Nightmare with booster jabs

pottamus

Visit site
My boy had his boosters today, which he has always been fine with in the past. The last time they just did him in the bum and he did not even notice. But the vet that came today was a man (usually women) and he had hurt his leg so was limping gingerly on it...so what you say...well because of this he approached my boy in a very coy manner rather than confidently walking up to him to say hello. So my boy was a bit suspicious and when the vet went to go to his bum my horse jumped a bit...so the vet shot backwards...which was a bit of an over reaction.
Anyway to cut a long story short my boy got all upset and jumpy and the more the vet faffed around trying to put the needle in his bum and then his neck the more upset my boy got and started dashing abvout his stable. The vet got it done in the end after 5 mins but it was an unpleasant experience for all concerned and the vet was suggesting a twitch on only the second attempt!!!
blush.gif

I appreciate that the vet is there to do a job etc and he should not have to worry about an upset horse...but I could have done it myself in 2 seconds with none of the hassle!
So I am worried now about this experience and whether it was just a bad day or a combination of male vet, sheepish vet, faffing around and a general lack of confidence on the vets behalf rubbing my boy up the wrong way. He would not even let him listen to his heart afterwards then.
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Mental note to self to make sure you don't have this vet again.

There is nothing worse than a vet that's afraid of horses!!

eekmon

Visit site
Yes think I agree with Amymay! Remember to request your usual vet next time! God if he can't cope with a jab imagine if you had to have him out for an emergancy
shocked.gif
If your that peed off ring them up and explain, I would imagine they wouldn't want a prat like that treating their patients!!
crazy.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Thanks, thought I was going mad for a minute...it's not that I am peed off as such just worried that he will be bad next time and also he will be having his first pulse rate check at an endurance event on Sunday by a male vet...so now worried about him being upset and jumpy for him too.
frown.gif

Think I might ask a couple of confident males to come and practice on him beforehand to ease my worries! Blast! It could be such a set back
mad.gif
crazy.gif

miss_bird

Visit site
That is the one thing i dont miss about england (miss loads of other things) my horse has always hated vets and jabs. When i moved to Ireland and asked the vet to come out to microship my foal and flu and tet jab all the horse, he did the microchip and dna but gave me the flu and tet jabs to do myself, well i nearly died of fright, he showed me one and from then on i do them all myself.
So long story short now when i need booster i collect from vets and my mare is fab as there is only me there and no stranger with a needle and a syringe. She now stands as good as good in just a headcoller and lead rope, before i needed her bridle and a twitch.