No Heartbeat at day 27

David1411

Visit site
Hi folks, just got my mare scanned this morning but didn’t show a heartbeat, the embryo is still visible (the vet didn’t really know what to say - could neither confirm nor deny if it was still growing, but doesn’t give much hope- he doesn’t really do much equine work)she was covered 27days ago, scanned at day 16 and proved infoal, mare is very healthy and has a good healthy April foal with her.
Anyone come across this before ?

TheMule

Visit site
How good is your vet?
Probably worth another scan next week to have another look and short cycle if you want to try again

Reactions: JJS

Four Seasons

Visit site
Great news. A heartbeat sometimes won't be clear until day 28 at least, even the most experienced vet will struggle with trying to find that early on. Best to scan for a heartbeat (in my experience) is 32 days +.

sport horse

Visit site
You can understand the frustation of stallion owners who send semen to mare owners who do not use a proper equine breeding vet. Total waste of money and time. I am not a stallion owner!!

TigerTail

Visit site
My sister is a v good farm vet, primarily cattle. She was astonished the equine vet could see the heart beat at 14 days, the earliest they can see calves is 28 days and even then it can be hit and miss so it really shows the difference between vet knowledge between species and the importance of an equine vet for horses!