Nice vet bill no result !

starbar

Visit site
Blimey £80!!! It was probably Dectomax the vet injected. You can buy a bottle of it (about 4 doses) from your local farm store for £32ish, if you don't mind injecting it yourself :D

Visit site
Yes he has suffered on and off for ages, bites his leg too.HH member on here has sent me a long screed about dealing with them so that is the project for next weekend! Pig Oil and sulphur here we come.Ben down the frontline path with no improvement. Have been putting off bathing and treating etc because of the cold weather.

Libbyn1982

Visit site
How long ago was it done? I thought it ook a few days as the mites have to suck blood to then be killed or am I wrong?? Might still be sore for a while after?

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Yep, Dectomax needs two or three injections, your vet should have told you, it does not work on all horses with mites, I suggest you shave off all feathers and try other remedies first.
Pig oil and sulphur is for mid fever ie bacteria not mites.

Feathered

Visit site
No, pig oil and sulphur will prevent mites just won't get rid of them if they're already there.

So once you do manage to get rid of them, get on with the PO and S and that should stop them coming back.

Visit site
Pig oil etc wont get rid of mites?Thick question probably but If you only use it to prevent them how do you know it works as your horse might not ever have got them anyway ?

Last edited:

Syrah

Visit site
Neem oil has anti parasitic properties, might do the trick.

Mine had the injections back in June (3 of them) and I regularly use Neem oil mixed in with cocoa butter to keep the blighters away.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Try Cooper's Fly repellent Plus.
We had struggled for years with different vets' patent ideas on our retired cob's feather. then she got lice from a pony over the wall. We used CFRP and all stamping stopped (and hasn't returned).