Nightshifts Vs Dayshifts

kitofkat19

Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to get a horse one day but I currently work part-time. My partner and I also live at my parent's house and we are ready to move out, therefore, I need to get a full-time job. I want to be able to keep as much time as possible to own a horse as well (Ideally on DIY) and I can't seem to come to the conclusion on whether going nightshifts or doing midday shifts would be better;

Job 1: 7 am - 3 pm, Mon - Fri
Job 2: 1 Week 6:00 am - 2 pm, 2 Week 10:00 /11 am - 6:30 pm, Mon - Fri (Overtime available)
Job 3: 11am - 7pm , Mon - Fri
Job 4: 6:00 am - 6:30 pm, Sat - Sun (Overtime available)
Job 5: Stay at current! 6:00 am - 9:45 am, Mon - Fri (Overtime available)

I currently don't own any private transport such as a car or motorbike (planning on getting one at some point, prob a bike first). I don't mind taking public transport and it's pretty easy getting about on buses where I live.

Please can I hear some of your routines with your night/day shifts? What do you think would be more ideal out of my job choices?

Caitlinr27

Visit site
Hi there:)
Option one would be the one I go for for sure. Horses thrive off a routine and set shifts would help you to establish that. I also would enjoy the fact that even in the depths of winter you would still have a little daylight left to squeeze in a ride! I work in a Michelin restaurant and I work 4 days a week with 7.50-11am and 5-finish. This works really well for me because I enjoy as much daylight with my horses as possible. And if I want to bring them in after work due to bad weather etc I can do that after work as I don’t have to worry about being in livery. In they are in we will turnout and muck out around 6am and bring in just before work around 4.30pm. I have the luxury of not much of a commute though as horses are on private yard in the village and work is 2 miles away. With option one, I also like the stability of a decent amount of hours. As with other options,overtime may not always be plentiful and lord knows how expensive our lifestyle is with horses. I also think 7am is not too early that public transport wouldn’t be available. Hope this helps ?

Equi

Visit site
None of those jobs seem suitable to me for a winter DIY horse unless you are lucky and get a horse who doesn't mind being turned out very early alone (and a yard where you turning out a horse so early doesn't upset the others) or left out very late alone at night. If you are lucky you will get a suitable stable buddy who will bring in/turnout but it can't be asked of all the time.

kitofkat19

Visit site
None of those jobs seem suitable to me for a winter DIY horse unless you are lucky and get a horse who doesn't mind being turned out very early alone (and a yard where you turning out a horse so early doesn't upset the others) or left out very late alone at night. If you are lucky you will get a suitable stable buddy who will bring in/turnout but it can't be asked of all the time.

Would going Part time livery for the winter months be more beneficial if I was unfortunate enough to not find a yard that minds me coming up early or my horse gets stressed out being alone?

What hours would you suggest?

Cloball

Visit site
None of those are night shifts? Night shifts can be great for horses but they are rubbish for your health long term and you have to be a certain sort of person who finds sleep easy I think. Even then they can be quite isolating.

You might find the early starts difficult with public transport but it depends where you live. Early and Sunday work around here would be impossible but bus/train.

What happens if you don't get the one you want? Is it worth applying for all if you need the hours and see which ones you get offered or do you have offers on all?

kitofkat19

Visit site
None of those are night shifts? Night shifts can be great for horses but they are rubbish for your health long term and you have to be a certain sort of person who finds sleep easy I think. Even then they can be quite isolating.

You might find the early starts difficult with public transport but it depends where you live. Early and Sunday work around here would be impossible but bus/train.

What happens if you don't get the one you want? Is it worth applying for all if you need the hours and see which ones you get offered or do you have offers on all?

The ones that I've mentioned are all the in same location as I work in a hospital just these are therefore im pretty much 99.9% sure I would be accepted for any of these positions.

Theres a few nights shifts ive found but when talking to my family they tell me that either to job will be too difficult for me and some positions don't state their hours. Here's the ones that do;

Job 6: 10pm - 8am, 4 nights on, 4 nights off, closes to dream yard
Job 7: Various shifts, 6am - 2pm, 2pm - 10pm, 10pm - 6am. Mon - Fri
Job 8: no hours stated besides Nights but closes to dream yard
Job 9: 10pm - 6am, Sun - Thurs and close-ish to dream yard

At my current job and the jobs stated on my OG post it would take me an 1hr by bus to get to my dream yard however I don't mind the commute but I will most likely wait until I have a car or bike so its a lot easier to travel

fetlock

Visit site
Not sure if you've passed your driving test or not but if not, I would focus on doing that first and then saving to get a car next as once you have the horse you may find all your money goes there. Having your own transport would make life much easier, whichever shift you're on.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would get the job that would give you most opportunity for progression as horse keeping is expensive. I would then get driving lessons as a priority. I would spend a while settling into your new home as it sounds like it is your first place with a partner.

For me, all of that would come first, before buying a horse.

I had horses before but stopped while I sorted out working life and my first house. Because of that, we are now secure.

Cloball

Visit site
I know some people love doing nights but for me it took too long to 'recover' in between. I did prefer doing the shorter shifts a bit like you've mentioned 11pm to 8am was the best (9pm to 10am were a killer) as you could get enough sleep in and also see friends in the evening. My colleague at the time has 2 horses but they were both on full livery otherwise I think it would have been to tiring. It really saps you energy more than you'd think.

Ratface

Visit site
I had a job which was a mix of 12 hour waking nights, 12 hour days and a week off between the two. It was OK. The employers were vile, though, and I left after a year.
Previous jobs were notionally days only, but often stretched into 24hrs, due to events during the days required trips to Court/placing vulnerable service users in places of safety etc.
Horses always on full livery. Fortunately, above jobs were well paid. Horse still on full livery, paid for by hefty pension from the above!