no christmas presents this year...

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
..but how do i tell the family?

ok, so yesterday i bought a new saddle cause the old one was pinching. and it cost my whole months pay packet. now, because i'm changing jobs in a few weeks i don't get paid again until end of january - i get a distinct feeling the family wont be impressed, any ideas?

any ideas, advice greatly appreciated. x

Alibear

Visit site
I may be mad about my horse but I wouldn't do that.

Credit card for presents or take the new saddle back and get a refund, look for something cheeper or just plain don't ride for a while.

Sorry but that's my honest opinion. You could even ask for donations towards a new saddle as your christmas present.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Do what I did for my neice and nephew one year. I gave them a couple of rides each on my horse. They loved it and it saved me a few pounds. I let them help me muck out as well.
grin.gif

Helenabbey

Visit site
You could ride bareback.
I rarely buy my nana a present that she can unwrap. She is an adventurer at the age of 82 so I write in her card 'IOU a trip to...' or 'a meal at' and then take her once the bustle of christmas dies down (or you could do it when you got paid) and have a good time.
If you want to do things a bit cheaper I was in ASDA yesterday and they have some lovely gifty things in at very reasonable prices.

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
hmm, that's got me thinking. homemade sweets - now thats tempting but i may end up eating them all.
theresa - i'd love to know how you got your niece and nephew to think that mucking out was a gift from you, you're one talented person!
a couple of rides - yeah i could that.
and if i didn't ride him, he'd climb the walls and kill everone so that's not really the best option.
cheers guys.

samp

Visit site
Either use credit card, or be honest now and say you'd rather get them decent presents in the January sales - it is very frustrating when you buy something at full price for Christmas and then in the New Year they are like half price. My OH Birthday is after Xmas so i'm gonna take him to the sales - may not be talkign by end of day though as I hate shopping

TGM

Visit site
Why don't you give them 'promises' instead of presents. Basically a promise to provide certain services eg gardening, baby-sitting, ironing, cleaning etc. Make some fancy vouchers on the computer with details of the promises.

sevenoceans

Visit site
I am in similar suitation as you are, I only work all summer (about 8 months) and nothing in winter! therefore no money! i do find temp jobs but not enough though.. i always make sure my horse is taken care of (by myself), every year when i have change (i always have lots!!) i put it in the pot everytime and left it untouched whole 10 months, it fills up to end of last month, I had enough to provide nice but not over the top pressies for my M & D, Brother, Nana, and 2 my best friends. I get big box of chocs for my yard on my tesco vouchers!!
I wouldn't use Credit card as you will get deeper in to debts (i learnt that i am still paying back after 4 years!!!!)

Can you get temp jobs?
even it's mucking out for other people?
make your own hamper using things that your family likes, buy as you go shopping a few items each time?
Make Biscuits?

vicm2509

Visit site
Can you not just tell them how skint you are and ask them not to get you anything this year, or just agree on a maximum of £10 per person and ask them to do the same for you?

Im a bit skint this year and ive told my family well in advance not to expect anything more that £15 each and ive asked them to do the same, that way they wont be dissapointed. And DONT get yourself into debt just so you can spend loads on presents, im sure you family would rather go without than see you up to your eyes in debt, its just not worth it.

Marymary

Visit site
My family would have wanted me to get the saddle as our whole lives revolve around the horses so they would not be bothered about presents at all, its all so mateiralistic these days instead of it being time to spend with your family. I only by 3 presents one for my OH and for my parents . Its also my birthday at the end of November but I wont be having any pressies as we just bought a new saddle too !

I would ask for no presents for yourself - after all you have a fab new saddle!! and explain that due to job issues etc you wont be able to get them presents...at least not until after Xmas they should understand this and at least you all have your health etc and can enjoy the Xmas holidays together there are some things more important than a bit of wrapping paper and a soon to be forgotten or mislaid gift!!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Last year I was poor so I went and painted some mugs for my family at a ceramic painting place and filled them with penny sweets. Christmas cost £50 on my credit card and everyone loved the fact that I gave them something that had a bit of thought behind it.

horsegirl

Visit site
Never mind Christmas prezzies how are you going to pay your bills/buy food for you & horse? Petrol? etc?

I'm afraid you may have to dip into your savings.

Capriole

Visit site
i recently gave my little nephew some bubble wrap (free from b+q)and he was ecstatic, was going round saying happy christmas to everyone and popping the bubbles - one cheap little boy
smile.gif

Safina

Visit site
* make shortbread/fudge and wrap in pretty cellophane and ribbon

* flavour good olive oil with chilli/lemon/herbs/coloured peppercorns and decant into pretty bottles

* plant spring bulbs into cute vases (which you can decorate yourself)

* give vouchers/promises to do something/help with something

* explain your predicament to your family and ask them for no pressies or small token gifts you'd be happy accepting

People have to understand that it really is the thought that counts and christmas is not about receiving tonnes of cruddy pressies that you would not think twice about buying during the rest of the year (gift packs and novelty items like jelly bean crapping reindeer and the like).