Next question. What is his market value?

doodle

Visit site
For insurance purposes he is not for sale. 12 in may. 16.2hh scottish sports horse gelding. Be 80 and 90 with sucess (always placed but best being 3rd) up until last year. Easy apart from clipping. Not novice horse as can have a spook and has big paces but for a rider is easy. Hacks alone and company. I think his age means price comibg down from what i paid but he only had 1 be then and now has had 3 seasons. Easily move to 100 but that is probably irrelevant.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
cant give you guidance on how much but when i had my horse insured they wanted to know how much i paid for her so she was insured for that amount....have just done a search on horsequest and one horse came up as £3750, i put age and size and catagory event horses... this one has just been c/c schooling so yours would be worth more i would assume. hope this helps

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
im not sure how they decide what a horse's value is when they have been improved, i only did a bit of rc dressage with mine so was quite happy to insure for what i paid as her value wouldnt really have gone up...if that horse is more than you paid why not say £4500 or £5000 for his value and see what the insurers say...

SOS

Visit site
I think the underwriters must have category’s as to what qualifys for what so I’d just give them a ring? They seem to overestimate anyway.

My nice but torn DDFT, on box rest, won’t return to full work, gelding was valued at a minimum of £2000 :rolleyes: I asked them where I signed for the willing buyer to take him away!

eggs

Visit site
Are you insuring for loss of use? I have found when I have had to claim for horses that were pts in accordance with BEVA guidelines that for anything more than £3,000 you will end up having a conversation with the loss adjuster. The insurance company will then pay out what the loss adjuster advises.

For instance I had a homebred that I insured for the stud fee of £1,000. I then bought a very similar bred foal as a companion that cost £4,500. When I phoned my insurance company to increase the valuation of my foal to £4,500 they were happy to accept the increased valuation. Unfortunately he was pts as a result of a freak accident when he was only 3. I ended up having a very long conversation with the loss adjuster who did agree with the revised value. However for older horses that were pts - 13 and 15 years old - they would not accept the value they were insured for (purchase price) despite the fact that they were competing at a higher level due to their age.

If you are just insuring to cover for vet fees then it is not worth having too high a valuation. Sometimes when you increase the value over the purchase price they will want supporting documentation from your trainer / vet / other.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For insurance purposes he is not for sale. 12 in may. 16.2hh scottish sports horse gelding. Be 80 and 90 with sucess (always placed but best being 3rd) up until last year. Easy apart from clipping. Not novice horse as can have a spook and has big paces but for a rider is easy. Hacks alone and company. I think his age means price comibg down from what i paid but he only had 1 be then and now has had 3 seasons. Easily move to 100 but that is probably irrelevant.

I think you could get £8k for him if he's good looking and sound and properly marketed, in the Cheshire area but I wouldn't know about Scotland.

doodle

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I was actually wondering about lowering his value to reduce the premiums. Seems he is under insured already.