Nissan Navara or other 4x4 reviews circa 2006 Plate

CBFan

Visit site
I'm looking at buying a tow car capable of towing at least 2.5tonnes preferably nearer 3 , got a budget of around about £5k. Will only be used for weekends and towing as will have a little run-around for commute.

Have seen a navara which appears in good nick, however I have worried myself by reading reviews - some of which may not apply! Anyone got any experience of them of a similar age? This one has done 90,000 miles so not a huge amount for a diesel...

Another option is the Hyundai terracan - have seen an 05 plate with a lowish milage but I understand these are prone to fuel pump failures :O

or any other options?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I have a 2004 Navara of similar mileage to the one you've seen. I love it, but I am aware that they sometimes eat their own engines, so I try to treat it with a little bit more respect than I might otherwise. The only issue it has had in the nearly 3 years I have had it was a leak in the power steering fluid system which looked like a bad casting.

The long wheelbase means that as a 4x4 they are not brilliant, but otherwise, after I fitted decent tyres I've had no problems. The only aspect that makes me cry is the fuel consumption. If you actually use the throttle it is rather thirsty, but when the turbo is active the performance is quite reasonable.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We have a 54 plate Navara, apparently the engines go bang at 70,000, we are past that and keeping our fingers crossed!! We like it, it's comfortable, tows okay too, small negatives are nowhere inside to stow stuff (pathetic door pockets!) and the turning circle of a frigate...

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
make sure you dont get one with a Renault Engine in - they are great at just blowing up!!! Well total engine failure!

Friend has a navara, 2 new engines later shes got rid, other friend has x-trail, same renault engine just gave up, 57 plate 55k miles on the clock, engine in peices and Nissan wont help at all the fix!

CBFan

Visit site
make sure you dont get one with a Renault Engine in - they are great at just blowing up!!! Well total engine failure!

Friend has a navara, 2 new engines later shes got rid, other friend has x-trail, same renault engine just gave up, 57 plate 55k miles on the clock, engine in peices and Nissan wont help at all the fix!

Didn't realise they had a Renault engine in them??!! Lol! This just goes from bad to worse!! Really struggling with my quest for a decent tow car now... :(

Annagain

Visit site
I'm biased as my OH is a Land Rover nut and it's rubbing off on me, but if it's for towing only and you have another car for normal driving, get a Defender. Might need to be a bit older for that money but there's no better car for towing if you don't need to use it for every day.

JillA

Visit site
Bit older than your search and not a pick up but I have a LWB 54 plate Terrano and for me it is the ideal car/offroader/towing vehicle. The 3ltr engine is capable of towing 3 tonnes and doesn't even break sweat at that, or 80mph down the motorway. Mine was a bit of a lemon, from a dealer who didn't seem to understand the concept of warranty, so needed new ABS sensors as well as other relatively minor stuff, and it eats glow plugs for some reason. But I would have a newer one, if they still made them, tomorrow. I'm looking for something similar but more like 5 years old and there just doesn't seem to be much other than Land Rovers.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Didn't realise they had a Renault engine in them??!! Lol! This just goes from bad to worse!! Really struggling with my quest for a decent tow car now... :(

Yeah they are notorious for just going kaput! Friend with the X-Trail couldnt get any money back of Nissan at all, it had only been there for a sevice 3 months prior to death, there had been a recall to change a bearing of some sort, Nissan said it was okay carry on your merry ways, then it litrally just died, friend has independent qualified mechanic look at it, there was bits of engine in the oil sump that had obviously been there for a while and peices of the engine missing. It had had 6 monthly services with Nissan itself so they should have picked it up, in the end shes had to just sell the shell of her X-Trail which i think she paid over £20k for - she got £3 k for the shell!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr...#safe=active&q=nissan+renault+engine+failure+

Google full of dead vechicals lol!

CBFan

Visit site
Yeah they are notorious for just going kaput! Friend with the X-Trail couldnt get any money back of Nissan at all, it had only been there for a sevice 3 months prior to death, there had been a recall to change a bearing of some sort, Nissan said it was okay carry on your merry ways, then it litrally just died, friend has independent qualified mechanic look at it, there was bits of engine in the oil sump that had obviously been there for a while and peices of the engine missing. It had had 6 monthly services with Nissan itself so they should have picked it up, in the end shes had to just sell the shell of her X-Trail which i think she paid over £20k for - she got £3 k for the shell!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr...#safe=active&q=nissan+renault+engine+failure+

Google full of dead vechicals lol!

Yeah, I have read a lot of the reviews... just wondered if there were any better reviews of them! clearly not many :( ... Will have a look at the terranos....

pennyturner

Visit site
I second the Terrano. Mine's a 1996 that had an easy life before I got it (rust is what kills them, so buy on physical condition). 180k on the clock and will still happily keep up with the traffic on the motorway (i.e. steady 90). Once the 4x4's engaged you could tow a house with it.
It is a bit 'agricultural' sounding but proving very trustworthy.

CBFan

Visit site
I second the Terrano. Mine's a 1996 that had an easy life before I got it (rust is what kills them, so buy on physical condition). 180k on the clock and will still happily keep up with the traffic on the motorway (i.e. steady 90). Once the 4x4's engaged you could tow a house with it.
It is a bit 'agricultural' sounding but proving very trustworthy.

Thanks for the tip! I have just seen one advertised that is 50 miles away but has a low milage for it's year... looks pretty tidy inside and out so it would just be a case of checking underneath... It's a 2005 reg with only 50,000 on the clock....

CBFan

Visit site
I'm biased as my OH is a Land Rover nut and it's rubbing off on me, but if it's for towing only and you have another car for normal driving, get a Defender. Might need to be a bit older for that money but there's no better car for towing if you don't need to use it for every day.

After your comment yesterday I have gone away and looked into LR Discoveries a little more and think this is the way I'm heading... everything else just either isn't up to the job (tow capacity) or is riddled with potential problems. Have spotted a nice tidy looking 04 plate with only 121,000 on the clock which is within my price range so am thinking of taking a look this weekend. is there anything your OH would advise I look out for?

Trishh

Visit site
I have a 56 Navara, have had it since 2009 and LOVE it!! I can't fault it, had no problems with it since the day I bought it, if they are so unreliable why do you see so many around?? Do they all have renault engines??

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
We have a similar age navara & just love it. It's a great work horse, toes well & I drive it to work everyday. Agreed it doesn't have the smallest turning circle but it is a pick up truck after all, not a Nissan micra! :p of the other similar age/style trucks I would say it has the nicest interior too, quite luxurious- not truck like at all as you might expect :)

Dizzle

Visit site
We had a brand new 12 plate Navara. It was awful, very unreliable, spent more time in a garage than any other car I have ever known and unless the back was laden with stuff it was a bloody awful ride. BUT I loved it, it had reversing cameras and I loved chugging about in it. But even I had to admit that the sensible thing was to let it go.

ETA: We had gear box issues and random failing to start issues. I think we kept it less than 12 months.

Marydoll

Visit site
Ive a 56 plate Navara and love it, ive had it from new and its got over 90,000 on the clock now, it thrives on neglect . The only thing i dont like is the turning circle is huge, stick my equitrek on the back and its like a circus wagon !!

Kat

Visit site
The 2006 model has the new engine rather than the one renowned for going bang at 70k miles. We love ours (a new shape 55 plate) and find it is actually quite fuel efficient for its size. It is a bu99er to park though!

Asha

Visit site
I tow with a navara similar age, and similar mileage. It's been fab, never had an issue with it. We've had it about 7 years now I think, and it's never let me down. So handy, can chuck anything and averything in the back, never get stuck. Brilliant work horse. Had a new clutch this year, but that's all we've had to do.��

popsdosh

Visit site
Thank you! I think I'm going to keep my options open but am looking at some discos tomorrow so we'll see...

We do a lot of towing both horses and commercial used to have discoveries ,now use Navaras they are far superior tow vwhicles as the wheelbase is longer hence they are more stable. They dont break down nearly as often . I have a 3yo one at the moment done 95k miles just replaced an indicator bulb ,which is sum total of repairs.

dixie

Visit site
I'll second the Terranos. I've had 3, short wheel and long wheel bases and all were great for towing and everyday use. Easily tows 510 and two horses around steep Devon hills. Would buy another if they still made them.
Now have a Jeep Cherokee 2009 model which is fab too, much would be over budget.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
Ive a 56 plate Navara and love it, ive had it from new and its got over 90,000 on the clock now, it thrives on neglect . The only thing i dont like is the turning circle is huge, stick my equitrek on the back and its like a circus wagon !!

I have the pathfinder with an equitrek on the back :D :D I suppose I don't know any different
I also park it easier (with the reverse camera) than I do my daughter's Corsa!

lucemoose

Visit site
I love my 05 plate. Yes the engine had to be replaced but it was a proper workhorse and I've had him 8 years now! Tows brilliantly, but handled much better after having a carry boy cover on- without the cover it felt too light behind, same if the back is empty it handles better with a load in the back.

Annagain

Visit site
After your comment yesterday I have gone away and looked into LR Discoveries a little more and think this is the way I'm heading... everything else just either isn't up to the job (tow capacity) or is riddled with potential problems. Have spotted a nice tidy looking 04 plate with only 121,000 on the clock which is within my price range so am thinking of taking a look this weekend. is there anything your OH would advise I look out for?

Sorry only just seen this. My knowledge is more on the Defender side of things but from what I've heard OH say about discos the Discovery 2s have issues with the suspension airbags. Might be worth checking if they've had any probalems with it. I'll check what else you should look for with him when he wakes up (he's been on nights).

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
At the end of the day each car will have problems, some more than others!

My friend has since bought a Ford Ranger and they seem to be quite popular, or the Toyota Hilux - our YO has since swapped her Defenders which shes has for the last 30 years for a Hilux. It all comes down to budget as well.

9tails

Visit site
Let me throw a Kia Sorento into the mix. 2.8ton capacity, tow vehicle of the year for a number of years, you can pick one up for £5k in your age bracket, good on fuel, got a great turning circle and a big boot for your tack.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you all... I have decided it is all very much the luck of the draw with whatever you buy but went to look at a discovery Td5 at the weekend. It's in good nick, drives nicely, got a recent service and MOT so I put a deposit down on it :) I quite like it as it's not quite as long as some of the pickups with pretty good all round visibility... Thanks for all your help and recommendations! :)