News presenter stops horse

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13779692 said:
Hmmm yes. we have that answer for incidents at work where there have been major safety breaches 'well yes, it was a major near miss but no-one was injured, so surely that is mitigation'....... ohhhh, so you want us to wait until someone is seriously injured or (god forbid!) dies before we take action? Sorry, it will never work for me.

So, some of us are doers, and some are bystanders: that's OK.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13779702 said:
PMSL! Amusing attempt at provocation that aint gonna work - been there, dealt with trade unions, got the t-shirt :D I've heard that line soooo many times :D

Nope, I have no interest in provoking anyone, least of all you, but not doing things because you might get hurt will result in not doing anything at all. She seems to have judged the risk pretty well. And I'm not a trade union.

{97702}

Visit site
Nope, I have no interest in provoking anyone, least of all you, but not doing things because you might get hurt will result in not doing anything at all. She seems to have judged the risk pretty well. And I'm not a trade union.

Apologies - fair enough - sometimes it takes me far too long to snap out of work mode, I'm sorry it showed itself yet again tonight. I apologise Cortez, honestly, I need to take a chill pill more often and leave work behind, I'm really sorry :(

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13779713 said:
Apologies - fair enough - sometimes it takes me far too long to snap out of work mode, I'm sorry it showed itself yet again tonight. I apologise Cortez, honestly, I need to take a chill pill more often and leave work behind, I'm really sorry :(

Haha, lighten up! Life's too short for what ifs....What's your work? Sounds grim ;-)

{97702}

Visit site
Haha, lighten up! Life's too short for what ifs....What's your work? Sounds grim ;-)

HR...... it is somewhat challenging but really that isn't an excuse, I take life too seriously sometimes! Phew, keeps bursting out unexpectedly on here - like you say, life is way to short :D :D

dominobrown

Visit site
I think it was a calculated risk by someone who knew exactly what she was doing, and it paid off. Loved that she unsaddled him too :)

Exactly... she knew what she was doing and you can tell she has worked around horses... if her tv career doesnt woek out I would give her a job! Haha

{97702}

Visit site
Nah sorry - took myself far too seriously and all - but I’ve just looked at it again - still stupid and unnecessary. A calculated risk that resulted in the wrong call.

{97702}

Visit site
[Content removed]

As usual Popsdosh you are unnecessarily offensive, you really are an extremely unpleasant individual. I have a clear reason for deciding that in my opinion it was the wrong decision but I feel no need to “justify” my opinion to the likes of you

Last edited by a moderator:

{97702}

Visit site
What a horrible comment! You might disagree with Levrier, but I don't see the need to be so unpleasant about it!

It’s not unusual for this user to be so offensive in my experience - no doubt he will get a slap on the wrist if anything.... but screen shots have been retained to evidence the type of person he is....

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Lévrier;13779780 said:
It’s not unusual for this user to be so offensive in my experience - no doubt he will get a slap on the wrist if anything.... but screen shots have been retained to evidence the type of person he is....

Is popdosh male?
Thats surprising! Honesty? I had a picture of a very horsey middle aged lady from his posts. Dont know why.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Lévrier;13779741 said:
- still stupid and unnecessary. A calculated risk that resulted in the wrong call.

Yup. Just because she wasn't injured doesn't make it a sensible thing to have done.

Last edited:

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The horse had run blind with his visor over his eyes for two laps. The lady is an experienced horse woman and has been around racehorses more than most. The horse was aware of her and was slowing as it approached. She took a calculated risk to save the horses life. Good on her, give her an award. I won't be re-enacting her bravery...ever.

I think it might have been better not caught on camera, there are too many idiots in the world who think once they've seen something on tv, they can recreate it.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I'm another one who thinks she knew what she was doing and, therefore, what the risks were. She made a call that the horse was distressed and likely to hurt itself and/or others and stepped in.

It could have ended badly either way but it was her judgement that it was the right thing to do. She certainly had more knowledge about the risks of trying to catch half a ton of moving TB than most people do and still made the decision.

Would I have done it? Yes, probably if I felt the horse was distressed.

pansymouse

Visit site
Her arm and chest muscles are going to suffer for a few days and the frock might be a write off but I think she did the right thing. I'm pretty sure I would have done the some - I have stepped in front of a bolting pony and stopped it but it could see me which is slightly different.

little_critter

Visit site
Ok - I'll change my opinion. I did initially think it was a daft thing to do and the horse would stop of its own accord after a lap or two.
If as you say, the blinkers had slipped and it had already been running in a panic then I think she did the right thing.
Although I also think it's poor that it's left to a TV presenter in a dress and unsuitable shoes, rather than a course official to do the deed.

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
Lévrier;13779662 said:
Please reassure us that you weren't also wearing socks? :p :) :)
Actually, I think I would have been in carpet slippers - my standard good weather outdoor wear, pre-sandals phase. :p Wore them everywhere as a student, including when it was my turn to give the reading in Chapel when the slippers' colour (burgundy) exactly matched the carpet behind the lectern, making my feet partly disappear. Too much unnecessary detail, really! :D

{97702}

Visit site
Actually, I think I would have been in carpet slippers - my standard good weather outdoor wear, pre-sandals phase. :p Wore them everywhere as a student, including when it was my turn to give the reading in Chapel when the slippers' colour (burgundy) exactly matched the carpet behind the lectern, making my feet partly disappear. Too much unnecessary detail, really! :D

Lol that has made me giggle - definitely your alternative footwear phase :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I would have tried to stop it as well, as being a carriage driver I have seen horses panic when they cannot see, and even if I fell which have been more than likely I am another who could not sit back and watch regardless of the fall. That is more or less what happened to me at sponsored ride, mare ducked after jump and I came off the side but still held the reins and was dragged backwards on my back, and if it wasn't for the livery putting her horse between me and photographer I would be showing more than I would have wanted as my jods were being pulled down.

Last edited:

WandaMare

Visit site
I think she did the right thing. Experienced horsewoman, quickly weighed up the situation and potential risks, then made a call and went for it. Horse people do take risks, all sorts of risks every day which are potentially much more dangerous than catching a loose horse.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My grey haired, apple cheeked mum caught a troop horse that had dumped the trooper and was running amok in Hyde Park. I suppose she could have been hurt but so could a kid or senior person or disabled person who didn't get out of the way fast enough. Acknowledge that the races is a different environment though.