Niggling lameness - feeling very down and frustrated

TWMD

Visit site
Just looking for a bit of sympathy/support really, and any stories of people with similar experiences to me.

About 2 years ago, my 11 yr old ISH went to the vets for a performance workup as he was struggling with suppleness and maintaining a consistent contact when ridden, but he showed no obvious signs of lameness. After a series of nerve blocks and x rays, we isolated the problem to his front feet and he was diagnosed with the early stages of navicular. The vet felt this couldn’t be the only cause so also x rayed his hocks and back. Hocks were fine but he was found to also have KS, with 4 touching DSPs.

He had the lig snip, steroid injections into his SI joint (where he had secondary pain) and steroid injections into the navicular bursa. I rehabbed him slowly and just over a year after surgery he was back out successfully eventing at BE90 and felt like a different horse. Yippee.

Since then, we have kept him sound through careful management and 6 monthly steroid injections for his feet. The KS surgery seems to have been a resounding success- my physio has found no back pain whatsoever, and has commented on how well he looks in his musculature. However he always shows some tightness though his shoulders, neck and poll.

This summer, he started showing the same symptoms as he had before the initial vet workup (very resistant in the contact and struggling with suppleness over his topline). Out came the vet who said he looked fine in front but found some v mild bilateral lameness after flexion testing his hocks. Vet put it down to concussion from the v. hard ground we had this year (even though I’d been extra careful not to run him on the hard) and injected his hocks with steroids which seemed to do the trick. He’s now had a couple of months of going well but has recently started to deteriorate again.

The vet is coming out early next week to do a full investigation again with a view to re-x raying his hocks and MRI-ing his feet. I’m feeling like we are exactly where we were 2 years ago. It’s so frustrating as the lameness is so subtle and intermittent, he is so well in himself, he looks great, his musculature is great, some days he goes beautifully and I think I’m going mad and it’s all in my head but then some days he’s so difficult to school I think there must be a problem somewhere. My trainer has sat on him and thinks it’s a schooling issue as he couldn’t feel any lameness/blocking in him but my gut feeling is there’s something causing him to be like this.

Any snippets of wisdom? Other than feet and hocks, are there any other avenues I should be exploring? He’s recently had teeth done, saddle checked and physio and no problems there. I so wish he could just talk!

TIA

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I presume he is shod?
If anything comes up in the feet this time round I'd start by taking shoes off and doing a rehab that way.
Sorry Ester this wasn't meant to be replying to you but for some reason its come on your reply.

Sometimes neck pain can cause subtle lameness. Can he flex his neck? Do you ever do carrot stretches and if so does he show more stiffness on one side than the other?

SpringArising

Visit site
This is going to be a very short, non informative post, sorry! But I think sometimes we're expecting too much. We expect our horses to be and look 100%, all of the time, when in reality, WE are never 100%. I have constant shoulder pain, niggles in my ankle from injury, intermittent pain in my knee etc. and our horses must have their own niggles.

On top of that your horse went through surgery for KS which is at best 50/50.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with all of the above any horse that shows changes in the navicular bone I would have the shoes off, and considering his got a few issues going on I don't think his ever going to be 100%, steroids are often very successful but they don't work for ever on some horses.

TWMD

Visit site
Sorry Ester this wasn't meant to be replying to you but for some reason its come on your reply.

Sometimes neck pain can cause subtle lameness. Can he flex his neck? Do you ever do carrot stretches and if so does he show more stiffness on one side than the other?

Thanks for your reply :) He is very flexible in his neck, we do regular carrot stretches and he can reach round to his hip and is even on both sides. It's the underside of his neck he gets sore, and through the thoracic sling, presumably because he bracing himself all the time.

TWMD

Visit site
I presume he is shod?
If anything comes up in the feet this time round I'd start by taking shoes off and doing a rehab that way.

Thanks Ester, yes he is shod with early breakover shoes and pads in the summer. Vet and farrier think his feet are great. I've done a fair bit of reading around barefoot rehab though and I think that's an avenue I'd like to try if anything shows up on the X rays/MRI.

Tori21

Visit site
totally understand how you are feeling, I retired my 20yr TB this year due to tendon damage, bought another 5yr old & now he isn't right and I am just starting with the vets to try and figure the problem, where I am fearing the worst.
Wish I hadn't bothered as now feel like its causing me nothing but stress & worry!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Did they x-ray his neck when they found the KS? If not, i'd look into his Neck 100%.. my gelding started not going forward, wouldn't work into the contact or in a outline. He looked 'funny' when trotted up but not really lame. We injected hocks, slightly better but not enough improvement. We were scratching our chins and then the vet said, neck! Lets x-ray it.

Turns out he has bad arthritis in one vertebra right at the bottom of his neck (hes only 9!) from injury as a youngster we think. Its restricting his spinal cord so he can't quite feel his back end and is why he feels funny and looks funny trotted up, also not wanting to work properly as it would hurt. The vet said this is very common in horses that are 'not quite right' or look slightly lame but can't put a finger on it.

If hes looked at the neck then ignore my comment, but specially with KS in the back i'd be thinking of the neck. Mind KS is a big thing and he'll have wear and tear on alot of joints from over compensating, its amazing how well hes doing thats great. My previous mare was PTS at 9 as she had the KS op, hocks injected, tildren, ulcer treatment and kept going lame or not right, she had so many other underling issues the insurance wouldn't cover it and was maxed out so had to make the decision. She was only ever ridden for a year of her life so can only think it was bred into her.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks Ester, yes he is shod with early breakover shoes and pads in the summer. Vet and farrier think his feet are great. I've done a fair bit of reading around barefoot rehab though and I think that's an avenue I'd like to try if anything shows up on the X rays/MRI.

Obviously it won't necessarily resolve anything else that might be going on but it's more likely to give him a better 'base' to have the rest of him on. shoes and pads sometimes do work for a time, then don't. My opinion is that it is usually the best option for navicular type/soft tissue diagnoses, it doesn't always bring them totally right but for many it's their best chance of being sounder. My now old boy had a lateral deviation in his left hind way before any other physical signs of spavin so I like to think it was likely helping too.