Nightmare buyers-help!

Polos

Visit site
Hi, having a bit of a nightmare with selling. Found buyers but they are honestly just so stressful I'm not sure if it worth it.

Deposit was put down at the viewing and he was vetted 3 days later. Horse easily passed with only a couple minor points (2 of which where made aware of at the time of viewing)

Buyer is getting increasingly more demanding and wants lessons on whim, to discuss the vet report when there isnt anything really to discuss and now they want his full vet history but they still can't tell me when they are going to pay for him

I don't even know what to do anyymore, I'm trying to be polite but I'm reching the end of my tether

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Official letter saying they complete their side of the deal and pay and collect by x date or he is back on the market

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would have told them that horse to be collected within 24 hrs of vetting.

However, I would now tell her payment is due in full & please arrange collection by end of the weekend. No wiggle room.
If no balance forthcoming, then you will consider horse is no longer wanted, that deposit is therefore forfeit & will find another purchaser.

What a nightmare buyer! Be firm xx

Antw23uk

Visit site
Come on they are mugging you off here!!! Tell them to step up, pay up and take horse or he goes back on the market. You may worry you are losing a buyer but to be honest if it carries on like this it sounds like they are going to stress you even more and still end up walking away!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You have your deposit, the horse passed the vet; either they pay the balance and collect within a specified time period or you put the horse back on the market.

benz

Visit site
The lessons thing is ridiculous but our insurance company asks for full vet history - I usually say it's unknown and just provide the vetting certificate, but that's possibly why they've asked.

TBH I'd be another one saying pay up or horse goes back on the market.

Polos

Visit site
She's now demanding she comes down on Saturday to discuss the points on the vetting report, 3 of these points were shown to her at the vetting so she has already seen them with her eyes (one of them is so minor-he got nicked with the clippers when he was clipped) . The last point was that he dished with his left hind leg (which you can see in the video of the viewing we sent to them)and the vet performed extra flexion tests which he passed with flying colours. Is this normal to demand to come and discuss and see these points even though she was already aware of them? I can't help feeling like she's trying to get us to reduce his price which I refuse to do as there's nothing wrong with him. He's passed every pre transport health check, every vet check at FEI shows and he regularly sees the osteo and structurally there isn't anything wrong with him at all.

She's said she's going to be very disappointed if she can't ride him again on Saturday but I'm not a riding school and no matter how many times I say once you've paid for him in full you can do what you like with him but she's refusing to listen. But now she keeps moaning saying we've got something to hide, we haven't got anything to hide at all and we've tried to comply with her but maybe if she hadn't bombarded me with messages all day and night (including 3am this morning) demanding this that and the other things will be different. It's got to the point where I've actually had to turn my phone off now ��

It's all starting to get a bit ridiculous now

Last edited:

little_critter

Visit site
Yes - sound to me like she wants to haggle. Point out that she knew about all these issues when she offered £x for him so there is no reason for the price to change, especially as he passed the vet.

be positive

Visit site
I would be wondering whether they actually have the money that maybe they were hoping something would show up at the vetting which would give them room to renegotiate, the fact that nothing showed gives them nothing to come back with a lower offer.
Give them a deadline and tell them you have got someone wanting to view on Sunday if he is still with you, if they cannot pick him up this weekend unless they have an extremely good reason put the ad back up somewhere to make them move, if they pop in to see you get a friend to call about "coming to view" if they think you are serious about letting others come they may get on with it.

ihatework

Visit site
What does she need to discuss with you in person on Saturday that she can't do over the phone today?
Is there any reason why you can email her over a printout of the horses clinical history, it takes the vets all of a minute to generate this.

I'd be tempted to send her the history today, and arrange a telephone call for shortly afterwards with the instruction you expect to receive cleared funds within a set amount of time or the horse goes back on the market.

I suppose the big question is how strong is your motivation to sell? Sometimes selling is hard work and you have to go the extra mile to seal the deal.

9tails

Visit site
Text messages at 3am?! I'd give her a firm deadline for payment and collection, no more conversations or riding lessons. If money isn't forthcoming, re-advertise and tell her to whistle for the deposit.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you have the vet history send it. However tell her if the funds aren't received today you'll be showing him to viewers this weekend and keeping their deposit. There's nothing to discuss she either wants the horse or not and you aren't going to knock money off it for the things which came up in the vetting.

Damnation

Visit site
Agree with everyone else.

Get the Vet history, send it to them and I would send a message as below:

"Dear X,

I enclose the vet history for X as per your request.

For confirmation, the points raised in the vetting we made aware to you upon viewing when the purchase price was agreed and a deposit left under those terms. I deem that the terms we agreed have been met by myself.

I now request the balance of the sale of £X to be in my account by close of business on (insert date here) and transport arranged for collection by (insert date here). The horse may not be collected without cleared funds.

(Insert Bank Account Details)

If these terms have not been met, I will accept this as your withdrawal from the sale and no further transactions will be made.

In these circumstances I will retain the deposit and the horse will be put back onto the open market. I will deem the matter to be satisfied and closed.

Kind Regards,

X"

AdorableAlice

Visit site
They don't have the cash.

Your horse is not sold would be my thoughts, and remember if you let her ride him and something happens to the horse you are looking at an injured horse and if she comes off she will be instructing a no win no fee solicitor.

I would be making one simple call and tell them to bring their lorry and cash by 5pm today. If nothing happens readvertise the horse tonight.

Last edited:

MDB

Visit site
'I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss the horse tomorrow. However, as I am sure you are aware, there will be no negotiation on the final price. I hope therefore that we will be able to complete on the sale tomorrow when we meet as I have now another potential buyer waiting to hear whether the horse is sold or not. Kind regards'

Kaylum

Visit site
They don't have the cash.

Your horse is not sold would be my thoughts, and remember if you let her ride him and something happens to the horse you are looking at an injured horse and if she comes off she will be instructing a no win no fee solicitor.

I would be making one simple call and tell them to bring their lorry and cash by 5pm today. If nothing happens readvertise the horse tonight.

This ^^^^ call their bluff. Why does she want a lesson on him she should have already tired him out and a deposit has secured this. She will be bringing her instructor with her no doubt who will say well he is stiff etc etc so they can bid you down.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ring and tell her you require the horse to be picked up immediately or you will showing him to buyers over the weekend .
They are either idiots or they are going to try to get the price down .

smja

Visit site
Agree with everyone else.

Get the Vet history, send it to them and I would send a message as below:

"Dear X,

I enclose the vet history for X as per your request.

For confirmation, the points raised in the vetting we made aware to you upon viewing when the purchase price was agreed and a deposit left under those terms. I deem that the terms we agreed have been met by myself.

I now request the balance of the sale of £X to be in my account by close of business on (insert date here) and transport arranged for collection by (insert date here). The horse may not be collected without cleared funds.

(Insert Bank Account Details)

If these terms have not been met, I will accept this as your withdrawal from the sale and no further transactions will be made.

In these circumstances I will retain the deposit and the horse will be put back onto the open market. I will deem the matter to be satisfied and closed.

Kind Regards,

X"

This. She tried the horse, put down a deposit, had it vetted. Next step is payment, then collection. Not another ride.

WelshD

Visit site
How many times have they ridden the horse. if only once I would maybe let them ride again when they visit on Saturday but make it clear if they pull out at any stage for whatever reason they'll forfeit the deposit

To give them the benefit of the doubt it could be that they are hoping to stall until Christmas bonus time / Christmas pay day which for many will be next Friday, if you suspect they don't have the money now but will soon then I would cut to the chase and be blunt about it perhaps you'd be willing to hold till next Friday in exchange for them upping the deposit - you might have nothing to lose if the horse wont sell before Christmas anyway

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I would be starting to think buyer is going to be a nightmare once they take the horse, every time they ride and have a niggle they will be on the phone, "did he do this with you"
Agree with damnation, put a deadline on paying and collection.
Buyers like that do your head in...and are nearly always trouble for months to come!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
we've tried to comply with her but maybe if she hadn't bombarded me with messages all day and night (including 3am this morning)

Oh dear, think you've got a right psycho on your hands there....... ringing people up at 3 a.m. is NOT funny, and not natural IMO. I wouldn't want her to have any horse of mine TBH.

If she liked the horse enough to have it vetted, then that was the time surely to ask if she could have another ride. To be fair to the buyer, I as a potential purchaser myself, always like to have two rides on separate occasions before I am ready to commit myself - that's just me, I'm an inexperienced buyer and very cautious! - and am always very grateful for this opportunity, but wouldn't dream of "demanding" it from anyone.

If the horse has passed the vetting then surely this buyer needs to cough up with the cash PDQ? You may be missing another sale OP, and it isn't fair that she's messing you around like this.

The classic phrase "If you're not going to ***** then get off the pot" comes to mind............

GirlFriday

Visit site
TBH the fact that OP thinks dishing showed on a video doesn't mean the buyer (would know how to) spot(ted) it before vet points it out. And horse did not 'pass vet' horse 'passed vet with three minor issues' so I can understand that purchaser might want vet history (to see how serious the three issues have been in the past/work out how much they are likely to cost in future now they will be excluded from insurance as they are on the vetting).

Extra ride is a bit off but I've asked for an extra ride (with owner's instructor) when viewing a share horse let alone one to buy. (I took the share and it was fab, but needed the extra pair of eyes/another meeting).

If you want the horse gone you're unlikely to achieve that faster at this time in December without seriously under-pricing or selling it as a misguided xmas present. So, I'd say 'yes to convo/viewing with instructor on x date. If go ahead after that then pay/collect by y date'. End of the day they were serious enough to pay for a deposit AND a vetting so if you get all impatient now you could well be loosing yourself a serious buyer (albeit one with 3am xmas parties/nerves about buying?!?) with little chance of another too soon.

If on y date you don't have payment/horse loaded then you keep the deposit. So, you do OK really as you essentially have the deposit for the work of a viewing/vetting/answering a few calls. The buyer walks away with nothing.

Or if you are having second thoughts about the home just return the deposit in full immediately and pull out yourself.

A horse is a huge financial and time commitment that can last decades. I get that people want to be careful which one they pick!

millitiger

Visit site
Id email vet record immediately.

Tell her she can come on Saturday to discuss points- as long as she brings the cash and horse box too.

She can ride the horse after she has handed over cash and signed receipt.

If she doesn't agree with all of the above, horse is back on the market and deposit forfeited.
Although tbh, she sounds like the sort of person who may Coke back to bite you in the bum in 3 months time and want a refund for a ridiculous reason.

Caracarrie

Visit site
I suspect the buyer is looking for a way to pay less. I bet they now offer the price less a sum which will cover the vetting and a bit to spare. And it also wouldn't surprise me if the horse is back up for sale not too long down the line - with a full veterinary history to act as a sweetener in the advert and a higher price.