new TB playing up

clarenz

New User
Visit site
HI, I bought a quiet 6yr old TB mare who is quite lazy, and rode her in company when I bought her 2 weeks ago, fine on busy road and past bullocks etc etc, fine in the field schooling and lunging (lazy, but that is part of why I bought her as I havent had horses for a few years and have lost my nerve). So today, took her down the lane for the first time, but I live opposite a stud and we had to go past 22 brood mares by the road and she went mental, it started with her snorting and trotting on the spot (fine), I got her past the field then turned back to go home, having had enough, then she started leaping up, as they cantered around - not rearing exactly but not bucking for sure and I am ashamed to say I leapt off and led her back past them. I've really scared myself and am not sure how to proceed. I have to pass them, as the other direction is 3 stallions by the road and that might be worse. She is otherwise sensible and didnt take off, which is what I was afraid of. I have to make this work, or I am afraid I will never have another horse, but it is REALLY hard. Help.
crazy.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
I think you did the right thing by getting off anf leading her home. Many horses will get excited and behave exactly as you described if they are ridden past a herd of horses cantering around their fields - it's excites them, so I wouldn't blame the mare for that.

Just a few points maybe to think about - if you are hacking try doing a loop. What I mean is don't hack up the road and turn around - that is asking for problems such as napping and getting excited. Secondly, if you are slightly nervous I don't think a young TB mare is your ideal mate. However lazy or laid back she seems most of the time, TB's can get quite excitable and some of the time there is no reasoning with them when they do. I have a little TB gelding who's now 7 (bought him at 3) but I was a confident rider with quite a bit of experience - he's usually laid back and sometimes lazy, but when he lights up he does really go. To get you back into horses I wouldn't have recommended a TB and neither would I have recommended something so young - combine the two and maybe you haven't got your ideal equine partner to boost your confidence.

Vey

Visit site
Right, it is quite a big ask, for any horse, to go past a field full of horses. I understand why you were rattled and turned for home, but in doing that you added another factor of excitement to your problems. What you now need to do is to teach her to go past these mares, and to go on with the ride.

There are several ways of tackling this. One is to get a friend to come with you on foot, so the friend can clip on a lead rope before you got to the mares, and lead your horse by, and then when you are well past, and comfortable again, to unclip the rope, and you can continue the ride.

Another is to take her yourself in hand past the mares, and on for a walk - whatever you do don't just turn back again.

A third is to get a confident rider to do the first part of this ride for you - ride past the mares and on till your mare has forgotten about them. If she gets in the way of going past them calmly, she will eventually do it for you.

Or you could try riding past them with another one or two quiet horses, who will calm her down.

Two weeks is not a very long time for her to have been in a new home, and it is quiet usual for moving yards to unsettle horses. I take it she is kept with company? Because if she is kept alone it will make things like going past a field full of mares a hape more difficult.

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Hi. Don't worry about your horse - and really don't give up with her. I too have similar 'challenges'!! Your horse just demonstrated normal behaviour getting excited when the other horses did - and might 'stress' having passed them in either direction, because she might get a feeling a security and wanting to herd with them or show off in front of them. You could try riding past with your hands on her withers or patting her - quite a challenge, I know, when all you want to do is hold on tight for dear life and get past. Definitely try and hack out with other people on more sensible horses, or try 'keeping in a bubble' ie when you ride past them, what you are trying to acheive is riding past them, and that's your 'bubble'. if your horse distracts you from this, don't get distracted with her, keep a mantra in your head of what you need to do like 'we're just going past, we're just going past, we're just going past', try and look ahead and stay in your bubble. Good luck, persevere, try and ride out with others until you fully trust each other - and don't worry that you got off. You both got home safely so therefore it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

Vey

Visit site
Well, yes, perhaps a TB would not be the first choice for the nervous coming back to riding, but there is a lot to be said for having the horse you have really wanted, and sticking with that horse. There is nothing like a horse you love for inspiring confidence. I am sure these problems can be worked through.

Past a load of other horses, ridden, was a lot to ask for a first ride. BUT you don't need to make that mistake again! You can take her out in hand or in company and build up confidence for both of you.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
This is a new horse in a new home with a new rider and of course there will be these incidents. It takes many years of riding a new horse to get it to behave in all situations when hacking it out. All the above replies are very sensible and I would take their suggestions on board and work through the many issues you will no doubt come against. Carry on and if you venture out dont't forget to wear your hi-wiz gear at all times so that you can be seen on the roads etc. Good luck with your new horse and have many years of fun together.

pottamus

Visit site
I totally agree with PeterNatt's comments, dont give up these things take time, particularly so early on too. I had these sorts of problems over just about everything when I first had my Welshie (and he is a cob...supposedly calm)!!! It took me a good year with my horse to 'turn a corner' and a further year to iron things out and move him forward a stage into being more adventurous...we are now into our third year and enjoying pleasure rides throughout Notts and Derbys and he is fab.
I am not saying it will take you this long, but they are all different and it takes time to build that trust up.
As well as flourescent stuff...I would also recommend a back protector too...but that is just my opinion! Good luck and keep going.
smile.gif

hunteress

Visit site
all my TB's played up after a little time of getting them plenty school work and watch your feeding as so many people overfeed TB's also 6 is still very young maybe feeling a little insecure is she on her own at home , good luck.

clarenz

New User
Visit site
Thanks guys for all your help, I feel much better, I know the TB thing and the age arent ideal, but she seems so right otherwise, and I was a very capable rider in my 20s, so I hope the nerves will recede. She is currently on her own as I havent found a paddock mate, which is adding to her problems, unfortunately I couldnt ride in a loop as further down are more brood mares, which I couldnt face and coming back the other way are 3 stallions lined up along the lane eek! Still, the grass with the first mares is now for sale, so perhaps they will be replaced with cows... I have found some people to hack out every fortnight which is a start and saw an advert for someone wanting grazing for a quiet standardbred, who I might approach in return for going out on a few rides as a calming influence.
Would it be really negative for her to turn round half way past the mares? I could approach them, turn after a few yards, go back again, bit further still and eventually get all the way past? Believe me I was in a bubble, "walk on, walk on, Walk on" but she was too freaked.
I may have made a mistake buying her, I will see what it is like with the hacking in company, and continue schooling, then at least if it doesnt work, I can sell her and get something more crossbred. By the way I am in New Zealand, and there arent too many crossbreds, they have zillions of standardbreds which are sensible, but were trotters so are often sold with only a brief amount of backing.
Oh well, I'lll let you know what happens
thanks, Clare

dieseldog

Visit site
Do you own the field she is kept in? Can you take her to a different yard for a month with people you can hack out with until you feel like you are the boss?

Good luck

clarenz

New User
Visit site
I do own the field, so am stuck with the location, but I think I will try getting off and leading her, not something I feel comfortable with but I dont feel too comfortable on top either so I'll go for it. I also thought I could get my husband to drive the car next to us shielding us a little (not very close, but on the opposite verge). I will also see if I can offer grazing to someone who might also want to hack out together.
thanks again