of sleep.

springtime1331

Visit site
I think getting up to toilet them in the night is dependant on routine. If puppy has free run of a room then I see no harm in sleeping through, that said I prefer to crate next to my bed and will absolutely take them out when they wake for the toilet; straight back to bed after though! I think forcing a puppy to toilet in it's crate is nothing short of barbaric.

This is my view too. Last pup slept in crate right beside my bed and as soon as she woke up and started shifting about I took her straight out. She stopped waking me in the night after a couple of weeks and was the cleanest, easiest dog to house train ever. I think because she never got to mess in the house in the first place. Certainly helped that I got her at the start of the summer hols so had 7 weeks to really work on her.