Newbie/lurker after some reassurance please!

Tapir

Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm a lurker & occasional poster but I could really do with some reassurance this morning.

We had tw0 retired ponies living at my parents' place until a few weeks ago when one had to be pts with colic leaving the other on her own. As she needed a companion and I'd been looking for a horse for me for a while we decided that I would find a horse asap for me to ride & to be a friend for the old pony left behind.

Anyway, Rio arrived last night in the rain, wind and dark was put in the next door stable & seemed to settle in ok. this morning we took Rio for a walk (no saddle that fits atm) and when he had got down the drive the old pony was turned out. He was a bit lively on our walk but had calmed down by halfway round. However, just as we neared home we had to wait for a car to go past then met 2 other horses and he started to get wound up. As we got up the drive towards the stables he was shouting and messing about until finally after rearing up & striking out he got away from me into the field next to our old pony (which fortunately was where we had intended him to go anyway. He settled instantly to eating & let me take his bridle off.

Now though I'm worried that he got away from me and that we're going to have issues seperating them. I'm planning to go back up this afternoon, bring him onto the yard with some food change his rug and hope he'll be sensible to be turned back out again.

Sorry for the long post but I really need some reassurance that we'll be ok and any advice what to do next bearing in mind I work full time and the evenings are now dark.

Thank you

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Hopefully he is just unsettled due to the move and will calm down in a few days. Keep doing as you are, try to be firm with him so he can't run away, if nessecary lead him in a bridle so you have more control. He should soon settle. Also try to spend some time with him so he can get to know you, maybe do some ground work or lunging, so he knows to listen to you.

sea_view

Visit site
I'll think you'll find it is linked to the cold, wet, windy conditions he arrived in and just settling in. Get him into a routine, let him know who is boss - not him and make sure he has some time spent away from your wee pony too. As above spend time on the ground with him grooming and lunging and I am sure he'll be fine
smile.gif

nikkinoo

Visit site
I find my horse gets really stroppy when being led out (I always use bridle) but riding she is fine.

Was the horse previously stabled? maybe he was just wound up and excited to be out. and all being new to him just took advantage.

Do you know what his routine was before?

How big is he and how old?
Give him a chance to settle, the more info you have off previous owners will be a good indication of what to expect from him.

Good Luck xx

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hi Tapir. I wouldn't worry too much about new ned - he should settle after a bit. Some settle within hours but some can need as long as 6 weeks to feel comfortable again. Do you know anything about his previous management? When it comes to leading him around, I'd have him in a control headcollar eg Monty Roberts Dually or similar, but do make sure you know how it works so you can give INSTANT release of pressure when he does what you ask. Some basic ground work would help too. In his control headcollar, quietly practice some come forward/move back and stay-out-of-my-space stuff. Just to get him respecting you and recognising that you can keep him safe.

The separation thing is going to need to be managed carefully. Get both of them used to occasional spells when the other one is led outside the field. Start tiny - take one away just to outside the field, but staying where they can both still see each other. Let the other know nothing horrible is going to happen. Build this up bit by bit until both are happy to be out of each other's sight for a couple of hours. Won't be easy in the dark but just take as long as it takes and don't let yourself get anxious or worried - they'll both pick that up in 10 seconds and get worried about the whole business and you don't want that.

CBFan

Visit site
I think you'll find it's just new yard, setlling in etc etc and if you continue in a firm manner, consistent routine, he'll settle, albeit in a few weeks rather than days.

I think your idea of bringing him in on his own is a good one but it might be worth keeping the other on in sight to begin with.

Tapir

Visit site
thanks for the replies everyone. I know in my head it's just him getting settled in but when it's your own it can be so different, stressful and a bit scary!

He was lead out in a bridle but only in a french link, he's usually ridden in a waterford snaffle but although his owner promised she'd send it with him, it didn't arrive last night.

He's used to being out during the day and in at night. He was only kept in last night though because of the time he arrived and the horrible weather. He was actually a very laid back pony when I went to see him and was really quite lazy to be ridden so I'm hoping if that's his general attitude he'll go back to that soon but I just don't want him to think he has the upper hand already while we're waiting for him to settle!

He's 14.3 and 7 years old.

Tapir

Visit site
oh and unfortunately, we don't have a school, there is one that I can hack to and we have a little piece of grass I can probably do a bit of lungeing on but it will be slippery when it's rained, like today.