NLP for Jumping Confidence?

Coblover63

Visit site
Hi, I wondered if anyone has had NLP for some kind of riding confidence boost? In all honesty I'm a bit of a doubter of "therapies" but I have had a bit of a jumping phobia for many years and I now have the most amazing new little cob mare so I'd like to make a start at conquering my fears.

Not sure if reading a book would help (any recommendations???) or whether a consulation with someone would be better. I don't have a clue how to start to find someone suitable.

Has anyone got an encouraging story to share?

GirlFriday

Visit site
Erm, jumping is (presumably, I don't think you work with horses?) optional. If you don't like it you don't have to do it. If you want to, do it.

Spend the 20quid you'd have spent on a book down the pub celebrating your first schooling session and the first 50quid you'd have spent on a session celebrating your first little clear round?

[Or, more sensibly, on an instructor?]

Or spend all 70quid on a really gorgeous set of hi-viz etc and go hacking instead. :)

Seriously. If you can 'choose' to go and buy a book/book a session/practice exercises etc you can 'choose' to pop a cross pole or two. Sure, there are people with various real issues but there are also a lot of people who just have difficulty understanding that they have free will. Unless of course you don't believe in that, which is fine.

Last edited:

Coblover63

Visit site
Jumping is something I would like to do. I had a nasty fall as a teenager through jumping and shortly afterwards sold my horse to get married and have children. I ended up being away from then for 21 years (coming back to horse ownership in 2005) so the nerves over jumping have festered and built up out of proportion in my head. Just "doing it" is easier said than done these days. I have lessons which have helped a little but I am still scared. I love going on fun rides and would love to pop a few fences but my fears hold me back. I am confident in all other areas (handling babies, backing, solo hacking, galloping in open spaces etc) so would love to crack this.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you were a proficient jumper and had a sudden phobia after a fall then yes, I would say go for some NLP. BUT, you have been out of practice for quite a while, so the money could be best spent on a lesson or two with a sympathetic trainer. Some trainers even have NLP training, or confidence coaching experience.

If you start where you are comfortable and work in small increments to where you need to be, learning all the technical stuff as well as building in muscle memory so it can feel natural, with someone helping to make each step the right size and to help keep you safe, then I think this would be better than reading a book.

If you did prefer a NLP consultation, then I would recommend Jo Cooper.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Second jo cooper, went on 2 nlp day course about 5 years ago. I am massive cynic about most things. It was interesting but didn't expect it to work as scared to jump a small cross pole. The course made me realise I didn't trust my horse to jump, I wasn't scared of jumping just falling off if she refused. Worked on that & fear lessened. Don't get me wrong I turn the corner to a bigger fence sometimes and go ooh, I kick on so she doesn't try & duck out & we jump lovely. Jo does phone consultations