New stirrups - recommendations?

happybear

Visit site
My OH has very generously offered to buy me some nice new stirrups as a treat now I'm back riding again :) - however, I'm a bit clueless as to what's currently on the market and therefore what to go for! I know Sprenger stirrups are popular, but I wondered whether anyone had any particular recommendations or even if much else exists in the stirrup world? I have a bit of trouble with my knees (nothing major) and I've heard that better quality stirrups can make a difference, so any recommendations along this line would be great. Thanks!

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I had issues with my knees and ankles when riding, and on others recommendations got a pair of sprenger bow balance. I can honestly say that I notice the difference, I've only got them for one horse atm, and when I ride the other who only has standard irons I end up with aching knees and ankles. They are expensive but I'll definitely be investing in another set when I can.

peanut

Visit site
I'm also looking for some new stirrups - safety stirrups. Without hijacking happybear's thread, I'd be grateful for any recommendations. I'll look at what Sprenger have to offer.

ExmoorHunter

Visit site
Another vote for Sprenger Bow Balance. I've recently invested in a pair after a serious accident last year and they really make a difference. Well worth the money IMO.

FireFly29

Visit site
I have Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups on my jump saddle and I really like them. I got mine after having knee surgery and they are definitely more comfortable than my other stirrups (Mark Todd aluminium stirrups).
The Sprengers do seem harder wearing, I have heard of some of the cheaper alternatives snapping under the rubber.

Wychanger Barton were cheapest when I looked at £139.99

http://www.wychanger.com/products/827-sprenger-bow-balance-stirrup-irons

happybear

Visit site
Free jumps. They don't twist the stirup leather so take pressure off the knees. Nice wide tread. Very comfy

Thanks Nightmare before Christmas - I hadn't heard of Freejumps before but I've looked them up and they seem slightly more expensive but look pretty good. Out of interest, have you ever used Sprengers (so as to know how the two compare)?

happybear

Visit site

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
Thanks Nightmare before Christmas - I hadn't heard of Freejumps before but I've looked them up and they seem slightly more expensive but look pretty good. Out of interest, have you ever used Sprengers (so as to know how the two compare)?

Yes I used sprengers for years before. They are okay not much diff to standard stirrups I didn't notice a benefit in the bend (I have a bad ankle/achillies). I'm better in the free jumps due to the no twist and wide tres and your foot literally doesn't move whilst riding/jumping! They are worth the extra

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I've just ordered some freejumps and leathers, can't wait for them to come and try them! Not cheap, but i've never heard anyone have any complaints about them.