New Yard??

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Hi all

I think I'm looking for some affirmation that I'm doing the right thing...

The yard I'm at atm is lovely... Nice stables, pretty good turnout, average hacking, but no school. I love the people there and I have an arrangement with one whereby she does mine and hers in the morning and I do them both in the evening. £20 a week. I like all the people there altho a couple are prone to stirring a bit and I feel a bit hacked off at the mo.

I've just been to look at a yard tonight which is 5 mins further away but has a brand new school, floodlights to be installed this year, good turnout and good hacking. Instructor on site... All for £22.50 a week. Apparently the girls there frequently take turns doing turnouts too...

I've been wanting to move to a yard with a nice school for awhile as I feel not having one was limiting our progress... But as daft as it sounds I feel a bit scared leaving my friends and the routine I know!

I have to let the YO know tomorrow if I want the place- so need words of encouragement! :)

Help?!

R

Jazzy B

Visit site
I can offer you no words of wisdom OP as I am going through the very same dilemma :confused: I'll wait and see what other people reckon :D

Jingleballs

Visit site
Personally, I couldn't be at a yard without a school! I did it before and just about managed but now I'm used to having on I couldn't go without!

Best thing to do is try and write a list of pro's and con's of each and try to see which one comes out of top.

Your current yard, for all the little things that bother you, is a know entity - better the devil you know and all that.

Just be mindful that if you move, there may be a whole new set of issues - big or small.

Do you know anyone at the new yard who can give an honest opinion of what it's like?

If you do decide to move, leave on good terms so you can always move back if there are any issues.

Good luck with your decision!

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Tiffany ...There's been a few things over the time I've been there... Mostly around people saying I should sell my boy as he was never going to be any good...(he's now turning into a superstar after some time and patience ) and apart from one other livery, no one has any real motivation to do anything other than plod round the block. At the new yard they're going to be organising clinics and lessons etc... Stuff I would be interested in doing, plus with 9 other liveries, I feel there would be more going on.... :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I am in same dilemma but will be moving eventhough its 5 pound more its in my village so no petrol costs. I need a school just not enjoying my boy like i should be without one!

Tiffany

Visit site
Tiffany ...There's been a few things over the time I've been there... Mostly around people saying I should sell my boy as he was never going to be any good...(he's now turning into a superstar after some time and patience ) and apart from one other livery, no one has any real motivation to do anything other than plod round the block. At the new yard they're going to be organising clinics and lessons etc... Stuff I would be interested in doing, plus with 9 other liveries, I feel there would be more going on.... :)

I think you've answered your own question, you want to progress further with your boy and without a school and some support & motivation from others you don't feel you can.

Let us know when you've moved :cool:

sandi_84

Visit site
I second caseycat's post, could you still hire the school and join in the clinics etc?
If so I'd be tempted to stay put as it seems you generally like the place you are at and the only major bugbear is no school arena.
If not then I'd move.
Good luck with your decision! :D

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Sandi /Cassey - unfortunately it's too far to hack to regularly. And the school is due to be floodlit this year...which means I could keep riding through winter. This is virtually impossible at my yard.

Did I also mention it's right next door to an xc course... I don't really do much jumping... But I could be persuaded :D

Thanks for the advice all... I think my mind is virtually made up that I'm going to move... I just need to be brave!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Moving to another yard is always a concern because you cannot se into the future so you don't know if it will be a success or not. You have some issues with the yard you are at, i.e some saying that you should sell your horse as you are not going to progress etc. Well the only way you will progress is to go somewhere where you can do more schooling & the new yard has an arena. Having 9 horses on a yard may appear a large yard to you compared to where you are at the moment but it really isn't.

With the attitude shown by some of the liveries at your current yard I would definately move to the new yard & put myself in a position to school my horse & progress further. Those at your old yard who you get on you can keep in touch with & posibly meet up with, as for the others they can bet placed in the past.

caseycat

Visit site
If you have decided to move, then i wish you well for the future. Remember to keep looking forward and not back, there are always going to be things that get to you wherever you are, but it does sound at if the new yard can offer you the things you would like. As others have said always try and leave on a positive note, far better for your reputation in the small horsey community, and you never know what the future may bring. Keep us posted on how it all goes x