New to lead rein showing; help please!

Pickelina

Visit site
We're buying a lovely grey LR pony for our daughter, the lucky thing (both of them!). My friend's daughter has outgrown him and is offering a full tweed ensemble in my size with matching jacket for my daughter to go with him, for half what she paid for it.

We'll only be doing local shows. Does my daughter need to wear tweed for LR showing? I pictured her in a mini black jacket given that he's grey but need to be talked out of that if it's incorrect. I used to do WHP as a kid and wear tweed for that but don't know the LR etiquette as I didn't have a pony as a very small child.

Thanks in advance

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In a word, yes :)

Why not have a look at photos of past LR classes on the websites of the shows that you would like to attend? You might find that you both feel a bit over-dressed if the outfit is full Mrs Candy and the shows are very small but there is no reason why you shouldn't wear it. You might, however find that others believe that you are seasoned showers pot-hunting. I would buy the outfit from her, you probably won't get so many opportunities to wear it, as I bet daughter won't be on the LR for long.

Pickelina

Visit site
That's a good idea, thanks. I hadn't thought about us looking too professional, haha! Maybe I could leave the matching hat off (or do I need that?! Argh, I definitely need to do my research)

Daughter isn't four until December so expect she'll do at least one season on LR, and then she has a sister who's almost two waiting in the wings so might get more use out of it if youngest fancies a go, too. And I guess then I could sell it on for similar to what I paid for it!

Visit site
Hats are a must I am affraid! As is the tweed. Black is most certainly a BIG NO NO in the show ring!

On the plus side Granny Suits hold their value so you will be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it a few years down the line.

windand rain

Visit site
Definitely tweed for natives must admit I thought show pony bred plaited wore black/navy but it might just be locally not had much to do with high level lead rein non natives. just googled it would appear from the images that plaited are navy/black natives no plaits and tweed

Last edited:

minesadouble

Visit site
Navy for RP lead reins and tweed for natives.
If your local shows are anything like mine you won't look out of place in full matching LR attire wherever you go.
Good Luck!

conniegirl

Visit site
Its quite rare to get a show pony from 50% welsh, you would more likely be in the hunter pony class which would be tweeds.
Why don’t you ask your friend what classes she did with him and how she turned him out

Pickelina

Visit site
Thanks all! He's plaited (she showed him in the matching tweed outfits so I'll check what class) and has a nice head for showing, he's half section B. My old WHP was half section B, too, so must be a good fit for that! Need to brush up on my plaiting technique (no pun intended)

Visit site
If she was in tweed then it will have been Show Hunter Pony classes not Show Pony classes. What is he crossed with?

I have a purebred Sec B who went to HOYS as a SHP Lead Rein.

At very local level its more a generic lead rein class that will have every type of pony in. Up a notch is where you start splitting. If there is no SHP class then do the Show pony class rather than M&M as he isn't purebred. With the option always go for SHP.

fetlock

Visit site
Its quite rare to get a show pony from 50% welsh, you would more likely be in the hunter pony class which would be tweeds.
Why don’t you ask your friend what classes she did with him and how she turned him out

Which is such a terrible shame. Section B show ponies and section A lead reins were not unusual iin ye olde days. Likewise, show ponies with more than a smattering of New Forest and Dartmoor and which were hugely successful.
Now they're all bay, grossly overweight with legs like twigs and all look the same.

Visit site
Which is such a terrible shame. Section B show ponies and section A lead reins were not unusual iin ye olde days. Likewise, show ponies with more than a smattering of New Forest and Dartmoor and which were hugely successful.
Now they're all bay, grossly overweight with legs like twigs and all look the same.

And seem to need endless hours of lunging or being ridden by adults before they are deemed safe for a kid to ride. Then they are all strapped down in wilkies with the kids holding onto a strap on the front of the saddle regardless so thr bit does it's job of locking the ponies head down.

Pickelina

Visit site
I did think they all looked a bit copy and paste special when I saw some championship photos! All bay identikit!
I don't know what he was crossed with, I've asked so will be interested to find out.

mcnaughty

Visit site
So there are three types of LR classes at affiliated level - the M&M purebread (not plaited, tweed), the show hunter type (plaited, trimmed, pulled and tweed again) or the show pony (plaited, trimmed and tweed). Take a look at Equinational photography to see where your pony fits in - needs to be 122cm or under and the child must be under 8 or 9 depending on the class. However .... local you are talking a whole different story because who has ever had their passport checked at a local show?? Basically its up to you to choose how best your pony looks. Is it a plaited or unplaited one? You cannot go half heartedly into this - you either trim or you dont and if you do trim and plait then you need to do it properly.