No judgement please advice sought

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
As title suggests so if you don’t have anything constructive to the question please don’t be rude :)

Ok so my horse is on medication he is 26(soon to be 27 in March) I have been buying his direct from my vets but now the price has soared and Id be saving £22 ( the increased the prices last week) buying online this isn't including the diesel I spend going 20miles to the surgery and back to get he meds every month.

They have now hit me with if I don’t bug them from them they will charge me £15.30 per item for a prescription (he gets two items) and instead of his 6monthly teeth check and annual Mot he will have to be blood tested every six months in addition to the above. His Cushings isn’t going to go away and he is not on the recommended dose as he can’t tolerate it so with vets blessing I give him what he can tolerate and what helps him be himself, so these changes seem to be in light of them not getting money off me monthly. The blood tests may tell me his levels but based on his last levels he cannot tolerate the dose recommended so serve no purpose really.

The cost is nearly £100 per month. It started at £33 per month a year ago. They have just hiked the prices up again and being honest my budget can’t sustain that. I live alone on a single income. On the dose he is getting he is happy, bouncing out a hack and as cheeky as usual. He is a good weight and is eating fab.

I am beginning to feel very anxious and stuck, I need to save money and if I can’t then I’m going to be forced to either removed the medication or put him down. The £22 I save is basically my food bill for a week for myself. I cannot make net cuts elsewhere hebisnkn the cheapest nicest yard I can find for his needs and I don’t smoke or drink so nothing I can cut back on. I feel like the vets are backing me into a corner here just to get £100 per month off of me.

AFB

Visit site
Have you tried speaking to other vet practices? I know of one locally that are very similar and out to scrape every last penny you have out of you - they're not all like that.

I understand your pain having been in a similar situation budget wise in the past, it's a horrible feeling - and mine wasn't medicated so I didn't have the additional stress. Hope you find a resolution.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Phone another vets and see if you can get a better deal elsewhere, either by them price matching or a cheaper prescription, you can be registered with more than one practice. However all vets will require a check every 6 months, there seems to be some grey area as to whether this is a look over or has to be a blood test (have had two different vets ask for different things, and in fact the first vet left mine unchecked asides from yearly vaccinations for 2 years, so very vet dependent).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would change my vet - or tell the current practice that if they persist in charging you for things that you don't need, and extortionately for things that you do, that you will do so. Have you spoken to the senior partner?

elliejhb

Visit site
If it's prascend have a little shop around, Viovet are 99p per tablet if you have a regular delivery and Animed is 98p. Very similar in price, but for Danilon Viovet is about 18p more expensive per sachet- which I found out after submitting my prescription to them (pays to shop around!).
The prescription that they write will it be for the dose they say your boy should be on or the dose you give him? If it is the dose they recommend depending on what you're giving him it may give you a couple of months extra.

I've read somewhere that Prascend is coming of patent this year, hopefully that'll cause a price decrease!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So the prescription charge seems reasonable.
The change to blood testing 6 monthly less so, it may be best pracitce but if so why have they not been doing it/he cannot take any more than he is having then it is pointless. I would take them to task over this and speak to alternative practices.

WelshD

Visit site
ok being practical have you sat down and worked out whether you will still be saving money? if the MOT check is done every six months you'll be paying for the vet to come anyway so ask them what the charge is for the blood test (ask them to include lab fees etc so you get a proper idea)

Also ask (if not done already) how long a prescription covers you for, is it also six months so the £30.60 is a cost only once every six months

I think I would be disinclined to be backed in to a corner - I get that they cant prescribe for an animal not under their care but would question whether the blood test is really essential given that the pony only has what he can tolerate and the dose is not going to be amended and would maybe broach that with them - faced with you taking the pony off meds completely and absolutely NO money for them they may find a bit of wiggle room

ihatework

Visit site
There are a couple of things here.
The prescription charge is quite normal, you will probably encounter that where ever you go. It is not so normal to encounter Vets who insist on a 6 monthly blood test - it might be a clinical gold standard but it is not mandated - so I think your vets are being very unfair on that front.

Firstly I’d call up a few different local practices and find out their various charges.
For instance when I was treating a cushings horse and moved to a new area & Vets the practice I moved to price matched the internet.

If however the overall general cost is becoming unsustainable for you, then all I would say is you have a 27yo Horse with a progressively worsening condition. At this stage he will be on borrowed time and there would be no shame in calling it a day while he is happy and well loved and before the inevitable down turn comes. Especially if you are struggling to put food on the table.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
ok being practical have you sat down and worked out whether you will still be saving money? if the MOT check is done every six months you'll be paying for the vet to come anyway so ask them what the charge is for the blood test (ask them to include lab fees etc so you get a proper idea)

Also ask (if not done already) how long a prescription covers you for, is it also six months so the £30.60 is a cost only once every six months

I think I would be disinclined to be backed in to a corner - I get that they cant prescribe for an animal not under their care but would question whether the blood test is really essential given that the pony only has what he can tolerate and the dose is not going to be amended and would maybe broach that with them - faced with you taking the pony off meds completely and absolutely NO money for them they may find a bit of wiggle room

Thank you everyone. Ive honestly been in tears over this. There is another practice in my area however I had a disagreement with the practice owner a number of years ago and I cannot register with them. The rest are small animal practices unfortunately.

Welsh D He is already checked every six months, they come look at him and have a look in his mouth so that cost I already pay out just they have never blood tested him. They took bloods at his annual MoT. He goes to the vets to be weighed and checked over annually usually before winter, but they didn’t run them as they felt he looked great.

So the two checks are already budgeted for, just not the £75 everytime they want to blood test him for a condition that isn’t going to go away.

lottiepony

Visit site
At the vets I use they told me the lab fees are now free for cushings - apparently the vets get a unique number for the client and then it's free. And that includes bloods taken to monitor not just the initial test, might be worth asking about it as it must be a nationwide thing surely?

meleeka

Visit site
Can you cut down on the checks? Mine has a dentist every 10 months (his suggestion) and a blood test for Cushings annually or 6 monthly. I think mine may say the blood test has to be 6 monthly, but as I understand it the Animal has to be seen every six months, not necessarily tested. She doesn’t have any other health check which seems unecessary if you know your horse well. My vets are competitively priced for Prascend but I’ve saved fortune on my dogs meds from getting a prescription (vet charges £1.80 per tablet, online it’s 80P). They ought to give you 6 months on a prescription in any case, so if you have a blood test the prescription should last 6 months until the next one. You would still save money I think.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I sympathise, I have a 25 year old who has been on Prascend for 12 years, current dosage is on 3 a day. I don't think the prescription charge you are being quoted is unreasonable, and vets do have to see the horse every 6 months before prescribing. I used to have ours tested every 6 months but as vet and I have decided we will not be increasing her dose (she is only 11.2) even if levels do go up will only be doing it once a year from now on. Have you actually had a chat to your vets explaining your thoughts on blood tests, you may find they will be reasonable. You may also find if you have a test done, that the Cushings is well under control and you could maybe lower dose slightly.

limestonelil

Visit site
A generalised reply from me based on personal experiences. Talk to the senior partner and explain costings. I got an acceptable result for different problem but similar rationale. Apologies if you have already done this. (I couldn't accept the costs that the office lady came up with, and she was surprised I even questioned it)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
which practice are you with BB? PM me if you like, just I dont think you are that far from me as I remember your thread about riding at Chaterherault. There are some very expensive equine practices in the area and some cheaper mixed practices.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I would also recommend looking at a new practice. I used to get 6 months worth of prascend at a time and they didn't stipulate specific intervals for blood tests.

MissTyc

Visit site
I echo the advice to have a frank discussion with the vets. My vet seems totally unapproachable, but when my friend's laminitic, Cushings mare was looking at the end of the line for cost reasons (very similar story to yours), the tune changes after she explained the situation carefully. They came to a deal relating to the needed x-rays, and then to a long-term arrangement for the meds (involving, for example, seeing the mare as a "fly by" rather than full examination each time).

DD

Visit site
speak tour vet can you do a shared visit with another local horse owner? i know its hard but I'd also consider pts. The horse is very old has no future and you are struggling for money.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
speak tour vet can you do a shared visit with another local horse owner? i know its hard but I'd also consider pts. The horse is very old has no future and you are struggling for money.

I will post this video in response to your suggestion. Yes he has no future but he owes me nothing and there is still life in the old fool yet. If I have to remove the medications from him due to this issue then I may as well put him down. So I am aware of the options open to me, hence why I am upset at the thought of losing my best friend of nearly 17 years. I am not annoyed at you but once you see the video you will understand my dilemma in wanting the best for my old boy :)

https://youtu.be/Rs-1slPEGQg

I am going to have to arrange a meeting with my vets I think. Even with the prescription costs I will be saving about £100 every six months. I budgeted for meds costing £60 however this has just rose and rose. I won’t be having the blood tests as he hates needles and it’s a fight to get the bloods anyway also he is pretty reactive to the meds, I find I can lower them in summer and I have to up them come autumn which is fine.

I think I’ll speak to my vets then I will speak to other vets if I can find any, I know he has to be examined every six months for the meds, we already do that but adding extra charges just seems unfair when we haven’t been doing that anyway.

mytwofriends

Visit site
What a cheeky old man! I totally empathise with you and can see why you don’t want to let him go yet (and your commentary is priceless!)

I echo the other posters who recommend speaking in person (or on the phone) to someone senior at your vet practice. Explain everything in black and white and hopefully they’ll understand your predicament. Good luck with your old boy!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
At the vets I use they told me the lab fees are now free for cushings - apparently the vets get a unique number for the client and then it's free. And that includes bloods taken to monitor not just the initial test, might be worth asking about it as it must be a nationwide thing surely?

Unfortunately this only applies once per horse so once the horse is being treated , no more free fees. The lab tests are only part of the cost though, the charge for taking and sending the blood isn't free.
I have a 29yo on Prascend, I haven't had him tested this year (been tested several times before) as I know him well and can tell straight away if something is different. Fortunately he still only needs a low dose, if he was needing a lot more I would have to say goodbye I'm afraid.

lottiepony

Visit site
Unfortunately this only applies once per horse so once the horse is being treated , no more free fees. The lab tests are only part of the cost though, the charge for taking and sending the blood isn't free.
I have a 29yo on Prascend, I haven't had him tested this year (been tested several times before) as I know him well and can tell straight away if something is different. Fortunately he still only needs a low dose, if he was needing a lot more I would have to say goodbye I'm afraid.

My boys initial lab fees were free as they were offering the free testing (back in 2016) but has since had his bloods tested (summer '17)and had no lab fee, he's got to be tested again and the vet said that the lab fee would be free,literally spoke to him yesterday, yes there's still what the vets charges but every little helps!

oldie48

Visit site
I hope you get a result by talking to your vet about this. My old boy was on prascend for the last 6 years of his life, I paid for a scrip every 6 months and they saw him annually. I didn't do blood tests after the first year and my vet didn't ask me to. I got his med from viovet who will let you have the prascend monthly so you don't have to pay out the whole amount straightaway and when my old boy was pts i still had a scrip outstanding rather than a box of tabs i couldn't use. I use a large equine practice/hospital and found them very sympathetic and helpful but I spoke direct to my regular vet rather than the reception staff. Good luck.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If you have been a long term client of your vet's practice then there is absolutely no reason why they should be charging you anything for a prescription. My horse was on Pergolide/Prascent for nearly 12 years as never once did they charge me for a prescription. Initially we used Pergolide as there was no Prascend and then when prascend was licensed used Prascend from a reputable on line pharmacy and my vets never ever charged me for a prescription.

meleeka

Visit site
If you have been a long term client of your vet's practice then there is absolutely no reason why they should be charging you anything for a prescription. My horse was on Pergolide/Prascent for nearly 12 years as never once did they charge me for a prescription. Initially we used Pergolide as there was no Prascend and then when prascend was licensed used Prascend from a reputable on line pharmacy and my vets never ever charged me for a prescription.

I think all vets charge a prescription these days if you are buying elsewhere, which is much more common than it used to be. I’ve been with my vets for over 20 years but still need to pay unless I buy from them.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Nothing to add from me.

Does anyone get the Danilon from Viovet? is it the same as the vets? I need to get my girl a few sachets for her arthritis.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I spoke to the senior equine vet at my practice, who I can't stand and will only have on the yard in an emergency, and did a deal when our 2nd horse needed Prascend. We had already been given a discount almost automatically when the first one was diagnosed but the discount was increased. I did thank him very nicely (through gritted teeth, lol)

Peter7917

Visit site
This is mega naughty (probably mildly illegal) but I have done it....

If you get a prescription from your vet, you are meant to only use said prescription once. However if you upload it onto lots of different online pharmacies then you can get more of the medication than you are actually allowed. I do it for prescription only wormers. The six month prescription allows for 2 tablets but I order from three different pharmacies and get 6!!