new yard, pony causing trouble :(

Kadastorm

Visit site
Hi, im feeling pretty shoddy right now. i moved my pony closer to home on friday, its only my second ever yard as i have always been on the yard ive moved from so its all a bit strange for me and him.
On saturday morning i got a text from YO to say he has eaten the wood so he ended up having a muzzle on and today i got the yard to find he had broken out. fences are not electric so today i have spent alot of money on an energizer and battery, those damn screw in things and wire and have put two strands inside the post and rail after fixing it. however i couldnt figure out how to sort the energizer as it had no instructions so waiting for YO's dad to do that for me. For now pony is having to stay in.

Im so embarassed and really worried he wont settle. Im due to go on holiday on friday for 2 weeks, what if he does something again?? I really like the yard and facilities and the people seem really nice, its also close to home and en route to uni but fear he is just going to ruin it and we'll be asked to leave :(

anyone else had similar problems? :(

Elsbells

Visit site
He has to settle and that will take time, I found that spending extra time with my girl just walking around with her in tow and going through the introductions helped a lot. I'm sure things won't be ruined for you and that your new yard manager would of seen it all before.

In a few months you'll laugh at it all.

Woody2013

Visit site
As previous comment, he has to settle, it's still early days. And you have shown the YO that you are trying your best to repair any damage and/or make the situation work. Hope it all works out good for you and your pony xx

kerrieberry2

Visit site
bless him, they can't move in a settle in, they have to make themselves know!

I moved about 3 months ago, and the following morning, I arrived to find they'd rubbed their bums on the gate and knocked it off the top hinge, how they didn't get out ill never know! so at 9am that morning I was on the phone to the farmer, sure he wasn't best impressed! then the boy jumped out of the field in to the garden of the bungalow, on the corner of the field, was in there from 10pm until 6.30 when they finally managed to get hold of my phone number! and since he has jumped into the hay field a few times!! so a good electric fencer is defo required!

Good luck and sure he will settle in soon!

Kadastorm

Visit site
Thankyou guys, i hope he sorts himself out and behaves from now on. im on holiday from friday and dont want to have to worry the whole time. It seems that he only gets up to this over night so i may have to start bringing him in now instead of later in the year.

I just feel so embarassed about it! He just doesnt care, they said he looked so smug about it when they found him... i wanted the ground to open up and swallow me!

sonjafoers

Visit site
He's a pony and they own a yard so don't worry, they're probably used to it & he will settle.

I moved yards a month ago and all was very peaceful - until one day last week when I had 3 voicemails from my non-horsey YO to say my mini was in his utility room & what should he do!

I agree it's very embarrassing and if you're like me you don't want to be the source of any trouble but as Elsbells says you'll look back & laugh at it - it just doesn't feel like it right now!

It's all strange for him too but he will settle x

Echo Bravo

Visit site
If they are true horsey people they know that horses and ponies take time to settle into a new place, so don't let yourself get hassled by the situation, take it as it comes. Rocco when I first got him used to jump into the other paddocks and then jump back, luckerly I own the land. :)

littlemare_

Visit site
Ditto what everyones said, he will settle so dont worry too much!
If your feeling guilty, just say to YO next time something happens that your sorry for the trouble and im sure she will really apperciate it :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Little beggar, what does your YO say about it, we moved to a livery yard after having the horses at home, my lad is a known escape artist, and twice led the others on a walkabout, once across a main road, we put electric fencing alongside the hedge he was getting through, our YO was pleased my lad had highlighted a problem area in his field