No Brakes When Schooling!!!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Ok, so i rode my horse in the school last night. She was good as gold except for when I try to steady her. I have absolutely NO brakes!! She doesnt get strong when we go out galloping in stubble field etc its really just when we are in the school. I worry when there are other riding in there as she just gets faster and faster. I have tried half halting but she ignores this. Trying to get her to actually come to a halt from walk is also difficult but sometimes i want her to walk from trot and she goes into canter and I cant do a thing about it. Shes in a french link with a flash. Please can you give me some suggestions? My arms are killing me & I worry so much about her having a sore mouth as it really is difficult not to pull when your on a horse that wont stop:(

ETA: She has all her checks done on a regular basis and no probs. Her teeth are due to be done in a few months. She is not fed any hard feed, only haylage and grass;)

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Don't let her go too fast. When you ask for trot sit down keep her between your hand and seat and don't let her out of a jog, then deepen your seat and squeeze your hands and leg so she walks into your contact. You need to do lots of transitions like this, and then build up to transitions within the paces- and don't let her get too fast and rushed. That way you will engage her back end and she won't be able to misbehave!

I would recommnend an instructor who has spent some time on the continent to explain what is happening. If you are near Aberdeen I can recommend a fantastic dressage instructor to help you!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Don't let her go too fast. When you ask for trot sit down keep her between your hand and seat and don't let her out of a jog, then deepen your seat and squeeze your hands and leg so she walks into your contact. You need to do lots of transitions like this, and then build up to transitions within the paces- and don't let her get too fast and rushed. That way you will engage her back end and she won't be able to misbehave!

I would recommnend an instructor who has spent some time on the continent to explain what is happening. If you are near Aberdeen I can recommend a fantastic dressage instructor to help you!

Im abotu an hour and a half drive from aberdeen, can you pm me the name of the instructor?