New yard problem

tubby1

Visit site
Just moved yards this week. Totally love the place , horsey really settled:) But went up this morning at 8 which I thought was quite late ( last yard turnout was at 7) fed mucked out etc. By 9 still was only person on yard so had turn her out on her own. She had been in a paddock on her own this week but with close contact with other horse's . Have had to leave her out not looking very happy. Also not much grazing in the field . I moved yards so she would get daily turnout but I don't want her out on her own. Also there isn't much grass in her paddock other paddocks the same do you think I should get a bale of haylage for her field ? And should I have left her out. New horse owner so maybe over worrying:)

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Firstly had the horses been done up, and just not turned out? Or had they not been done up? What type of livery are you on? Where is the YO/YM?

TBH I would be wary of leaving a horse out alone who is not used to it, or who is showing signs of not liking it. She may get very stressed or decide to bring herself back in.

I would speak to YO and bring up your issues.
FDC

skint1

Visit site
Our yard is DIY, some people come at 4:30 am and turn theirs out, some come at 10am, some bring in at 3pm some as late as 7 (ours is usually this one, if a friend doesn't bring him for us he has to wait til one of us finishes work) We tend to turn ours out between 7:45-9 every day.

It works because most are turned out in pairs, or they don't mind standing in alone for a bit (ours is like that as long as he has haylage- which he always does) , also there are a number of horses at the yard who live out 24/7 and they live next door to my horse's field so he's never alone even if he is the last to be bought in.

I think unless there are specific rules in place this kind of thing tends to happen, the horses don't seem to mind.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
As long as she wasn't charging around and likely to injure herself I would of left her out too. A lot of yards don't have much grazing at the moment so are having to give a couple of sections of hay. That might also help her settle if she's munching on the hay! What time is turnout in the week?

tubby1

Visit site
Normally y/o turns her out around 8.30/ 9. She wasn't charging around just standing shouting a bit. I think I will pop back up and see if she is ok .