Next best thing to road planings for yard surface..?

diddy

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Have had some very helpful advice about resurfacing our turnout area & had decided to go with road planings. However, because of where we are & limited access, I've been unable to source any despite calling pretty much all the local-ish suppliers, council etc. :(

Just wondering what would be the best alternative? I have a walkway that is limestone (20mm maybe?) topped with limestone dust but this is a pain to keep clean. Would just the limestone work or would that be tough on their feet?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you!

Diddy. xxx

Dubsie

Visit site
Is there anywhere with good access locally you can have your load tipped, and then bucket load to a smaller trailer to take back to yours? We've a similar problem so I'd be asking a neighbouring business if we could do this (when eventually we build)

WelshD

Visit site
Limestone would be fine, it usually comes in two forms

'down' which is a certain size down to dust - eg 20mm down

'clean' which should contain limited fine particles eg 20mm clean

It shouldn't be tough on their feet

Depending on the area you need covered you could contact local aggregates yards, the company I work for deliver in loads of approximately 2 tonnes in a tipper vehicle about the size of a transit van, other companies will have tippers that are bigger but not as big as an 8 wheeler which carries 20t

The benefit of doing this is that you can stop when you have enough and aren't committed to a 20t load

Last edited:

diddy

Visit site
Hi again.

Thanks for your thoughts! Good to know limestone might work. Hadn't thought of sand! And yes, we can get other aggregates delivered in 2-ton loads. But our regular suppliers don't do planings. I'm going to look into sand or limestone, or maybe see if I can get it delivered to a neighbours & rent a digger/dumper combo to bring it onto our yard. Lots of potential solutions there :)

Thanks all!

D.xxx