No judgement please advice sought

Sandstone1

Visit site
This is mega naughty (probably mildly illegal) but I have done it....

If you get a prescription from your vet, you are meant to only use said prescription once. However if you upload it onto lots of different online pharmacies then you can get more of the medication than you are actually allowed. I do it for prescription only wormers. The six month prescription allows for 2 tablets but I order from three different pharmacies and get 6!!

It's more than mildly illegal I'm afraid and why my vets print on their prescriptions that the supplier must have the hardcopy of the prescription before supplying the medication.

Peter7917

Visit site
It's more than mildly illegal I'm afraid and why my vets print on their prescriptions that the supplier must have the hardcopy of the prescription before supplying the medication.

Lots of very naughty online pharmacy companies then. All the ones I have used just allow me to upload a photo of the prescription. Nobody died though :)

Sandstone1

Visit site
Lots of very naughty online pharmacy companies then. All the ones I have used just allow me to upload a photo of the prescription. Nobody died though :)

I understand why people do it but my vet told me that they had a lot of people doing this which is why they now print a large warning on the bottom of all prescriptions warning on line pharmacies that they must have the hard copy.
I think that they can be prosecuted for supplying the medication without it.
I know some companies do allow you to upload the prescription but vets are getting wise to it.

HashRouge

Visit site

If you get a prescription from your vet, you are meant to only use said prescription once. However if you upload it onto lots of different online pharmacies then you can get more of the medication than you are actually allowed. I do it for prescription only wormers. The six month prescription allows for 2 tablets but I order from three different pharmacies and get 6!!

We've had two lots of meds from the same prescription before from the same site...I still don't entirely understand how! About 5 1/2 months after we'd ordered 160 tablets, we got an email saying our prescription would be running out soon and did we want to order more, so my Mum just ordered 160 more tablets. Never occurred to either of us this might not be okay! It was one of the big name websites.

Sandstone1

Visit site
We've had two lots of meds from the same prescription before from the same site...I still don't entirely understand how! About 5 1/2 months after we'd ordered 160 tablets, we got an email saying our prescription would be running out soon and did we want to order more, so my Mum just ordered 160 more tablets. Never occurred to either of us this might not be okay! It was one of the big name websites.

It depends what's on the prescription and if it's a repeat of not. It's definitely illegal to use the same prescription for different sites and as said why my vet now insists that the hard copy is sent.
The pharmacy should really ring the vets to check.

meleeka

Visit site

I hadn’t thought of that. That’s possbly why my vets have changed theirs so you have to send the original off now. There’s a paragraph in bold that says only the original should be accepted (although in theory I could just photocopy it in colour as it’s only an A4 computer printout and signed.

Beausmate

Visit site
Unfortunately this only applies once per horse so once the horse is being treated , no more free fees. The lab tests are only part of the cost though, the charge for taking and sending the blood isn't free.
I have a 29yo on Prascend, I haven't had him tested this year (been tested several times before) as I know him well and can tell straight away if something is different. Fortunately he still only needs a low dose, if he was needing a lot more I would have to say goodbye I'm afraid.

There is no lab fee for horses already on Prascend during the normal free period. They are charged at the usual rate otherwise, same as for a first test.

Or at least that is what I have found. I have both tested in the autumn and possibly again in December, depending on the results. No fees for the autumn testing, £28.50 inc. VAT, excluding vet visit for the December test.

rara007

Visit site
Ask for a meeting or phone appointment with one of the management of your current vets. If they can't come to something you can afford then shop around but I would be surprised if they were not prepared to make themselves as affordable as other local places.

Snitch

Visit site

Is it likely through an audit trail that you will at some point be discovered and could your vet ‘strike you off’ for diddling them?
I am not criticising, merely wondering how long it will be before you get caught out.

Last edited:

Snitch

Visit site
And to the OP, I have no advice to add but I do agree with suggestions to negotiate with a senior partner at your practice as I know people who have done this, with a good outcome. I don’t envy you your situation and I wish you well.

claret09

Visit site
god. I feel so sorry for you. so many vets seem to think that we are all made of money. I was wondering if there is any charity that would be able to help or have you tried or even thought of crowd funding? I don't know if that helps but it might be an idea. I hope you can find a solution. don't beat yourself up we arean't all made of money but we all do want the best for our horses. lots of love

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I hope that you manage to find a solution. It really annoys me when these vets do this. My mare has just been diagnosed with Cushings - I had to push for a test, he didn't think she was. I ended up charged nearly £100 for the test then the Prascend they left was nearly £100 more than it was online. I'd already got over £1000 on my bill from arthritis treatments! I know they've got to make money, but they go too far. We have a different vet for our small animals who only adds a little onto his medicine prices and delivers it himself, having a quick check of the dog himself. He also points things are cheaper online, but I'm happy to pay a bit more to him as he's so fair. I used to have the dogs at the same practice as the horses but moved them because everything always seemed so expensive. It's a tough one when they're treating your beloved animal though!

eahotson

Visit site
Whatever happens, always remember that your horse has had an owner that has loved him deeply and given him the very best life and care that she can.Many many horses never get that.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Thank you everyone for responding with such good advice and understanding :)

I worked myself into a bit of a state last night, I tend to do this these days as my PTSD makes everything seem worse and takes you to the darker places.

However I woke up this morning and decided that will heck th vets do this to me, I will not be held to ransom for my horses medication as this is surely against the veterinary oath. So I will be approaching them on the terms that they can see him every six months as previously agreed, he will however not be blood tested as they will be providing the prescription so really no different to current circumstances except I won’t be buying from them. They haven’t blood tested him in over a year so I don’t see the need to do that when we have been adjusting his meds based on his response.

I am trying my best for him and for me, I owe him at least that and he owes me nothing at all :)

Casey76

Visit site
I’d hazard a guess in that the regular blood tests are also for liver and kidney function, which is recommended for all animals on long term treatment, not only with pergolide.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you everyone for responding with such good advice and understanding :)

I worked myself into a bit of a state last night, I tend to do this these days as my PTSD makes everything seem worse and takes you to the darker places.

However I woke up this morning and decided that will heck th vets do this to me, I will not be held to ransom for my horses medication as this is surely against the veterinary oath. So I will be approaching them on the terms that they can see him every six months as previously agreed, he will however not be blood tested as they will be providing the prescription so really no different to current circumstances except I won’t be buying from them. They haven’t blood tested him in over a year so I don’t see the need to do that when we have been adjusting his meds based on his response.

I am trying my best for him and for me, I owe him at least that and he owes me nothing at all :)

Good for you! Let us know how you get on.

Nudibranch

Visit site
None of mine had regular liver/kidney function included so I would hazard a guess that the OPs vets don't include it either. I imagine OP would have mentioned it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
No the test was ACTH levels only the second time. The first time a full panel was done but it only showed Cushings related muscle breakdown and a little anaemic but the levels were very high. Liver and kidney function along with WBC etc were alll witching normal range. The second after 6 weeks on the Prascend was worse but he can not tolerate the dose that was ordered so we have been dosing in how he looks and feels.

I will update this once I have spoken to the vet but I think the outcome will be I get him looked at the end of Jan and get a 6month prescription from them then.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmmaB

Visit site
My horse has been on prascend for 3 or 4 years now. The only blood tests he's ever had were the original ones to see how much it bought his levels down. They have recommended getting his bloods done again but haven't made me. I get 6 months worth at a time and they never even ask to see him. He just goes once a year for his jabs. I'd just speak to them if I were you - They would rather you buy from them than go elsewhere.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
to be honest at the age of 27 i would not be bothering with blood tests to establish liver and kidney function. I would simply be going on how he feels. You know him totally and your judgement is far more vital than the bloods. I gave my very old horse pain relief and increased the dosage as he needed it, yes I knew it could damage his gut, but old age was more likely to claim him than the damage from the bute. My vets did not insist he saw them every year, they had respect for my knowledge of him, and how i looked after my other horses, the simply provided me with the bute when I asked for it. Im sure when you speak to your vets you will get a better price. its end of life care, and only one thing is certain, he is getting older and the prascend helps and you know what works.

cbmcts

Visit site
I'm going through this with my dog and metacam at the moment. If I buy his metacam from the vets it's £61 for 100ml. I can buy 180ml for £18ish from animed and the vets charge £17 for a prescription. That is annoying enough as it's still £17 on top of the consultation fee - it might be acceptable to charge if they haven't seen the animal on that occasion and would have to separately review his notes for a prescription - but shouldn't a meds review be part of a consultation? Also the RCVS say that prescription charges should be reasonable and that clients who ask for a prescription shouldn't be treated any differently to those who buy directly from the practice.

The vets tried to tell me that I would have to pay for 3 monthly blood tests (£100 odd everytime) if I had a prescription but not if I bought from them, then he would only need the standard annual test. It was exactly the same when I wanted a script for avocate - needed to see the animals every 3 months and would only prescribe 3 monthly. Again, if I bought from them they only needed to see them once a year.

After checking this out with the RCVS I went back to them and said that they were treating me unfairly compared to a client who bought from them and they could either price match within £10 (I don't mind paying a bit extra for convenience even though I always have to go back the following day to collect meds!) or issue the prescription as they would supplied medication. Head receptionist was more than a bit stroppy, implying that I was a bad owner and saying that most online purchases were fake which was the reason for the extra testing and that online meds weren't claimable on insurance - they are. Coop were very happy to pay up with copies of the script and receipt from animed. The practice owner was slightly more amenable or worried about being reported, who knows? He agreed to issue the script as requested.

I've bought meds online since the service first became available. You do have to be careful to use a reputable, UK based company to avoid fakes and if the prices are too good to be true, they probably are dodgy. With this dog I have already claimed £3k just for diagnosis and with a £5k limit on his insurance I could easily spend a large chunk the remainder in a couple of months just on meds at their prices. If I can save 50% or more online I would be foolish not to. I've also saved thousands over the years doing this with older, uninsured animals with longterm conditions and while I understand that any business needs to maximise revenue I'm afraid it's not going to be at my expense when I have valid alternatives.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I don't have anything to add to the advice given as I've no experience of this illness but I had to comment on your video.
He's awesome, what a cheeky sod but so cute bless him....there's definitely life in the old dog yet 😂😂😂😂😂

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I don't have anything to add to the advice given as I've no experience of this illness but I had to comment on your video.
He's awesome, what a cheeky sod but so cute bless him....there's definitely life in the old dog yet ����������

Thank you He is full of himself sometimes but never nasty or unsafe, he just likes to have a say in when we stop and when we keep going and videoing deer crossing the road right infront of you isn’t something he considers worth stopping for lol ;)

Thank you I’m glad you won your case against them and sorted it out. I have sent an email to the RCVS requesting their take on asking for things that aren’t required when I buy the meds from the vet.

I haven’t managed to speak to anyone as of yet, trying to get a call back is like catching smoke sometimes.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He does remind me of Frank at the moment, I'm glad it's not only him! Mum keeps threatening to stop riding him, clutching at straws she got the vet to check his eyes when he had his vaccs yesterday (and liver and ppid test, I have pointed out that he is supposed to be lethargic ;), not sure on the PPID though) unfortunatley for her I was right, he can see just fine ;)

Lintel

Visit site
So sorry BB what a horrible predicament.
Not sure which vets at, your quite close to me so I can only imagine your vets bills, as both are quite expensive round here. The vets I use have a couple of new vets who are very personable and it might be worthwhile having a chat with them if your with them.?
How about online prescriptions?
I'm currently watching Martin Lewis money show, you could maybe get some tips for other ways to save there?
All the best x