New to owning a horse

Happy Auker

New User
Visit site
I got my 9 yr old highland mare home 4 months ago. She was a brood mare, then started being ridden at about 6 years old, so she had a couple of ridden years 'under her belt' before we got her. She is relatively green, and we knew this, but I was assured she was fine for hacking out alone, the main activity I wanted to do. I am a new horse owner, apart from having a couple of shetland youngsters as grass munchers for 6 months. I used to ride as a teenager, and have returned to riding after a good few years. At first my mare went out a few times happily on her own, on hacks around our local area, on roads (very very quiet). Then she decided, no, she wasn't going to go out, be ridden in the field, or even be led around on a lead rein without an argument. I have gone back to basics, natural horsemanship exercises etc, and we have made some strides forward on groundwork, but she is still resisting being ridden out. I can lead her out tacked up, and ride back, but she will not let me ride her away from home. Any ideas on what we should be doing to get her more co-operative?

ImmyS

Visit site
I got my 9 yr old highland mare home 4 months ago. She was a brood mare, then started being ridden at about 6 years old, so she had a couple of ridden years 'under her belt' before we got her. She is relatively green, and we knew this, but I was assured she was fine for hacking out alone, the main activity I wanted to do. I am a new horse owner, apart from having a couple of shetland youngsters as grass munchers for 6 months. I used to ride as a teenager, and have returned to riding after a good few years. At first my mare went out a few times happily on her own, on hacks around our local area, on roads (very very quiet). Then she decided, no, she wasn't going to go out, be ridden in the field, or even be led around on a lead rein without an argument. I have gone back to basics, natural horsemanship exercises etc, and we have made some strides forward on groundwork, but she is still resisting being ridden out. I can lead her out tacked up, and ride back, but she will not let me ride her away from home. Any ideas on what we should be doing to get her more co-operative?

Hello I had the exact same problem with my ex racer mare. I lead her out on the same route until she was confident I then led her out tacked up getting on just 5 minutes from home on the way back, I gradually built up getting on earlier and earlier until I could just leave the yard mounted. It's been a long process but I can now hack out anywhere and everywhere alone with no issues so it was worth putting the time in :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
she is prob just testing you and you may not be confident enough to push her on strongly. is there an instructor who could help you and maybe ride her or is there someone who could come out with you on foot or on a bike? it doesnt have to be a horsey person sometimes just having a bit of company helps both the horse and the rider... hope you get it sorted out and start to enjoy your rides again...good luck

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think that you are on the right lines already but could you also get someone to walk with you, so that you can set off mounted? Do you always ride alone, or do you sometimes ride out in company?

Happy Auker

New User
Visit site
I have tried going out on a hack with my partner on a bike, and we even had a very experienced rider friend on her and me on the bike. My mare would go along so far then 'plant' and only alot of 'pursuasion' would get her going again. Ideally riding in company I think would be a good solution, but I just don't have that option.
It sounds like I am praps going along on a good path of leading her out, riding her back, and then getting on her at sooner points along the route. I just need to persevere, and not loose my patience. She is definitely worth the effort :)
Thanks for the replies and ideas.

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
Sounds like she's testing you to me (something VERY typical of Highlands, stubborn little things they are:D). Do you carry a schooling whip? Something else you could try is to give her a good telling off with it until she goes forward. It might take a minute of two, but I've never known a horse that's not given in after a bit of a fight. Obviously it's not the nicest way to do things, but it's an option, and it's just what some stubborn, naughy things need to skow them who's in charge:rolleyes:! Just make sure she really is being naughty, and isn't scared of hacking alone for some reason (from what you've told me it doesn't sound like it but you obviously know more than me about that being the one riding her!).

Good luck!:)

Last edited:

Tammytoo

Visit site
Could it be a pain issue? As an ex broodmare she may have had some muscle/ligament strain from giving birth. Now that she is being ridden more regularly this may be causing more discomfort. Obviously, once she's going home she knows the discomfort will soon be over. Have you had her back checked over by a physio/chriropractor?

Have you spoken to the previous owners about this to see if they had this problem at all?

JulesRules

Visit site
It may be just that she is testing you, or that she doesn't fully trust you as a leader to look after her yet. After all it is still early days for you both

Suggest doing a combination of groundwork to strengthen your relationship with some of the other suggestions on here i.e walking out and riding home.

I had a similar problem with my Mare when I first had her, and although she is still jumpy when out on her own I can at least get her off the yard without her just going backwards these days :)