New Yearling Owner

vanessabaxter

Visit site
As a new yearling owner, I have discovered just how unpredictable he can be. Sometimes fairly gentle and genuinely interested, then other times he's trying to bite me and goes crazy in his paddock, kicking, bucking and rearing.
Can anyone advise with experience what exactly I should be expecting with this 20 month old, 16 hand monster.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
As a new yearling owner, I have discovered just how unpredictable he can be. Sometimes fairly gentle and genuinely interested, then other times he's trying to bite me and goes crazy in his paddock, kicking, bucking and rearing.
Can anyone advise with experience what exactly I should be expecting with this 20 month old, 16 hand monster.
Well, he's a 2 yr old as aging goes.
Thus the equivalent of a 3 to 4 yr old child. When he is good, he'll be very very good, when he is obnoxious he'll be horrible.
Is he out on his own or in company?
The acting in the field is play, does he have a similar age companion to wrestle, play and charge around with?
Is he entire or a gelding?

I would be expecting a 2 yr old to have manners when attached to a human, whether its leading in and out of stable, loading, holding for farrier etc. Maybe small allowances can be made if fidgety if doing a prolonged spell of standing still, but 20 mins or so for farrier should easily be attainable.

TheMule

Visit site
What are his living arrangements? There's a very good reason most people chuck 2 year olds out in a mixed herd and let them get on with it. Generally less is more when it comes to handling them and you just forget about them until they're 3 and a bit more in control of their emotions, having been squashed by their herd members

ihatework

Visit site
By 20 months (assuming I have been responsible for their upbringing) I categorically expect them not to display significant acts of biting/kicking/rearing/bucking aimed at me - this would have been dealt with quite firmly much earlier.

They can do all that sort of stuff with their herd which accounts for 99%+ of their life at that age.

I want to be able to catch them. Not be excessively mugged. Lead within reason. Deal with farrier within reason. The rest of the fine tuning starts at 3.

One of my yearlings I purchased at around 15 months was vile initially. I took no prisoners in the first few weeks. She very quickly understood the boundaries and seemed far more relaxed and secure about life when she understood.

vanessabaxter

Visit site
Well, he's a 2 yr old as aging goes.
Thus the equivalent of a 3 to 4 yr old child. When he is good, he'll be very very good, when he is obnoxious he'll be horrible.
Is he out on his own or in company?
The acting in the field is play, does he have a similar age companion to wrestle, play and charge around with?
Is he entire or a gelding?

I would be expecting a 2 yr old to have manners when attached to a human, whether its leading in and out of stable, loading, holding for farrier etc. Maybe small allowances can be made if fidgety if doing a prolonged spell of standing still, but 20 mins or so for farrier should easily be attainable.

Hi.
Thank you for your reply.
Hes very lucky to have two older horses in the paddock next to him. They teach him lessons and manners at the same time.
He is very very good tied up, good for farrier and almost falls asleep when being clipped. He's just a handful when put out into a new paddock of grass. Lacks manners sometimes when leading but teaching him to respect my space. Has barged through me into his paddock once before but brought him back out and in to let him know this is not ok. He does get fed up with some lead training in arena and will bolt if hes had enough. I tend to leave him alone to be a horse more now rather than bringing him into arena as much.
So, do you feel this is just typical yearling reactions perhaps?
V

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hes very lucky to have two older horses in the paddock next to him. They teach him lessons and manners at the same time.

How do you reckon they do that when there's a fence and a gate between them?

You keep him alone and call him "lucky" to be able to talk to two older horses over a gate/ fence. You clip him? He's not even 2, why?

I'm sorry but that's no way to keep a two year old, he must be frustrated as hell and your response is to call him a monster.

What an odd start on the forum for a new poster this is.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
Hi.
Thank you for your reply.
He is very very good tied up, good for farrier and almost falls asleep when being clipped. He's just a handful when put out into a new paddock of grass. Lacks manners sometimes when leading but teaching him to respect my space. Has barged through me into his paddock once before but brought him back out and in to let him know this is not ok. He does get fed up with some lead training in arena and will bolt if hes had enough. I tend to leave him alone to be a horse more now rather than bringing him into arena as much.
So, do you feel this is just typical yearling reactions perhaps?
V
Please see ycbm's post #8 above. We rarely agree, but I'm completely in agreement with her post.
No 2 year old should be 'bolting'. Why is he having arena training, is he shown?
No 2 yr old should be on their own long term out in a field.

Please please do some research on youngstock management before you have a completely mentally wrecked animal on your hands that could end up unsellable or dangerous.
Management changes need to be effected asap, please, for his sake.

Arzada

Visit site
Why is he having arena training, is he shown?
Yes, from another thread:
I have just bought a yearling (20 months) having been out of competitive riding for 20 years. He is a handful at times and can be unpredictable to say the least. He has however, been well handled, shown in hand, clipped, farrier etc etc. He still attempts to take chunks out of me given the opportunity and can rear, kick and bolt off when hes had enough.
I get advice and reassurance constantly from my coach.

vanessabaxter

Visit site
Is he actually turned out in the same field as other horses?

And yes, pretty standard behaviour.

Hi
He's in a paddock right next to the older horses. He's able to connect over the wire fencing and I've seen him often been put in his place by both older horses.
All in all he's actually very good to catch, cover, float, clip, groom etc. He just has moments when he's a little vile and I'm guessing this is just his age and trying to push the boundaries with me. I've only had him 6 weeks, so I'm putting this down to him testing how far he can go with me. I've growled at him and chased him in the paddock when he's been rather invasive of my space by rearing and kicking out. In the afternoon I find him as gentle as a lamb as it's tea time and he loves his food. I can take off and throw covers over him without a halter and he's happy to stand there with his dinner.
Your thoughts all in all??

vanessabaxter

Visit site
How do you reckon they do that when there's a fence and a gate between them?

You keep him alone and call him "lucky" to be able to talk to two older horses over a gate/ fence. You clip him? He's not even 2, why?

I'm sorry but that's no way to keep a two year old, he must be frustrated as hell and your response is to call him a monster.

What an odd start on the forum for a new poster this is.
Hi

He was in a completely separated paddock with his previous owner. He was shown in hand and won two champions. I've had him 6 weeks, so he's getting used to a new environment. He's never had the opportunity to be with other horses so close, so in a sense he's been lucky to spend his time close to two older horses.
He's clipped because he get very very hot and sweats. This is done for his comfort and also for showing. He is turned out for weeks after every show and won't be shown again until our summer time in December 2022, possibly.
I've been given so much conflicting information about how to handle a yearling, which I find rather confusing. I want to do the right thing by him and allow him to be a happy little fellow that's just as happy to be with me and feel safe and secure.
He's great to catch, float, farrier, worm and clip. He can just get very wild when put into a new paddock with new grass. I'm feeding him a supplement of toxin binder with vitamins and minerals to help with the effects of grass.
Positive and encouraging advice would be much apprecaited.

vanessabaxter

Visit site
Yes, from another thread:
Yes, he's walked and trotted in an arena for 15mins max as part of his exercise and training as a young one. This is taken very carefully and when he's had enough I take him back to his paddock.
He is a show horse destined for showing and dressage. He's been in two show's with previous owning, winning two champions.

vanessabaxter

Visit site
Yes, I have read the posts. We don't have herds of horses for me to put him into. He's never been in a herd before, as mentioned. He's mostly left to be a horse with his mates in the paddock beside him. There's only two other horses at our paddocking.
My coach has a 2.5 year old who spends all his time in his own paddock parked up to other horses over the fence.

nagblagger

Visit site
Omg..connect over a wire fence, a disaster waiting to happen. I appreciate some show ponies are not allowed to mix with other horses due to trying to prevent injury and potential scars. Unfortunately I think of the animals welfare and to me this is cruel. It's not what you want to hear but you have asked our opinions.

vanessabaxter

Visit site
I appreciate everyones opinions as I've asked for them.
It is interesting to hear such a variety of opinions.
I have been given a complete contradiction of opinions of what he should be doing and not doing.

nagblagger

Visit site
vanessabaxter said:
Yes, I have read the posts. We don't have herds of horses for me to put him into. He's never been in a herd before, as mentioned. He's mostly left to be a horse with his mates in the paddock beside him. There's only two other horses at our paddocking.
My coach has a 2.5 year old who spends all his time in his own paddock parked up to other horses over the fence.

It doesn't make it right !!

Arzada

Visit site
What!!!
Get a grip!
You sound like I'm punishing him. He's loved, cared for and gets lots of attention.
I don't treat him like a machine and I'm certainly not cruel to him.
I'm sorry to tell you that being loved, cared for and getting lots of human attention is not what is important to a horse. Of course it's important that we love and care for our horses but they are herd animals so being part of and safe in a stable herd of equines is of the greatest importance to them. Why aren't you turning him out with the two older horses?

vanessabaxter

Visit site
I'm sorry to tell you that being loved, cared for and getting lots of human attention is not what is important to a horse. Of course it's important that we love and care for our horses but they are herd animals so being part of and safe in a stable herd of equines is of the greatest importance to them. Why aren't you turning him out with the two older horses?
Hi
The other two horses are not mine. I can't just pop him into the paddock with them. I've also got to be careful that he doesn't cause injury to them and himself. He plays a lot with them but with them being old, they get a bit tired of him.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
OP; imagine you are three years old and your mum doesn’t ever let you play with other children because you might get bruised or scratched or dirty. Your mum only lets you look at the other children playing together and having fun from the safety of your own garden. Your mum loves you very much and spends lots of time brushing your hair and entering you in beauty pageants and just can’t understand why you act out sometimes when she loves you so much.