No mares

JBM

Visit site
See so many ads on Facebook looking for horses that say “no mares” and was wondering why??
Don't really understand the difference ?

Squeak

Visit site
As Paddi said, they can be a different ball game to a gelding riding wise. Also some of them might have geldings or a mare that can't go out with mares and so be restricted in that way.

Ratface

Visit site
I would never buy a mare. I like "hot" horses. The additional challenges brought by a mare would almost certainly over face my competence in riding and handling.
That said, I did once buy a complete bag of bones from a nearby field. She turned out be a nice young mare who I gradually rehabilitated, kept for a couple of years and eventually sold to a Pony Club home. They kept her until her retirement. She then became their much-loved family pet, and lived in luxury until being pts at thirty.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Everyone says that mares are grumpy yet the 2 grumpiest horses I've had have been geldings.

I love mares and now don't ride anything else (and mine are hot) I think they try harder for you. None of mine have had seasonal problems either, if they seem too 'seasonal' then they probably actually have hormonal issues that need helping.

Just treat then fairly, consistently and with respect and they will give you the world.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Tbh if someone knows they are not a mare person then it's probably best to be realistic about that ?‍♀️ I love mares, I have 5 at the moment and they're all different. But I understand some people just don't click with them at all so why try and force something.

My gelding is the biggest flirt I've ever owned ?

But as above, some yards may have turnout restrictions. I know 2 yards in my area that are geldings only.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Well I'd say they don't know what they're missing out on!! All bar one of mine have been mares and they've all been great temperament wise, current horse is quite hot but goodness does she try for you. She lives with two other mares and although they do bicker sometimes they are all very happy!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have a gelding so my next will (hopefully) be a gelding as it simplifies my life as they can be always be turned out together etc. Nothing against mares at all, if I owned a mare now I wouldn't want a gelding as my next horse particularly.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I never used to be a mare person, until I bought my foundation mare. Very happy to be converted. None of mine have been "mareish", some turned into flirts but not difficult when in season. Sadly I've recently lost my beautiful mare. I wouldn't hesitate to get another should one come my way.

fetlock

Visit site
I never got on with mares (where cats are concerned for me however, females win hands down) but the two sweetest in nature I ever had were both mares, but it was geldings I always really clicked with.

I always think of the old saying - you can tell a gelding, ask a mare and discuss it with a stallion.

PurBee

Visit site
I like mares, i trust mine more than my gelding to behave sensibly…most times - she has surprised me on occasion!

Hormonally stable, i only know she’s in season because the geldings behaviour changes, so i feel lucky on that score.

I think when people specify wanting a gender its likely more to do with their field/grazing/existing herd arrangement than preferring riding a mare or gelding.

When i rode various RS horses for chunks of years, overall i cant say there was a discernable difference in my rider experience on either gender - but if i had developed for some reason, a bias to riding a certain gender, im pretty sure my bias would be projected onto the undesirable gender, affecting the ride, thus helping me confirm my bias, and i would therefore be convinced there was a difference.
Different breeds of horses offer a different ride experience but for me, its never gender.

skint1

Visit site
My yard has some fields for mares and some for geldings. Its cheap and cheerful but we do have to do some things ourselves.

My ad would be geldings only as i dont want to be in the fields with most of the mares owners. :D

Haha, we are a special breed I guess :) Although... on my yard the people I would least want to be invovled with all own geldings :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I personally just always gravitate towards boys...my 2 horses are geldings, my 4 dogs are boys, all of my parrots are boys, my giant rabbits are boys lol.
I have yet to find a mare I particularly get on with but each to rhwir own. I've met some really lovely mares

Reactions: JBM

Emilieu

Visit site
The only thing that put me off viewing current horse was the fact that she was a mare. In all my riding school years I had only ever clicked with a mare once, and I was very firmly pro-geldings.
Thank goodness I went to view her. She is just so easy - I describe her as part mare part angel. I don’t know if it’s a mare thing or a Betty thing but I find her communication really clear. If something is wrong I can sense pretty much immediately what it is, whereas with my (Tb) gelding it was a never ending process of exploration to find out what might be upsetting him.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
They are a huge pain in the neck, awkward, opinionated and think too much. I have 4 right now and would change them all for geldings. I have done ok with them but I have a feeling if they were male they would have progressed in double the time.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am 100% a mare person. I used to believe I was preferred geldings because I believed they were ‘easier’. But I ended up with a mixture over the years and one day I sat and ranked all my previous horses in preference order. Including the twins ponies. The top 6 were mares, the bottom 6 were geldings. I wouldn’t have a gelding now.

Peglo

Visit site
I have 3 mares and they all very different. My cousins tiny gelding can’t be turned out with other geldings so I’ve gotten mares but I’m actually delighted. I’d choose an opinionated mare over a grumpy gelding every day. Only one of mine is very opinionated though, ones a big flirt (I’m not in a position to judge ?) and the other one is just the most chilled lassie. Most of my friends would choose geldings though.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Re being opinionated- I think they are cleverer and more independent minded. That can result in being opinionated but equally can result in a super clever kind mare who repeatedly gets the rider out of trouble. Jenny and Dolly were the easiest most angelic ponies ever. They were able to think for themselves which was often a very good thing!

Visit site
I like my boys. I quite like having my colts and stallions around when there are no mares about. The old boy is 30 now and has always had manners to burn. He is so easy and polite to deal with. The 2yo occasionally tried to push the boundaries as all youngsters do but accepts a telling off and learns from it. The 11yo is an utter pig at times. He only came to us in March and he knows his strength. He will come round to my way of thinking in a year or so if I don't shoot the damned thing first.

My geldings are weirdo pain in the asses at times. Thinking on it we only have 2 geldings kicking about now. The Welsh cob is useful for keeping the young lads company and playing with them. They darrmoor is just a punching bag for the mares. I dare no let him out with a Colt as he wouldn't last 2 seconds. He is as soft and as pathetic as they come ??

My mares are generally quite easy going to deal with when they get out of your face and stop rummaging through your pockets for sweets ??

Apart from the geldings everything else is a shetland and 2 of the mares are chestnuts ??

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Dolly has taught a total beginner teenager how to ride and they are now popping round 50 classes. Then she goes out with the owner and jumps 90+ classes. That adaptability is because she totally gets what different riders need. As does Jenny. When Jenny was being viewed by a wobbly 8 year olds she refused to canter. She’d pop a fence out of canter then come straight back to trot. The girl just steered - al the other choices were made by Jenny and she stayed super steady. She’s normally the whizziest of ponies. I adore mares.

Ali27

Visit site
I love mares! I’ve been looking for a youngster and would only consider mares! My complete pony of a lifetime is my 14.2 Ginger very whizzy 20 year old so actually Ginger mares are the best! ?

Zoeypxo

Visit site
2 yards near me only allow geldings, i assume due to turnout? Very annoying as i prefer mares.
The grumpiest horses i know are geldings, also the easiest offended horses i know are geldings ?

lme

Visit site
Another mare person. I have ridden some incredibly nice geldings but, if I am looking for a new herd member, I only consider mares. I understand mares and like the fact that I need to work on building a relationship with them. Of our current 6, the only 2 that are not mares are home bred. If sexed semen had been available, I would have used it, even if it doubled the stud fee.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Some yards only allow geldings. I know one person who has to keep her mare away from her home as the yard within walking distance is a gelding only one, she does have two geldings at this yard.