NO FEED! Please advise

regalrendezvous

Visit site
I just found out today that in june / july (possibly august) there will be NO HAY or chaff at all.

It has not rained properly here in New South Wales (Australia) for months and the guy i buy my horses feed off warned me to be prepared and stock up. I am running around like a mad thing trying to find cheap but good quality hay and stock up. Hay in sydney is at $25.00 a bale (a small one at that!) I am so worried. If i stock up on hay and chaff i will be able to feed my two. But i don't think i could just watch other peoples horses starve.

What else would you suppliment your horse with as there is no grass? I know copra (coconut meal) is filling and fattening. But what is good for extra nutrients. I am very worried at the moment. It's not an exageration, where i keep my horses most of the paddocks are almost 100% sand. Just under 12 months ago they were all grassy.

How would you store a large amount of hay (approx 35 + bales) and chaff?

Also whilst you are wathcing the rain running down your windows wishing you were riding please wish it ur way!

Elmere

Visit site
A balancer and chaff will give them a nice balanced diet, you'd better make sure no-one knows you've got hay otherwise they'll be pinching it lol, bet you could make a bit of profit off it if you got more than you needed
wink.gif

Patches

Visit site
I think I need to buy a nice boat and set sail for Down Under with some hay to sell!

If there is going to be a widespread shortage, doesn't the country buy in hay from elsewhere? I assume hay, like all things, can be exported/imported in bulk?

regalrendezvous

Visit site
No chaff either...

I haven't heard of those cubes. But i will talk to the feed guy about them. There is talk of imports as once every three days a farmer kills himself. Livestock such as sheep is being shot as it's not worth turning them into meat. It's a very depressing situation.

Elmere

Visit site
Just any feed with a high amount of fibre, look on the ingredients and it will tell you how much, do you have dengie, what feeds do you have?

airedale

Visit site
definitely high fibre

bran from the milling process - as I cannot see australia having no bread

also you can get bran from Rice husks - sold over here as EquiJewel - form of pellet for keeping condition on

sugar beet