New Shelter

Groom Mum

Visit site
I had my second shelter built today on concrete !! yay dry land !!

I'm thinking of letting the boys go in tonight or maybe tomorrow night when I have sorted out the fencing outside.

So I wasn't going to put rubber mats in this one as its only going to be on this part of my concrete until it dries up enough to bring my big stable block + shelter over from the bog at the other end of the field !

So it's just concrete on the floor. I have never put any of my horses on just concrete. They are supposed to live out 24/7 but they love their shelter and spend most of the night in there. So I'm going to lay shavings for the time i'm using it ( about 6 weeks I think). I have bought 8 bales of bedmax to put down, will this be enough? i know I will see when I do it. I just hope it will be deep enough that if they lie down they wont be lying on bare concrete.

It's all looking good though. I now have an area which is dry under foot and i wont be getting my wellies stuck in the mud and more importantly my ponies wont be scared and struggling in knee deep sticky mud anymore.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It sounds like you did the right thing getting another I would think 8 bales would be enough mine are stabled on concrete they just have very thick beds and they lie down every night.

Groom Mum

Visit site
It sounds like you did the right thing getting another I would think 8 bales would be enough mine are stabled on concrete they just have very thick beds and they lie down every night.

I bought 8 bales but I haven't put them in there tonight as im still trying to sort out their field access, and grass access too.

I really want to get them moved now, so tomorrow i will move them over.

Im just so happy i can walk in and out of their living space without falling over in the mud, and i cannot wait to see them walk in too without being so scared to put one leg in front of the other.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think the mud has been a real problem for so many this year, my fields were drying up nicely but after the rain this week they are looking quite wet again, it does not even seem that warm for April it was 9 degrees here yesterday not exactly spring weather am hoping for some warmth soon.

patseyr

Visit site
Its always nice to have some proper sheds and structures in place. And great to have proper gateways and paths in place so your not trying to trudge through in the dark cold wet winter nights with muddy water splashing over your wellies (been there done that).

A lot of paddocks have been hit hard this year and ground/gateways are still very wet and muddy.