Newbie Question About Horses

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I think it depends on the breed; TBs are fast growers/maturers and I believe reach full height around 3/4 (they'll broaden out and continue maturing until they're 7) Cobs mature later but I'd be guessing if I said at what age they reach full height.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When do horses reach their full height?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally when they stop growing, though Clarita would stand on her toes when being measured hoping to make 15 hands!! Awww, bless her.

SmokieJoe

Visit site
Thanks everyone, ive took a shine to a 3 year old cob, but she is only 13.2hh and the smallest i wanted to go was 14.3hh.

Think its wishful thinking that she will reach 14.2-14.3hh lol

Sparklet

Visit site
She is very young SJ and having read your previous post on riding lessons if you were to start owning one I would increase the lessons until you feel a bit more confident before you think about ownership. You would also be much better with an older horse that has done quite a bit.

Some people do begin training when a horse is 3 especially if they are pretty big but then tend to turn them away to grow up a bit. If this pony has done any work at all it will be limited, do you really want to begin by trying to break a pony?

Rambo

Visit site
I've just realised that you were the OP of the 'Riding Lessons' thread too.

In that thread you are talking about being a nervous rider, who has barely mastered rising trot, and with a lot of physical problems too.

Are you seriously considering buying a 3yo horse at this stage in your riding
shocked.gif

Sorry, I don't mean sound harsh, but either there is a wind up going on here, or a serious reality check is in order imo
crazy.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There is a formula which you can take measurements & from that you can work out approcximate height a horse or pony will make at maturity...unfortunately I don't know the formula.
confused.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone, ive took a shine to a 3 year old cob, but she is only 13.2hh and the smallest i wanted to go was 14.3hh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you for real? You are the same poster who made the Riding Lessons thread aren't you?

Ah well - it is half term afterall
smirk.gif