Nightmare to catch

Junosdad

New User
Visit site
Hi all. I need some advice my wife’s section d is a nightmare to catch and bring in. We’ve had him since he was born he’s now 12 and he’s been like this for at least 8 years or so and it’s driving us round the bend, we can’t keep going chasing him round fields and we have lost loaners due to it. We’ve tried all the usual stuff like taking a feed bucket to scaring him away and turning our backs till he comes back. Any advice welcome.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've had two that behaved like this for a while. One was scared because he'd had treatment for sarcoids (not under my control). I spent about two hours just walking after him in his field, once I caught him I gave him a treat and then immediately let him go. Repeated a few times that day and he was never bad again after that. The other was awful for quite a long time until I discovered if he could see a carrot in my hand he'd stand perfectly. My current mare will be bad about being caught if there has been something the previous day that she didn't enjoy doing, otherwise she is easy. Is it possible that yours is coming in to something he doesn't like?

Snicklefritz

Visit site
Have you tried training him to the sound of a cowbell? Ring it at dinner time inside the barn right before you feed him when he is in his stall. Keep doing this until he associates the bell with food.

turn him out in a small paddock and try the same thing for a few weeks.

Then repeat with him out in his usual field.

I did this with mine who also used to not want to come in. Now they come running!!

Junosdad

New User
Visit site
I've had two that behaved like this for a while. One was scared because he'd had treatment for sarcoids (not under my control). I spent about two hours just walking after him in his field, once I caught him I gave him a treat and then immediately let him go. Repeated a few times that day and he was never bad again after that. The other was awful for quite a long time until I discovered if he could see a carrot in my hand he'd stand perfectly. My current mare will be bad about being caught if there has been something the previous day that she didn't enjoy doing, otherwise she is easy. Is it possible that yours is coming in to something he doesn't like?
Only sometimes does he get brought in to school or ride, most of the time he’s ridden before he goes out. But I don’t ride him or school him. I just put him out or bring him in and feed him and he makes me walk around after him.

Junosdad

New User
Visit site
Have you tried training him to the sound of a cowbell? Ring it at dinner time inside the barn right before you feed him when he is in his stall. Keep doing this until he associates the bell with food.

turn him out in a small paddock and try the same thing for a few weeks.

Then repeat with him out in his usual field.

I did this with mine who also used to not want to come in. Now they come running!!
We like the idea of a bell, we might have to try this. Thanks.

TPO

Visit site
I had one that was tricky to catch a few years ago.

Firstly I turned out in a field safe headcollar with a bit of plaited twine from the bottom ring. That meant when I was close enough to pet and scratch I could get a hold of the twine. Often that pressure on the fieldsafe made her give up and accept that she was caught. Then I could put the halter on to lead her in.

Second what really fixed the issue was going to a Richard Maxwell demo. His circle work and drawing the horse in fixed my issues.

Previously I'd spent up on 5hrs walking her down. I didn't have an arena or a safe way to make a small working space. RM does work on a rope and gets their quarters moving.

There was a massive improvement after one session and the issue was solved after two or three. It was 12yrs ago so I'm a little hazy.

Richard Maxwell has three good books and an online video library of his training sessions. He travels to do 1-2-1s and had (I don't know what the situ is since covid) clinics up and down the UK.

His books seem to have sky rocketed in price but sometimes you can find them cheaper on amazon, book depository, world of books or Abe books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Youn...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximize-Y...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlock-You...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-4

Other books that might help:

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...MInt-ln6D68gIViO7tCh17SwQcEAQYASABEgIihfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ways-Impro...s=100+ways+susan+mcbane&qid=1631477809&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Ways-P...&keywords=susan+mcbane&qid=1631477894&sr=8-16

Junosdad

New User
Visit site
I had one that was tricky to catch a few years ago.

Firstly I turned out in a field safe headcollar with a bit of plaited twine from the bottom ring. That meant when I was close enough to pet and scratch I could get a hold of the twine. Often that pressure on the fieldsafe made her give up and accept that she was caught. Then I could put the halter on to lead her in.

Second what really fixed the issue was going to a Richard Maxwell demo. His circle work and drawing the horse in fixed my issues.

Previously I'd spent up on 5hrs walking her down. I didn't have an arena or a safe way to make a small working space. RM does work on a rope and gets their quarters moving.

There was a massive improvement after one session and the issue was solved after two or three. It was 12yrs ago so I'm a little hazy.

Richard Maxwell has three good books and an online video library of his training sessions. He travels to do 1-2-1s and had (I don't know what the situ is since covid) clinics up and down the UK.

His books seem to have sky rocketed in price but sometimes you can find them cheaper on amazon, book depository, world of books or Abe books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Youn...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximize-Y...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlock-You...id=1631477533&sprefix=Richard+Maxwell+&sr=8-4

Other books that might help:

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...MInt-ln6D68gIViO7tCh17SwQcEAQYASABEgIihfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ways-Impro...s=100+ways+susan+mcbane&qid=1631477809&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Ways-P...&keywords=susan+mcbane&qid=1631477894&sr=8-16
That’s brilliant thank you. I’ll have a watch of the vids and try and get hold of the books.

Reactions: TPO

oldie48

Visit site
I've had a couple who were very tricky to catch I've used the "making them work" technique. Basically, the horse has to trot or preferably canter if he won't get caught, I had mine in a 7 acre paddock a smaller one is easier, I just got the others in and ran around with a lunge whip. It took nearly an hour the first time until the horse stopped, licked and chewed and stood quietly when I caught him, any movement away and I'd send the horse away, no pussy footing around. It cured both of them and if on any occasion they went to dodge away when I went to get them in, they got sent away immediately with the end of the lead rope . They soon got the message that it was easier to come in.

Reactions: TPO

Junosdad

New User
Visit site
I've had a couple who were very tricky to catch I've used the "making them work" technique. Basically, the horse has to trot or preferably canter if he won't get caught, I had mine in a 7 acre paddock a smaller one is easier, I just got the others in and ran around with a lunge whip. It took nearly an hour the first time until the horse stopped, licked and chewed and stood quietly when I caught him, any movement away and I'd send the horse away, no pussy footing around. It cured both of them and if on any occasion they went to dodge away when I went to get them in, they got sent away immediately with the end of the lead rope . They soon got the message that it was easier to come in.
We’ve spent hours trying that one. He never tires.

Winters100

Visit site
When I bought one of mine the groom of the seller told me that he was lovely, but "impossible" to catch. For the first week or so I kept him in the small paddock adjacent to the field where I turn out, which anyway made sense so he could get to know the others over the fence to start off. Whenever I was close to the paddock (many times during the day) I went in, fed a treat and then left. After some days of this I started bringing him in, giving a small feed and then turning out again. He is obviously an optimist, because, despite the fact that he now rarely gets anything for just being caught, he cannot resist coming to me to check if I perhaps have something for him.

I would also say that it may be worth looking at what happens when you do catch him. Is it always for work, or to be put in the box, which perhaps he does not like? If so perhaps you need to change things so he sees being caught as a positive thing? For me repetition was the key, so you need to be long enough at the yard, and with enough patience, to repeat the exercise many times. In this case having him turned out in a smaller area will be a great help, at least to start.

Good luck!

TPO

Visit site
I would also say that it may be worth looking at what happens when you do catch him. Is it always for work, or to be put in the box, which perhaps he does not like? If so perhaps you need to change things so he sees being caught as a positive thing? For me repetition was the key, so you need to be long enough at the yard, and with enough patience, to repeat the exercise many times.

This. I forgot to say in my original post but I would catch my mare and give her a scratch/treat then let her go again. Or catch and take her for a wee walk around the field and release, or bring in to feed then put straight back out.

Id just hang out in the field and let her come to me. I owned 3 at the time and the other two would always come over but she would hang back just out of catching distance at times. After doing the Richard Maxwell exercise and some catching practice she would March straight over and demand attention.

Parrotperson

Visit site
can I just ask.....is it only you that can't catch him? Or is it your wife as well?

I'd put a leather head collar on (or one that will break easily if he gets caught up on something) with a piece of twine or v. short rope too. Then when you get close enough quietly take a hold of it and then clip on a longer rope. Also would divide paddock into smaller areas if you can and swap him about in them so you only have a small area to "chase" around in.

Boulty

Visit site
I would second leaving a fieldsafe headcollar on to make your life easier (or as long as field isn't totally bald & he's not needing to put weight on a grazing muzzle may help as he's likely to then be a bit hungrier for things like bucket feeds / carrots etc plus will likely be keen to come up to have it taken off). Other than that I've found quietly walking them down / aiming to keep blocking them & turning them around seems to work better than actively encouraging them to canter / gallop as no way are you going to be fast enough on foot to keep them constantly moving at that speed so they're going to keep being rewarded with periods of grazing after buggering off at speed.

Oh & after having a pony who at his worst could take 2-3 hours to catch & sometimes lived feral for days at a time I tend to reward everything with treats for being caught even though current pony tends to be good to catch

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Was going to ask if it was just you having the problem only because one of my horses won't be caught by just anyone and men won't get near him, I left him in a few weeks back for the farrier as he had moved his shoe, farrier couldn't even get a head collar on him in the stable and his known him 10 years.

Alibear

Visit site
My paddock fence is electric, so I have one spare electric fence pole and extra tape with gate handles on each end, next to the gate. Use pole for a corner, hook handles on the permanent electric fence and voila instant coral. I'm care full to just walk her into it, keep the energy low, and it's worked every time. It's rarely needed now, and I do leave her leather headcollar on for turn out too.

Hallo2012

Visit site
super randomly we had this issue with kids sec C and since starting him on a teaspoon of limestone powder twice a day by fluke it now only happens once every 2/3 months rather than 2/3 times a week.

not sure if settled tummy (no ulcer symptoms) or if he was calcium deficient so its helped calm him(he's always 100% saint to ride) but its been a game changer and its cheap to try????

teddypops

Visit site
My sec D has always been a terror to catch. I have spent hours and hours trying to sort it. If she is out on a small bare field then she is easier because she wants to come in to eat. Leaving a head collar on makes no difference because I can’t actually get anywhere near her to clip a rope on anyway. I have to herd her gradually into a corner, then she lets me catch her, again this is easier in a small paddock. I sometimes just have to open the gate and she walks into her stable without me. I have never worked out why she is so difficult because she gets caught for different reasons, not just to work and apart from the catching issue, she is the best and most obliging pony I have ever had!