New yard new horse

planete

Visit site
I do realise that I am not stupid but I have seen some of these so called natural horseman instructors and some basically do just that, proper natural horsemanship is just basic common sense.

Ah yes, but watch Frederic Pignon working his horses. That is natural horsemanship. Way way beyond most people's common sense. :)

eggs

Visit site
I'm afraid that I also agree with others than bonding is sentimental twaddle. Your horse should look to you for guidance and you need to ensure that her ground manners are good although this doesn't mean harsh treatment.

Spring grass after a number of months with no grass is not ideal and could be leading to some of her behaviour. Cut out feed and work her. To be honest if you don't feel confident riding her at the moment then I'm not really sure that you are a good match. I do expect to be able to get a new horse and just crack on.

You definitely need input from your instructor but do be prepared to accept that maybe this isn't the right horse for you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ah yes, but watch Frederic Pignon working his horses. That is natural horsemanship. Way way beyond most people's common sense. :)

Don't get me wrong there are some amazing horse people out there, my experience of some that come and visit yards were not great, one just chased the legs off the poor horse until it was drenched in sweat couldn't breath and looked completely traumatised:(

Billyandme

Visit site
Sorry but I don't get the letting the horse settle in for a few days stuff. If you go to a show, or travel to aesson you would expect your horse to get on with it. OK they will be a bit lit up but the horse will look to you for confidence. Unfortunately in your case I think you need your instructor to step in as soon as possible to start establishing some way forward for both of you.

SusieT

Visit site
Bonding is not twaddle, not wanting to hit her with a whip is not twaddle.
However, you sound scared of her. Yanking is not sensible or knowledgeable horsemanship. I would have her in a headcollar/bridle that meant she wasn't able to run form me by strength to avoid that becoming a habit. I would have her turned out as much as possible. If you are too scared to ride her I would lunge her a few times, if you are still too scared to ride her send her back as that is not the way to start your relationship - or see if the previous owners will come and work her if that might allay your nerves.
I'm afraid it does sound to me like you are a bit scared to rider her and she is a bit fresh and it sounds like it might end in disaster. It's normally better to work horses in a new environment to take excess energy out rather than let them rest and then be fresh and in a new environment which is often a bad combination.

Dia

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from - a new horse at a new yard when you have confidence issues is hugely overwhelming and well-meaning people throwing (often conflicting) advice at you does not help with getting a clear head!

This mare is not yet yours if I’ve understood correctly? It might be worth having a frank chat with the owner - they may be able to advise, or they may feel the match hasn’t worked out. I assume they know the horse the best so I would start with them.

Birker2020

Visit site
She sounds to much horse for you . I can understand where your coming from since my first horse wasn’t right horse for me .
Yes I had one like that too. I wanted to sell him as I never got on with him, I had him 11 months. Mum advised me to wait until the spring to see how I got on, and then sadly he received an open fracture of his tibia in the field when he slipped and fell, so his fate was sealed.