No events to score this weekend, so I actually got OUT SJ & XC

sportsmansB

Visit site
With a break in our region for Tattersalls international next week, we had no events for me to score so I finally got my own horse out for the first proper time this year outside of clinics.
We went SJ on Sat to the local unaff and did 2 rounds at 90cm. The first was a bit grim as he was quite excited to be out, which he didn't demonstrate in the warm up at all, he saved that surprise for when we got into the ring and he began spooking, tanking off and generally exhibiting behaviour unbecoming for a 13yo schoolmaster. We went in again and he was lovely. Have no idea if this link will work:
https://scontent.flhr6-1.fna.fbcdn....=b09a95a6656abd4f7af070e96c9a2684&oe=5D97B7E9

Then I took some sort of brave pill on Sunday morning and announced on phone to trainer friend that I wished to go cross country schooling. Now. (this was 8.45 am on a very windy drizzly and generally unpleasant morning). Said trainer knows this is my least favourite thing in the world and bless him he organised it all for 11.00 in case I changed my mind...
So we went. My horse was excellent and I learnt a lot about how I need to ride him. He didn't try and buck me off which is great and we jumped everything we were told to and a few more. No videos of this as poor trainer I think too scared to take his eyes off me. I hate cross country schooling, I really need the adrenaline to go at the solid fences and my last mare got very frustrated with the stop and go nature of it so it was no fun for either of us. This guy is a bit lazy at heart so he had zero issues with stop and go.

So all good and one step closer to an event over the next month or so :)

Hope everyone else had a good time too!

Wheels

Visit site
Lovely rhythm in your SJ round, nicely done. I really like the meadows as a venue.

Where did you go XC schooling and who is your patient sounding instructor? (I need a jumping coach myself - PM if you like)

Looking forward to your eventing comp write up in a few weeks :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Aw thanks Wheels :)

The Meadows is great isn't it, and luckily there was so much else on that the classes were a bit smaller than usual when there is no event on :)

I went to Dukes for the cross country, it was fab - the ground was perfect (for a supposed eventer, I hate going down hills in case it is slippy especially schooling with no studs- but it was ace) there are loads of fences from small logs up to boxes in and out of the water and skinnies etc.

My super patient instructor is Trevor Smith. He has had the misfortune of being saddled with me for years now, and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. For an Olympic rider, he manages to keep it all really simple. He teaches everyone from pony club (@Fiona 's F for one!) right up with the same humour and basic correct riding.

Wheels

Visit site
Aw thanks Wheels :)

The Meadows is great isn't it, and luckily there was so much else on that the classes were a bit smaller than usual when there is no event on :)

I went to Dukes for the cross country, it was fab - the ground was perfect (for a supposed eventer, I hate going down hills in case it is slippy especially schooling with no studs- but it was ace) there are loads of fences from small logs up to boxes in and out of the water and skinnies etc.

My super patient instructor is Trevor Smith. He has had the misfortune of being saddled with me for years now, and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. For an Olympic rider, he manages to keep it all really simple. He teaches everyone from pony club (@Fiona 's F for one!) right up with the same humour and basic correct riding.

Brilliant, thanks

I haven't been to dukes but it is on my list - their jumps look great in the pics

Fiona

Visit site
I love his SJ, so steady and rhythmical... What a lovely boy x

The ground was so slippy at Lusks on Saturday with the overnight rain, so I'm glad you got better conditions on Sunday... All weather take offs too 😊😊

Wheels - Fergus came on so so much with 4 months of weekly Trevor lessons over the winter, it was truly brilliant..

Fiona