Nightmare horse! What should I do?

legaldancer

Visit site
I recently posted on the above 16.2 WB who lives at my yard alongside my two, one of which is a12.2 mare.
WB has always been a bit of a nuisance, jumping & breaking fences between fields. After a couple of incidents where he chased & seriously looked as though he might even kill the pony mare, he's been seperated from the others. With other combinations he just plays or chases & is top of the pile in pecking order.
Pony has only been here since June & so now his breaking out could have very serious consequences. It was tedious before, but I put up with it for the extra help & owner has always repaired fence.
I don't want to fall out with his owner who lives opposite & is also my son's teacher, but I am at my wits end with her horse.
Today he's jumped into a piece of the field I was resting & totally wrecked the tape & posts. I've put him in without hay till evening stables. Loathed to let him out tomorrow but think it would make matters worse.
Do you think I should ask her to leave, or do you have any suggestions? I live on the premises, but am going on holiday next month & daren't leave him unattended. Hobbles?!
mad.gif

princessleah

New User
Visit site
poor you, it's very hard being that she is your son's teacher too ! Is she approachable in that you could chat with her and tell her how it is. We had a livery for 2 years who did things that made my blood curl and it made me depressed and i avoided doing things on the yard so don't let this carry on much longer.......talk it thru, gd luck !

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
If she won't pay for the higher fencing how about getting the long electric fence post and putting them in about 3 feet from your fencing and electrifying them. If you had electric fencing that came of the mains all the better as it would be stronger. Might just keep him away from your fences so he doesn't break them and b another deterrant if he was going to jump them.

checkmate1

Visit site
I really think you need to speak to her, she does realise he escapes dosen't she? If you are always putting him back she may not know how bad the situation has become. Extra tall fence posts (she buys) and I sew electic tape into my horses rugs, so if she touches the fence she gets a shock, as she wouldn't feel it with rug on. She escaped all the time last year, it was So embarrasing, and my YO would often put her back and I don't think she told me the whole truth about how many times she used to get out as she knew how upset I would be (She was a Fab YO!) x

legaldancer

Visit site
We have had quite a chat this week & she's fully aware of the situation. If there's damage I always tell her so that she's aware & its fixed. After he broke through post & rail with electric rope along the top a week ago I'm afraid I lost my temper as I really feel that its down to the horse not being worked enough, considering his temperament. She disagrees as apparently he's always jumped out, in work or not. I was particularly upset as I'd had to run and get the pony mare out of the field he'd jumped in to before he got to her. I had to stand in the gap he'd made to stop him jumping back to get to her before help arrived. As you can imagine, my blood was up a bit following that episode!
An electric fence has now been erected in front of the P&R but she hasn't electrified it yet. (I'll do it). Now he's finding something else to jump, & he was ridden this morning.
I like the suggestion about sewing the electric tape to the rugs, not sure she'll do it though. I really would put on hobbles if the injury of another horse was threatened, but she won't entertain this idea.