Newmarket Fall Training

Jules19

Visit site
This the first thread I've ever started so please bear with me!

Following on from Kerilli's posts regarding Breakfall training I have been doing a little investigating of the British Racing School's new Equichute machine. This is basically a horse sized and shaped piece of plastic, that is catapulted down a track using compressed air, and then 'bucks' you off at the end (onto a large squidgy mat!) :eek:

Obviously this is targeted at the resident students of the Racing School, however it is also open to the public via half day training courses. So as a piece of general information if anyone is interested, the half day consists of

. Intro and briefing
. Technique practical session
. Equichute practical training and fall analysis

It costs £75 per session and the upcoming dates are 21 December and 15 February.

You can find further info on the BRS website, or you can PM me with your email address and I'll send the poster and application form. I'll also take some posters along to Kerilli's training day on 20 November if you are coming to that. They only have space for 15 people each time but I know they are nowhere near full yet if anyone fancies it. I'm doing the one in December if you want to wait for a report before committing.;)

Rosiefan

Visit site
Rosie was invited a few weeks ago along with some other eventers and p2p riders. There will be a report in H&H sometime this month I gather.

kerilli

Visit site
This sounds really really good. The BE one has 50 spaces iirc so the BRC one will probably allow a lot more turns each on the Equichute, which can only be a good thing. I really hope to get to one of them, probably the February one.

NeilM

Visit site
SJB.

I think you need to practise that after your recent experiences!!
Lol
R

That's a very good point.

One off training sessions are excellent at showing you technique and to build your confidence, but if you don't continue to practice what you have been shown, it will not become instinctive and has, therefore, got less of a chance of kicking in automatically in the event of a fall.

oldvic

Visit site
There is an interesting article in the Telegraph about it. A.P. reckons it may help to speed up reactions but falling is more about instinct and luck - he was talking about so many jockeys being injured at the moment from the best down and that Ruby had no chance to avoid injury as the horse came down on top of him.
I think that it is a false security to think it is going to prevent injury as when you fall you don't normally have time to think what you are going to do so if the instinct is not inborn then it isn't there. If it is there but needs developing it would help but I believe that half a day in mid winter is going to be of limited value by next summer unless you keep topping it up.

JoG

Visit site
This is very interesting. I have been approached to give some of the HEMS crews more info about the different accidents horses can cause (handling/riding/falling/being thrown etc.) and am sure they would love to see this in action so they can get a better perspective of the forces involved in an unscheduled dismount (and then have a better idea of likely injury!!)

NeilM

Visit site
I think that it is a false security to think it is going to prevent injury as when you fall you don't normally have time to think what you are going to do so if the instinct is not inborn then it isn't there.

It is no more a false security to train for a fall than is is to wrap yourself in a BP, airjacket and hard hat and think that these items alone will protect you.

As a Martial Arts instructor for over 20 years I can assure you that with sufficient training and practice, just like any other aspect of riding, a person CAN be trained to react instinctively to a fall and to take the appropriate action.

I will accept that there is no way to mitigate the effects of a falling horse, regardless of discipline, and I have written on this forum before that in the event of a fall, especially from height as in XC, steeplechase, hunting etc, your best friend will instantly become your greatest enemy, as even a glancing blow from a flailing hoof could be enough to kill you.

There are two choices any rider can make regarding this matter, you either learn how to take a fall or you leave the whole thing to chance.