Nice and traditional or just old fashioned?

How confident are you when jumping?

• Total voters

vivhewe

Visit site
With all this bling around for neddies what is everyone's views on not wearing bling. By that I mean (for example my neddie lol!) Hunter cavesson bridle, saddle, girth and numnah all in brown and PLAIN
grin.gif

For competing I have the above, and I wear cream breeches (including for SJ) plain navy jacket and a champion bog-standard velvet hat that does for more or less everything!

No bling, colourful faff or bright pink bit rings anywhere to be seen! (Although I do have a riding shirt with frogs on
shocked.gif
)

So...

darksided

Visit site
I think plain looks nice, doesn't detract from the actual horse lol
A horse in plain functional tack and a rider in plain functional clothes, as long as they are neat and tidy, look much better
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Depends what you do.... I like a bit of "flashyness" but not into pink saddle clothes etc etc. A bit of imagination can be good.....
tongue.gif

_April_

Visit site
I used to like colours that would stand out when I was younger, about 13-16, but I grew out of it and now I like to wear all nice and classy stuff. (Well it is in my opinion anyway hehe.)
The only time I wear much colour is for cross country.

vivhewe

Visit site
Well I think that too, but I can also recall the equichavs at the last show I was at with their bling, and I kicked their asses lol!
grin.gif

It doesn't make the horse go any better really does it?
wink.gif

*viv runs and hides*

airedale

Visit site
was at 2 autumn pony club XC events in Sept. and there was so much pink, baby blue and lilac around it was positively common.

a bit like human clothing - what was in fashion comes back into fashion if you have it stuffed in the back of your wardrobe for long enough

I see in the not to distant future a return to blue, red, green, black being all the fashion again ;-))

and for those on a budget - just get black or brown and you are setup for showing classes as well as everyday and black and brown don't show the dirt like those white dressage squares do..........

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I think either is fine.. it depends on the personalities of the rider mostly and their preference. I dont consider people who keep things simple to be "old fashioned", just different to me
smile.gif

Im a bit of a fashion victim and whilst I like my tack to be traditional in colour (black for me though!), im partial to blingy browbands, loved the spurs posted in the other thread and like my saddle cloths to match bandages and such. Ive also had a fetish for pink for a long long time - but this is restricted to my own dress since everyone would be mean to me if i dressed my gelding in pink (besides I dont think it would look right on him
tongue.gif
)

vivhewe

Visit site
This girl is on my cousin's yard so as an example...

4008-CA.jpg

Bright colours are okay for XC but I'd personally ditch the pink jods for my cream ones, and she rides with pink stuff on like that all the time
crazy.gif

And her hoss is a gelding. Boys in pink just don't work
frown.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Lol :p Find that a bit over the top but it did bring a smile to my face never the less
tongue.gif

I agree that the jods would have been better in cream and im not a lover of those woof boots with the bright coloured straps. (I like her horsey in that pic tho!)

I tend to keep the colours on my horse (e.g. saddle cloth) quite muted (white, black, pale blue are his colours). Im perhaps a bit of an inbetweener type. My horse is a dressage horse so our colours tend to be quite monotonal... but equally I do like bling
frown.gif

TGM

Visit site
I'm really boring when it comes to tack - plain Havana hunter style bridle with flat cavesson noseband and plain brown leather saddle with brown numnah. Mind you I do top that with bright fluorescent gear for hacking out - but when competing it is brown tweed jacket, traditional navy velvet hat etc!

Daughter goes traditional for competing too, but does like purple accessories at home!

evsj

Visit site
I know someone who dresses her horses up in loads of showjumping bling (sheepskin pads, brass-fitted bridlework etc)....just to lunge them for 20 minutes!

Obviously has far too much time on her hands...

Sorry to upset anyone but I think nice horses in plain workmanlike tack look much classier. But it is down to taste and up to everyone to wear what they like (within reason).

Have noticed that John Whitaker seems to be competing in more and more simplified tack so hopefully the fashion victims will follow suit soon!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I prefer my horse to do its job (or attempt to do it) than look flashy. I find the more bling and pink the less good the horse/rider. I am very traditional you will find no colours anywhere around my horse unless there is a really cheap bargain rug then I do not care what colour it is but even then it will not come out in public!

Parkranger

Visit site
I like to look smart and have been known to have white boots/numnah and all my tack black on my chestnut! i love brown tack but think black looks better on him....

For showing, it's all about keeping it clean, simple but well turned out........

Claireg9

Visit site
I think its excusable of littlens, I used to wear everything yellow and black, i looked like a bumble bee, i even once badaged her tail up in bright yellow for SJ
blush.gif
!!
But these days i like Dark brown leather, navy jacket and navy velvet hat, long boots, sheepskin saddle pad in Brown, natural or Black and as little gadgets as you can get away with!

Snowberry

Visit site
I like showing stuff to be traditional - one local show we go to and someone turned up in a lovely PINK tweed (Pretty Ponies) jacket, pink tie etc....
shocked.gif

Its not my personal taste but lots of kids seem to be wearing it!

I do have to own up to buying Hattie a JW BLING browband (Diamonte) about 3yrs ago cos I'd never seen one before - within about 6months the whole of the NE was wearing them so she doesnt use it anymore!!!
(no VIV, that doesnt make Aunty Zoe an EQUICHAV!!!!)
mad.gif
) LOL

vivhewe

Visit site
Equichav! Equichav!
grin.gif

wink.gif

Nah, I applaud Hattie for not using it any more
smile.gif
I sound really hypocritical now though as when I'm at work in the shop it's probably selling faff to equichavs that pays my wages!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Cant stand anything pink, purple or glittery (although the spurs that BB were talking about might sway me LOL).

I dont mind them on ponies but definatly not horses. My tack is all black, apart from a green & white saddle cloth and for shows i have a black jacket, white jods and long boots. I do have a GPA though (dont know if that counts as SJ bling or not). I borrowed my friend half fluffy numnah and hated it too.

I also brought a John Whitakher numnah 2 years ago which i now refuse to wear as i think its become to equi chav and i like to be different.

I never buy any Joules stuff or similar either, good old primark for me LOL

hussar

Visit site
Endurance doesn't have a tradition to conform to so lots of us are colour-coordinated from numnahs to gloves, bridles to chaps. Bright colours stand out a mile if you get lost! Also helps crews to see whether it's 'their' rider coming down that hill in the distance. People often start endurance in long boots, cream jods and hacking jacket. By their third outing they've realised how uncomfortable that stuff is for spending hours in the saddle and they've got the neon gear!

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hunter cavesson bridle, saddle, girth and numnah all in brown and PLAIN

[/ QUOTE ]

that describes pickles tack completely! I only ever wear mad bright colours in fancy dress compitions such as my "green with envy" entry for one show! I like the traditional look, but

[ QUOTE ]
I find the more bling and pink the less good the horse/rider

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think this is true on of my best friends ponies wears a lot of pink and she is a really good rider has basically taught her highland to jump from scratch, and her horse is very hard to jump you really have to have your wits about you

Bri

Visit site
Plain brown tack for me - will admit to having numnahs in every colour of the rainbow because I've got an assortment I've built up since I was ten. Would never dream of going out in them though!!
Have always used white because I've always had greys or coloureds!