New to forum, just wanted to say hi!

gailt

Visit site
As the title really..thought id say hi and introduce myself...being the proud owner of a welshd x gelderlander yearling..palomino gelding called dancer...who is a real handfull so your bound to be hearing me asking advice quite regulary...
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
He is lovely (I am a palomino convert since buying my first one a couple of months ago, LOL!).

Welcome to the forum - hope you have a great time on here.
smile.gif

maddielove

Visit site
hello there and welcome to the forum
i'm emma, i have a palomino to!..she's asection d cross anglo arab called maddie

nice to meet you and hope to hear more about you and your horsey!

gailt

Visit site
hi all nice to meet you all...

Well a little about Dancer! My OH bought him for me as a weanling last christmas after i sold my last horse and a Given up on horses..lol.. friends advised him to get me foal so i could train him myself and in turn gain confidence and trust...well! \ive owned many horses before but i have never owned a foal before so this has been a total learning game for me and dancer...he has been great fun but also is a naughty boy...where do i start.!

He has started nipping! he barges if another horse is anywhere in sight! he is so greedy he forgets any manners he has got, if he is being led and wants to eat grass, i say no and he rears and has a tamtrum..lol.....so yep he is definately a handful...i got him cut hoping this would help....wrong!..lol..are yearlings like this...?

On a good note he can be so affectionate, loves to be groomed, is not frightend of much, will walk over and wear tarpauline, bags are just a toy and brollys are for eating...lol...will play in water too...he is quick to learn new things but then looks for a way out of it...well there you are a short but pretty accurate description of my baby...lol

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
are yearlings like this...?

[/ QUOTE ]
None of mine are like that. Your youngster needs to be taught manners and boundaries otherwise you really are going to have a handful in a year or two. Whilst they are foals is the best time to teach all these things in my experience. A firm but kind approach and NO treats generally makes for a nice well rounded youngster.

gailt

Visit site
hi tia, i think i made the fatal mistake of looking on him as a baby not wanting to be too firm if you know what i mean...he has never had a treat any food goes in a tub....any advice would be great!

Tia

Visit site
That happens, especially with someone's first foal. People have a hard time seeing foal as horses and do tend to treat them like little babies or puppies. Trouble is they grow up into 500kgs monsters LOL!!
shocked.gif

Just try to be firm with him, not mean or nasty, just keep going over and over the same things so that he knows that he can't push you around. Tell him off if he deserves it - generally a raised voice and a firm hand on the lead rope should do the trick.

If he rears at you (this IS normal behaviour for his age) jerk him down immediately and tell him off very firmly! Let him know that you are cross and you just will not stand for it.

Don't let him barge you - push him firmly away if he does this. Teach him about your space - he must not invade your space.

It may be difficult for you for a few weeks or months but he will get there eventually and you will hopefully end up with a fantastic horse at the end of it.

Best of luck - try to treat him as a horse rather than a baby.
smile.gif

gailt

Visit site
Thanks tia, sound advice! will keep you updated...so tell me about your lot...i just noticed Canada...wow..always wanted to go there, i will one day!